Author Topic: The House of Gardarr  (Read 15012 times)

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The House of Gardarr
« Reply #15: July 26, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
Askileon, Luria Nova, Dwilight

Weeks have gone by and Veronica had become used to the pitching and weaving of the Caravel she found herself a prisoner on … well maybe not a prisoner or that is to say against her will would be a better description.

She was still pouting at the injustice as she saw it, one day she was attending balls and banquets and the next her brother had whisked her away from Domus and she found herself boarding a ship from Fontan and on her way to Dwilight.

“It’s for your own safety he said, it’ too dangerous he said” Veronica mumbled to herself.

“What’s that my dear, still pouting?”

Veronica turned and glared at the speaker, her Guardian while she was exiled from her home.

“Your forget yourself Tess, I am in charge here, you best remember that” as she said that she felt a little bit guilty, Tess didn’t ask for this , she in fact was literally and figurative in the same boat as she was. Veronica broke eye contact and sat down on her cot in her little cabin, picking up her hair brush she started brushing her hair.

“Now, now child, let me” Tess took the Brush from her and slowly started brushing. “ It won’t all be bad, it might seem that your world has come to an end but you will adapt , see it as a new adventure in a far away land”

“I guess, but I really miss home” replied Veronica.” I know my dear, I know, there all better” Tess handed her a small mirror “There look for yourself, very pretty just like your mother”

Veronica glared at her Seventeen year old face.

“LAND HO!!!!”

Veronica was off her bed and heading for the Cabin door when Tess grabbed her, “Oh no you don’t, here, take your cloak” Tess handed her a hooded cloak. “Why though?” Veronica exclaimed.” You know why, come now put it on”. Veronica grabbed at the cloak “Fine, not like anyone would know who I was”

Veronica twirled with the cloak. “There happy?”

“Hood Up, milady”

Sighing Veronica put the hood up “I hate you so” smiling Tess led the way to the Deck of the Watcher of the Waves.

Its Magnificent, Veronica couldn’t take it all in, tall Buildings grew even taller as the Watcher of the Waves grew closer to the docks, there were hundreds, no thousands it seemed to her people bustling to and fro. Smells of Fish, food, smoke and sweat wafted towards her as the ship made dock.

The noise was deafening “Wait here and don’t move” Veronica barely acknowledged her guardian as she made her way to the gangplank, sending a runner into the crowd. It was so much, and Veronica wanted to see and do it all.

Veronica didn’t know how long she was standing there, but coming out of her daze she noticed the Captain talking to Tess and most of the sailor’s busy unloading cargo and goods. Her entourage, which consisted of mostly Guards assigned to her by her brother was gathered at the docks and loading her baggage on a carriage.

“Well that’s done, you ready?“ Veronica’s head snapped to Tess. “Ready?”

“Oh Veronica, where is your head, to disembark Girl. Duke Gottfried has sent a carriage to take you to the estate your brother had made arrangements for”

Mentioning her brother of late was a sure way to get Veronica’s hackles up, but at the moment that didn’t seem to faze her. She slowly made her way of the ship still taking in all of the scenery; her guards in a nonchalant manner mirrored her movements until she found herself stepping into the carriage. Tess joined her and with a rap of the roof of the carriage it set out with her guards slowly jogging alongside it. 

Veronica peered out of the carriage in awe as they made their way through the snaky roads; it was slow going as the streets were packed with people.  “You mentioned and Estate Tess?”

“I did. Your brother made arrangements and Duke Gottfried was generous enough to make available the Pinean Chateau for your needs. We are almost there now; we will retire for the evening and wait upon the Dukes call for you to attend him at court”

Veronica sat back in the carriage seat and sighed. Court, in a foreign land amongst foreign Lords and Ladies. She didn’t look forward to it one bit.

Not one bit.
Rand Gardarr/Tam Gardarr/Veronica Gardarr
Highmarch/Bara'Khur/Luria Nova

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 27, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »

Veronica and Tess was sitting in the garden of the Chateau Pinean, the view was breathtaking, a calm wind was blowing from the ocean, there was a slight chill in the air , but for the most part it would be a wonderful day.

… That is if Veronica could actually stay awake.

“This city is so noisy Tess, how do the people stand it” Veronica’s muffled voice could be slightly heard from where she laid her head on her arms.

Tess raised an eyebrow “Very unlady like my dear, come now sit up, here’s breakfast.”

Veronica slowly sat up and brushed her hair out of her face. The servers placed some hot porridge, fruits, almond milk and some honey on the table. Veronica poked at her porridge with her spoon.

Veronica noticed the butler place a tray with papers in front of Tess. “What are those?”

“Hmmm, news of day, correspondence, declarations, letters and such” Tess murmured

“Oh … letters? anything for me?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, two of them”, Tess handed the letters to the Butler and he carried them over to Veronica and placed them at her side. Veronica moved her porridge to the far side of the table and picked them up.

The Butler, cleared his throat “If I may Milady, this one, as he pointed to one of the letters bares the crest of House Wilkins, I believe it to be from Lord Leif Wilkins, Imperial Magistrate of Luria Nova.”

Veronica turned the letter in her hands muttering “Imperial Magistrate”

She broke the seal and removing the letter read it. “Oh Tess, the Magistrate has invited me to his Estate for …” quickly looking up at Tess, she continues “tea, he says he is currently marching to fight hordes of un-dead and monsters. That can’t be right Tess, there are no such things. Bandits sure, dressed in rags covered in filth yes, I once saw my brother hang some in Aestus, and I can imagine why the people would think them monsters but they are fairy tales and long stories definitely not real.”

“Yes dear” Tess murmured while still reading through the stacks of decrees.

Veronica folded the letter and placed it aside, picking up the second.

“Ahh Milady, now this is special” the Butler seemed very pleased. “That is the Crest of King himself, King Aylwin Gottfried, King of the Moon Hall” the butler was now positively beaming with pride.

At mention of the King even Tess seemed more attentive. “Well child open it up”

Veronica slowly broke the seal and started reading. With a squeal she jumped from her chair. Tess almost fell back and Veronica’s Guards went rigid where they were standing in the garden.

“A BANQUET!”

“The King is going to hold a banquet, I will need a new dress, Tess we need to go to shops, what colour am I going to wear. There is no date, but we have to get the fabrics if I am to have it made.”

Tess sat back down and the guards around the garden relaxed. Sighing Tess just looked at her ward.

I have to send a reply, and to the Magistrate as well. Lifting her skirts, Veronica dashed back into the Chateau. Two guards shadowing her as she disappeared into the Chateau.

Tess was drumming her fingers on the table when the Captain of the guard approached.

“Milady, this was also with the dispatches, I took it upon myself to remove it from the others.”  He handed Tess a missive.

It Read.

New Army Assignment

Your liege, King Aylwin Gottfried, has assigned you to the Emperor's Will.

“Milady, Emperor’s Will, is the army of the Moon Court” the Captain noted

Tess placed the missive with the other dispatches, “Very Well captain, please make arrangements for us to go into The City later today.”

“As you command Milady”

“And Captain no need to inform the young miss about her army duty just yet.” The Captain nodded to Tess as he left the garden.

Tess packed up the reports and headed into the Chateau. I was going to be an eventful day it seemed.

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 27, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »
Late Afternoon/Early Evening

As the Carriage came to a halt at Chateau Pinean, the footman barely had time to stop before the carriage door opened and Veronica jumped out. Behind her Tess was surrounded with packages, bolts of silk , trinkets and whatever caught the eye of the young Lady Gardarr.

"Come on Tess, I cant wait to choose the colors of the dress"

Tess glared at Veronica, "Dress?!? you bought enough Silks for ten dresses"

Veronica shrugged. The footman by now had enlisted the help of the Chateau servants and they had made enough space for Tess to make her exit from the carriage. "The bankers of Askileon are going to love the Lady Gardarr" Tess murmured.

Veronica tilted her head and with a faint smile said "Serves my brother right, what's he going to do?" Veronica's eyes followed the servants as they unpacked the carriage.

"Ooh the green silk" she said as a servant took it inside "So we ready to get started?"

With a sigh, Tess said "Patience child, there is more than enough time"

Before Veronica could go on another tirade, the Chateau's butlers must have seen Tess's Patience wearing thin, because he stepped in.

"Ah beg your pardon Milady, another letter arrived for you why you where out."

Veronica's eyes lit up, "Oh who is it from?"  So engrossed was she with the new letter she didn't even notice the careful prodding of Tess into the Chateau. She soon found herself in the parlor still tracing the faint lines of the heraldry on the seal.

"Alas Milady, i do not recognize this Heraldry, but i do believe it is from a young Knight recently arrived in the City." the butler commented.

"A knight in shining armor, how exiting" She broke the seal and started reading the letter"

With a frown she tilted her head and said "It is from a Knight, Alessio de Medici, but i hardly understand anything of it, it seems to be a list of Guilds in the City. The Great Halls of Luria, The Dwilight University, The Royal Rangers and the Grand Pantry, The Ordo Leonis and the Ordo Vulpes."

"I don't know what any of this means, he goes on to say we must march to war to face monsters." Looking up at Tess she said, "With all these guilds in Askileon, one would have thought there would be one to cater to Knights so wounded in battle they would have time to rest and come to their senses, before being sent to war again. Yes, i have decided as a lady of the court i will write to this poor Knight and insist he accompany me to a reputable healer, so i can make arrangements for his care."

Tess made quick eye contact with Veronica's Captain of the Guard, before saying "Yes dear, you can do that later, lets take a look at those silks shall we"

"O Yes", Veronica said in glee.

With the ladies busy with their silks, Robert the Butler noticed a maid motion him from outside of the parlor, stepping out of the parlor and closing the doors behind him he asked "Yes?"

"There is a messenger here to see the Lady, Robert?"

"Have you lost your wits girl, take the message and send him on his way" They young maid shook her head in the negative. "Not this one Robert, please you must come, your most senior, please Robert, i asked him to wait in the reception room" They way she was distressed bothered him. "Very well, i will see to him, now now, calm yourself"

"Thank you Robert" With that she made her way to the kitchens very hastily.

Robert looked at her one more time and headed to the reception room. As Robert entered the reception room he immediately noticed this was no ordinary messenger, his trained eye immediately caught the white chevalier emblazoned on the breast of the messenger.

Robert tilted his head in respect "Welcome to Chateau Pinean, current residence of the Lady Veronica Gardarr."

The messenger removed a letter from his tunic,"I have here a letter from Nicholas Archival, Suzerain Emperor of Luria Nova, Royal of Luria Nova, Marshal of the Amelioration Brigade for the Lady Gardarr." Even knowing the messenger from his embroidery, hearing the words flustered him somewhat. "Is the Lady of the Chateau available to receive the letter?" the messenger asked.

Now Robert has been doing his job for a long time and he has served many Nobles, and from the few days he had spent in the company of the Lady Gardarr, he knew if he let this messenger deliver the letter to her directly, the scene she would make would spread like wildfire in the Askileon.

"Alas the Lady Gardarr is currently indisposed, be assured, i will make sure she gets the letter as soon as she is available".

"As you wish" the messenger handed Robert the letter and with a bow made his exit from the Chateau.

Robert tentatively held the letter and made his way to the Parlor.

Silently opening the door he stepped in and looked at the young Lady Gardarr surrounded by all the silks she had bought, the Lady Tess seemed to be at wits end.

"Oh Robert, what do you think about this Blue silk?" she asked him."Very lovely Milady, the Blues would suit you."

She frowned as she placed it aside and picked up the Lilac colored Silk. Robert knew now was as good as any time. "Milady, another letter arrived."

"Hmm, oh is it from another poor Knight, i almost forgot i need to write that other Knight and make arrangements for his care , poor thing"

"No Milady this is one is from the Emperor of Luria Nova, himself"

It had been a long time since Robert had seen someone move so fast, once second he was holding the letter the next the Lady Gardarr had snatched it and was reading it out loud.

Lady Veronica,

Allow me to offer my personal welcome to Luria Nova. You arrive to us as we depart from a period of turbulence, and now I hope you shall join us in looking forward to the future and to a prosperity that shall benefit us all.

I would be interested in seeing you at the Imperial Court in the coming days. Though I have not the same time for leisure as I once did, I am ever interested to meet with those who arrive at our shores.

I look forward to meeting you.

Signed,
Nicholas Archival
Suzerain Emperor of Luria Nova
Royal of Luria Nova
Marshal of the Amelioration Brigade

Robert expected something ,anything ,but what he got was totally unexpected.

"MY LIFE IS OVER, I ALREADY ASKED THE KING WHAT COLORS HE WAS GOING TO WEAR TO THE BANQUET, HOW CAN I MATCH THE KING AND THE EMPEROR BOTH."

With that she dropped the letter and dashed out of the parlor up the stairs , slamming the door of her room. Her crying heard all the way to the parlor.

Tess was messaging her temples "Oh that Girl, what am i to do with her?"

Robert had no comment so he just made arrangements to cleanup up the parlor.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:19:45 PM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 28, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
Early Morning

Tess was standing in the garden, occasionally glancing up at the second story where Veronica's room was, the curtains were drawn. Veronica had not left the room since the previous evening. The box only made matters worse.

"Captain, did you dispose of the corpses?"

The Captain of Veronica's guard, Mikael motioned for Tess to follow him to the edge of the garden overlooking a drop leading to the ocean. "Yes, Milady. Seems some of the monsters made it over or around the wall. My men cut them down as they tried to scale the incline towards the Chateau."

Nodding Tess continued "And the Box?"

Captain Mikael frowned, "Also disposed of Milady, its is a good thing all packages delivered are screened in advance. I was able to convince the Lady Gardarr that the head sent to her by Knight Alessio de Medici was that of a malnutrition peasant with some birth defects. As you can imagine she was not pleased and sent him a scolding letter in return."

"Milady if i may?" Tess looked at the captain and nodded in the affirmative. "The Lady Veronica, is quite proficient with the bow, and she knows how to wield a dagger, sooner or later she will come to the realization that this place, Dwillight is not like East Island. It would be better if we prepared her for this now than wait for things to escalate further."

Tess stiffened up a bit, "I will take your advice under ... advisement. But for now, i believe i need to get that girl out of her room and busy again. Carry on Captain, i will send for you later, oh and Captain please make sure all future correspondence sent from Knight de Medici comes to me first"

"As you command Milady"

Glancing up at the shuttered windows, Tess made her way inside the Chateau. Robert was standing at the ready with a silver tray bearing yet again another stack of reports, and a sealed letter to the side.

"Morning Milady"

"Morning Robert, let me guess more intrigue from the realm, and is that a letter i see there."

With a smile Robert answered "Indeed Milady, and as for the letter it is of course addressed to the Lady Gardarr, if i may, it bears the seal of Lady Tyra Andrasta Bluelake, Countess of Grodno and Marshal of the Silver Hammer."

Tess was feeling a headache coming on "Well at least its not from some overbearing Knight again. I will take it upstairs, you can place the other reports in the parlor for now if you please Robert"

Robert, making a slight bow of his head left towards the parlor. Tess turned the letter over and was tempted to dispose of it but for a brief instance before making her way up the stairs.

Tess came to a stop in front of Veronica's door and trying to open it found it as expected bolted "Veronica dear, please come down breakfast is ready"

.. Silence ..

"Come now girl you cant stay locked up in there forever, it a new day. We have to get started on your dress ... the seamstress will arrive shortly. It wont do to have her waiting."

.. Silence..

With a sigh Tess looked at the letter in her hand, "I have a letter for you, its from the Lady Tyra Andrasta Bluelake, Countess of Grodno ..."

Bending down Tess slipped the letter under the door and made her way down the stairs to the parlor. She had barely sat down and picked up the reports when she heard pounding footsteps coming down the stairs. A few seconds later the parlor doors swung open and the disheveled figure of the Lady Gardarr was there in her full glory.

Her hair was knotted and unkempt, streaks of makeup on her face, the tears from the previous evening Tess suspected, and she was still in her wrinkled clothes from the previous day.

"What is wrong with this place Tess?!? First Magistrate Leif says hes is fighting a horde to the North, i assumed it to be barbarians or bandits"

A maid carried a washing basin into the parlor and another some clean clothes, another one some food on a platter. Behind them Robert closed the door to the parlor.

"Then i receive letters and a box containing the dismembered head of some poor malnutrition peasant from that oaf of a Knight Alessio. Oh he makes me so mad, claiming it was the head of a Goblin. Just wait till i get my hands on him ... or better yet maybe i should write his wife. She would understand that Knights don't send heads of peasants to Lady's of the court"

While this was going on the maids had started to undress the Lady Gardarr, who seemed oblivious to the fact. Another maid had started brushing her hair and gently wash her face with a cloth from the washing basin.

"And now" Veronica was still speaking even going as far as to try and wave the wash cloth from her face. "I receive a letter from a Countess.  And she also claims that it is every Nobles duty to face monsters attacking the City. Has everyone gone mad? Oh Tess lets head back to East Island, we could go to Fontan...".

Tess had poured herself a cup of tea and was sitting back just watching Veronica. One of the maids had picked up fresh bun with lots of butter and had handed it to Veronica. Who took it without much thought and was slowly nibbling on it.

There was a knock at the parlor door, one of the maids poked her head out and opened it for the seamstress. Veronica was still nibbling on her bun as the seamstress started measuring her for her dress.

"Hmm, this is good, any chance for some honey", Veronica asked?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:14:09 AM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 29, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
Mid Morning

Veronica steeled herself and approached Captain Mikael, he was currently giving orders to some of the sentries, his back towards her. He was an imposing  figure, a veteran of many battles in Highmarch, she usually would have left this to Tess, but after receiving a letter from the Countess Bluelake, she knew she had to do this herself.

At her approach the sentries deferred to her in respect and the captain glancing at her dismissed them. "Milady, how may i be of service?"

"Do you serve me Captain?" she asked

Mikael seemed to stiffen a bit before turning fully to her and giving her his full attention "Always Milady"

"Then explain the box! Explain why i have received confirmation from the very respected Countess Bluelake, that monsters and undead and all manners of foul creatures of the night are real and infest this land?"

Mikael noticed she was starting to get worked up as only the Lady Gardarr could, timid usually but fierce when pushed.

"Milady, i will not hold the truth from you anymore, yes ... this land is beset by hordes of creatures and the undead the likes East Continent had not seen in decades. As for the box, i will not apologize for keeping the sight from your eyes. But i do apologize deeply for keeping the truth from you, as to that truth it was indeed the severed head of what citizens of Dwillight refer to as a Goblin."

Captain Mikael unsheathed his sword and bending a knee held it up to Veronica. "Milady i offer you my sword as per House Gardarr traditions, shatter it and i will leave your service in dishonor, as is your right"

Veronica carefully took the sword from his hands and looked down upon him. The anger that was boiling a few minutes ago had already left her. "Oh, don't be silly, rise Captain and take your sword, silly men with your silly sword and silly traditions, all i want from you is the truth and your protection. I expect that in future you will spare me the sight of the unnecessary, but i demand that you not hold back for fear of hurting my feelings."

Mikael took his sword from her and standing said "You have my word Milady"

"Now about the Lady Bluelake, she made me a interesting proposition which i would like to discuss ..."

Before she could continue she noticed Robert the butler out of the corner of her eye, he was just standing out of ear shot.

"Oh Robert you waiting for me?" she asked as she stepped towards him. "Milady, forgive the intrusion, there are two messengers waiting in the reception room. Usually i would deal with them but one is from the King and the other from the Emperor, and it seems neither will leave without handing their letters directly to you milady, some sort of pride between the messengers, it seems." From the look on Robert's face he was not impressed by their attitude.

Veronica beamed "More letters from the King and the Emperor, how exciting."

"Indeed Milady" Robert replied.

Robert started to follow as she swept past him into the Chateau. Mikael already forgotten for now motioned for her guards to follow after.

The Lady Gardarr stepped into the reception room with a flourish, all smiles. "Welcome to Chateau Pinean, so sorry for making you wait".

The two messengers was taken aback by her enthusiasm. She noticed some refreshments had been placed but as yet untouched. "Oh how wonderful refreshments", she stepped over and picking up some plates she loaded them with food, turning she handed each messenger a plate. The Messengers where so shocked they just took it and tried to juggle the plates with the heaped food and their messages.

One of the messengers, had a letter and a small ornate case, since he was juggling the most Veronica decided to to help him by relieving him of his burden. "Oh poor dear so sorry let me help you with that."

Now there is an unspoken rule between messengers a sort of pecking order if you will, and Veronica had just turned that on its head as she unknowingly took the letter and ornate case from the Kings messenger first. In cases like this there was not much that could be done, but the Emperors messenger was staring daggers at the Kings messenger who had the largest smirk on his face.

"Oh how beautiful." The King had sent her a fine necklace consisting of rare gems cut from the Chrysantalys Mines. "Oh how wonderful the King says they change color depending on the light"

Holding the necklace up she turned and asked the messenger "Help me put it on please?"

The Messenger almost dropped his plate, "It would be an honor Milady" Veronica moved her hair to the side as the messenger took the necklace and closed the clasp firmly. Stepping back he quickly retrieved his plate where he put it on the end table.

Giggling Veronica turned and said, "Its gorgeous, i will have to thank the king when i see him at the banquet." Still looking at the necklace Veronica seemed to remember there was another messenger in the room.

"Oh how silly of me, you have a letter for me from the Emperor?" she asked the messenger.

"Yes, Milady. His Imperial Maje...." Before he could finish Veronica had snatched the letter from him and broken the seal and was reading the letter.

With her hand on her heart she slowly left the reception room reading the letter, deep in thought, the messengers totally forgotten.
​
The Kings messenger eating from the plate Veronica had given him shrugged and smiled slyly at the Emperor's messenger, who in turn placed his plate on the table and left the Chateau Pinean in a rush, leaving the Kings messenger with the biggest grin ever.

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 29, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
Roleplay from Nicholas Archival

The crown was a heavy thing. The weight of its storied history; the weight of the great men and women who had come before him; the weight of expectation and the pressures that accompanied them. It was enough to turn even the noblest mind queer, if one was not careful. Is this what changed Aldrakar so quickly?

He could almost understand the changes in his predecessor now, as he crossed the Imperial Throne Room and approached the throne that Aldrakar sat upon, while wearing the crown that Aldrakar bore. Observant eyes watched him from all corners of the room, as various members of the court and visitors parted aside to allow him an unfettered path.

With some finality, he reached the dais. A servant diligently moved forward to accept his cloak, before Nicholas took his seat. He shifted uneasily, before an enforced relaxation brought him still. He then looked ahead, to behold the palace that was now his. Hopefully it would not all come crashing down upon him.

Who would be the first to approach, he wondered.

Afternoon

"Stop fidgeting Veronica"

Veronica dropped her hands from where she was fidgeting with the necklace the King had given her. Usually such a comment would illicit quite a fierce response from her, but she felt that if she would open her mouth she might just throw up.

Tess leaned closer to her "You do look very pale, maybe we should skip this court day?" she murmured.

Veronica sat upright at that comment "No .. no i'm fine just a bit hot, nothing serious i will be alright"

Sitting back Tess nodded, "Well seems its too late now, we are here."

The Carriage, bearing the heraldry of House Gardarr came to a stop in front of the Imperial Palace. The footman climbing down placed the steps and slowly opened the carriage door.
​
The Lady Veronica Gardarr has come to the Imperial court. Lifting her dress she slowly stepped out of the carriage.

Roleplay from Alessio de Medici

Alessio rode up to the Imperial Palace upon a pale horse, calling to the guards on watch. He was wearing yellow gambeson, below a dark, dirtier cloak, which he tore off as he spoke.

"Take me to our Emperor, good men. I have business with him."

Upon the confirmation of Alessio's identity and purpose, an imperial guardsmen in impeccably wrought steel beckoned the nobleman into the Imperial Palace. He offered few words as they moved through the grand corridors of the complex, which were clearly currently amidst several renovations and adjustments. The banners of House Renodin had already been replaced, however, by the White Chevalier of House Archival, one of the first steps in making his appointment official.

At the end of the travels through the palace was a magnificent, gilded doorway. The huge, oak doors had already been spread open for the day's courts and many aristocrats and attendees already filtered in and around the court. It seemed that no one had yet decided to place themselves upon the pedestal of being the first to approach the new emperor, however, and a figure sat ahead upon the Imperial Throne, attended only by another set of imperial guardsmen upon the dais, while a number of servants flitted nearby.

Despite the ornate, resplendent wealth of the crown he bore, otherwise Nicholas' attire was left in relative simplicity. The craft of the clothing was of an artisan quality, but he made no effort for ostentatious colours; instead, his attire was coloured a warm cream. His relative youth, too, was also clear even from afar; though he was a man grown, he was yet to reach his thirtieth year.

A courtier tentatively moved forward and whispered in his ear, while gesturing toward Alessio. The imperial monarch nodded slowly, before his gaze found the knight and with a subtle motion, waved him forward.

Alessio struts past the numerous aristocrats, his chainmail boots clanking as he alone walks down the hall. He positions himself in front of the throne, bowing, before getting upon a lone knee.

"First and foremost, I pledge myself to your service," he states, before immediately getting back up and clasping his hands behind his back, carrying on speaking. "That aside, I have several matters to bring to your attention, your Imperial Majesty."

"Next on the list, as perhaps you are well aware, I am fond of the power of the quill. It is the aim of any loyal author to have the imperial seal upon any of their works, or to best yet, have the opportunity to write the biography of their ruler. As such, I offer myself to write the royal biography, or any such other text you deem necessary. It would be an honor to write such alongside my current works. What say you, my Emperor?"

As Alessio's words concluded, Nicholas quietly regarded him for a few, long moments, before he nodded once in solemn assent.

"I accept your pledge, Sir Alessio de Medici," he began. "For as long as you serve me honorably and truly, you shall reap all the benefits of that which you earn."

With that, he affixed the man with a firm gaze.

"Luria's greatness comes from the meritocracy of its rule; those who are ambitious and driven, and those who prove themselves worthy, receive the rewards that they are due. As such, I will not accept or refuse your request - yet. Show to me and show to the Hegemony your ability to wield that quill, and you will have what you seek. Perhaps a worthy addition to the University of Dwilight may showcase what talent you have to offer."

Alessio responds with a nod. "Then I shall have a collection of my works on your desk in five days time? Or would three or seven be more agreeable to you? Any variety you have in demand - military, philosophy? My greatest work is of morality, specifically in religion and politics and the relationship of the three. For this, I would ask that you reach out to our allied nations of my behalf and send them my contact details. I am unable to do so, and I would see it improper to go behind your back for such. I also do intend to join the University of Dwilight in the immediate future. As soon as I have the opportunity to return to Askileon with my unit, I shall sign up."

Alessio ponders a moment, pressing his thumb and index finger to his face. "Literature is the living memory of a realm. I ask that to be kept in mind with your decision. After such, I have just one more matter to raise." he bows his head, awaiting a response.

Imperial Court

Veronica's heart was pounding a mile a minute. She was at awe of the beauty of the palace, but the closer she came to the great hall and the gilded doors the more she was starting to panic.

As she passed the threshold of the doors she noticed the Emperor on his Imperial Throne, he was having a conversation with a Knight.

Keeping her head down she moved to the side and placed herself behind some Nobles.

Nicholas shook his head as Alessio began to delve into the specifics of the task.

"Sir Alessio, this is not an official assignment or task. There is no deadline or specificity required, except for that which you assign to yourself. Prove your skill in the manner of your choosing, at the speed of your choosing... and, as for your contact details, I will see it done in the next few days."

As he took a pause to await the man's next request, his attention was caught, briefly, by the arrival of another aristocrat, though she was more well-attired than Alessio. Most who strode into the throne room did so with pride and vigour, eager to capture the attention of the imperial monarch. It had taken Nicholas precisely twenty minutes of his first court to realise this particular fact. Those that hid themselves or shied away from sight were somewhat of an anomaly. He endeavoured to revisit the matter for his own curiosity soon enough, but for the time being, he returned his focus to the knight before him.

"You have my ear," he announced to the man, a prompt for him to raise the next topic.

Alessio perks an ear. "I see, my Emperor. I bid you my thanks regarding such - if I can be aware prior to you contacting, which nations can I expect contact from? You need not answer now if your diplomatic missions are in the works, as I shall accept letter at a later date." He dusts off a shoulder, looking around the room before continuing. "The last topic concerns my aspiration to become a diplomat, or ambassador, of our great realm. By which means can I, or should I, prepare? I have already familiarized myself with our current relations to other realms and our treaties, from the Articles of Restitution for the Third Lurian War to the likes of The Empires' Accord."

Roleplay from Goriad Gabanus

Goriad had been in the palace for weeks and as such he was learning his way around the halls.

An announcement had been carried that the Emperor was receiving guests and petitions and Goriad had been present at enough courts to know what would follow. The minor nobility would flock to gain the favor of the new emperor and his administration. While many would not get to speak with the Emperor, merchants would enter and seek the new ministers for trade, or the new harbor master.

When Goriad arrived the room was already filled with many guests, but the day was still early. His attire was appropriate for the occasion, fine silk, but not as impressive of many of the merchants and minor nobility around him. He sought to mingle and blend in without being noticed.

He spoke with a group of minor merchants as a noble knight entered the palace and pledged his loyalty. Many in the room stopped to behold it, so did Goriad.

Alessio received a stare, before - abruptly - the emperor began to laugh. Though it was not boisterous or mocking, the warm mirth of the imperial monarch rang throughout the throne room, causing many to pause and listen. For a man usually so formal and reticent, it was a surprising moment of simple comfort and amusement.

"You certainly do not lack for ambition, Sir Alessio," he replied, still grinning broadly. "The rights to the imperial biography, contact information for foreign rulers and now publicly formalizing your interest in taking upon ambassadorial work. You ask a great deal for your first visit to the palace..."

At that, he canted his head, regarding the knight again, before continuing.

"But I appreciate the candor of it. Speak to Earl Benedict, Lady Kaguya and King Matthew. All three have experienced diplomatic excursions and I would have you learn from them and what they have to say."

Roleplay from Marjorie de Chevalier

Dame Marjorie had been pleased to finally be off the ship from Giask. The sea had never been her friend, and she was eager to return to the north. She had thought that she would leave immediately, but she could tell that this would not have been a popular decision amongst her retinue. They had already defended Giask, and surely they could be allowed one night's rest before continuing their journey north, she thought.

Said and done, she allowed the fine men in her service an early pay and watched as they made for the nearest tavern. She, however, had other plans.

She waded through the unwashed masses of Askileon by horse until the imperial palace was in plain sight. There, she continued by foot to be greeted by the imperial guard.

"You live?"

The guard recognised Dame Marjorie from her visits to the former Emperor Aldrakar, though he had not seen her now for many months.

"Aye," Marjorie replied, "I am here to pledge my allegiance to the Emperor."

After exchanging a few words, the guard escorted her through the grandiose halls and walkways of the palace until they had reached the throne room with its gilded, oaken doors. There, she could not help but to marvel at the finely cut dresses, the shining armours and the glimmering jewels priding every neck, finger and wrist of the aristocrats. She, herself, wore a metal armour of simple design and impeccable craftsmanship, with no other jewels or points of pride other than the golden sigil of her house, fashioned into a clasp for her royal blue cape. Her hair, black as night, still had that windswept quality that comes from traveling by sea.

She saw that the Emperor was already occupied with attending to a nobleman she was not familiar with, and so she was content to join the sea of patricians for the time being. Fate, it would seem, had brought her close to the one she did not yet know to be Veronica Gardarr.

Roleplay from Leif Wilkins

Leif walked up to the entrance of the Imperial Palace. He wore a dark green gambeson bearing the crest of his family, his left index finger was heavy with the signet ring of the Imperial Magistrate. His face bore a vertical scar stretching from his temple to his ear, a wound he earned during his legendary stand in Ciaran Tut, a battle in which he stood alone against a horde quadruple the size of his own.

Next to him stood his trusted captain Xavier, and his new Lieutenant Rueben. They both wore black chainmail interwoven with leather, a recent innovation and armor  given to the Moonhall Sniper platoon.

Leif approached the gate guard with a smile "Good men, I am here to share the company of our new Emperor. Long may he reign!"

"Long may he reign", replied both guards simultaneously.

"I will send word, Imperial Magistrate" nodded the guard on the right. "Please, do come in and take a seat in the meanwhile"

Alessio beams a smile to the Emperor.

"Perhaps it shall be a shame that such is the limits of my ambition, at least for the near future. For all I ask are additional ways to serve the crown upon your head, and you yourself, my good Emperor. I shall write them upon my departure, I am in gratitude. Long may you live." he says, before giving a quick salute, the sound of chainmail clanking on the hall returning as he leaves. Outside the hall itself stood a man in dark clothes, most notably of all a hat with a large overhanging rim.

Alessio looks to him, motioning his hand towards him. "Prepare the birds, Raskolnikov, I have letters to write." as he left the palace.

As Sir Alessio departed, one of the palace stewards stepped up to deliver another hushed message to the emperor. After listening, Nicholas deftly motioned for the steward to return with a message of his own.

"Inform the Magistrate that the hospitality of the palace is for him to enjoy. If he wishes to attend court, he is welcome to do so... if not, he is to be invited to my study afterwards. And make sure there is a chess board prepared."

Thereafter, Nicholas returned to surveying the emperor's court - his court - with a renewed interest. Alessio's approach had proven worthwhile; would the next?

Imperial Court
Roleplay from Veronica Gardarr

Alessio? Did the Emperor say Alessio? Veronica moved behind what she assumed to be a Knight dressed in metal Armour, with royal blue cape, with a golden sigil on the clasp.

Hiding behind the Knight she peered around him to see the Knight Alessio start to make his exit from the Imperial Hall.

Murmuring to herself she says "So that's what he looks like, the oaf"

Leif was sitting in a lobby laughing with his men, recalling the recent courtship attempt of a local knight by sending a head of a young goblin to a newly arrived dame. Being legendary for his ability to please and seduce women, Leif held his palm to his forehead as he held back tears of laughter. He found the folly of chivalrous courtship equally humorous and entertaining.

After wiping a tear out of his left eye, Leif saw the Imperial Stewart making his way. Leif straightened out, and welcomed the Stewart with a smile and a bow.

"Imperial Magistrate, the Emperor is keen to see you." He leaned closer to Leif, bending down at the knee to reach the dwarf's ear "The Emperor offers you to meet him at his study in case you would prefer it over a public greeting".

"It would please me to see him in public. Once I have greeted our Emperor in the court, take me to the study. I trust you may have a chess board handy?" Leif whispered back.

"As you wish Magistrate" responded the Stewart, motioning his hand inviting Leif and his men into the hall.

As Leif made his way through the great hall leading to the throne, some court ladies bit their knuckles, others whispered to each other not taking their eyes off of his, and some blushed red. He smiled as he walked, pleased that he still held the same element, but knew that his days of experiencing new beds would be much slower while he held his new title.

As Leif made it to the foot of the stairs that led up to the throne he saw Nicholas.

This man looks exactly as he should, and is sitting in the right seat. Nicholas is looking damn fine, Leif thought.

Without a word, Leif bowed deeply.

Dame Marjorie watched as Sir Alessio departed the throne room and noted that some critter of a girl hid behind her. Gently, she reached out to place a plated finger-tip on Veronica Gardarr's chin, to lift it up. "Stand with pride," she said, with some motherly undertone, "you are in the presence of the Emperor."

The Dame noted that no one moved to steal the Emperor's attention, and so she decided it must be her turn. Without further ado, she released the girl from her grasp and moved to take the scene, eyes steadily on the cream-coloured Nicholas Archival, fresh on his throne.

"Sir Leif Wilkins, Imperial Magistrate of Luria Nova," announced the steward to the court, upon his return to the throne room.

In response, Nicholas set his eyes forward to await the approach of the nobleman. Well, there's no mistaking him, he noted to himself with a smile. Leif could hardly be recognized as any other. The rumors about him appeared true, too; while many of the court's women and maidens had tittered and blushed at the sight of the emperor, it was not quite in the same manner. Nicholas was becoming known for his chastity... while Leif was certainly not.

At the Magistrate's bow, he dipped his head into a small inclination. "I bid you welcome, Imperial Magistrate," he declared. "The hospitality of the Imperial Court is yours."

With that, he reclined back against the throne, and observed intently Leif's reply... just as another aristocrat stepped forward to have themselves seen. He acknowledged her with a look, and seemed content to permit her to remain where she was; at the very least, she had jumped the queue to just behind the Magistrate himself.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:44:50 PM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 29, 2018, 07:13:03 PM »
Imperial Court

Veronica was still peeking at the retreating Knight Alessio, when she felt a cold finger on her chin lift her head. She was about give the Knight a stern lecture, when she noted that he was in fact a she. The Knight was imposing, her dark black hair flowing down her breastplate.

"Stand with pride," she said, with some motherly undertone, "you are in the presence of the Emperor." Releasing her chin she turned and moved towards the Throne. Veronica didn't know where to look some eyes was on her . She was about to step into the throng again when she noticed that the Emperor had motioned for the Dark haired Knight to wait a few minutes. While she was talking to Veronica, another had entered just ahead of her and approached the Emperor.

The Emperor had greeted him as Leif Wilkins, Imperial Magistrate of Luria Nova. Veronica tilted her head and spoke to herself. "He is a bit short for a Magistrate isn't he?"

Roleplay from Myr Arnickles Renodin

"Askileon holds quite an event, my lord, Imperial Ascension of His Imperial Majesty Nicholas Archival. Shall we depart?" Alma asked Myr, pleadingly hiding his dueling equipment.

Young knight just smiled,"Dear captain, you know I must stay till the morrow. Knowing Nick... I mean, knowing His Imperial Majesty the receptions will continue tomorrow and the day after. You would have to kill me to stop me from attending..."

Myr winked over his smile as Alma frowned

"... then again if I won't be... able. If I won't be able to attend, please send him the best bottle of Tekian ale we have, along with my deepest apology."

As Leif came up from his bow, he saw a smile formed on the Emperor's face.

"I bid you welcome, Imperial Magistrate," he declared. "The hospitality of the Imperial Court is yours."

Leif smiled back and knelt at the knee, holding his right fist to the left side of his chest "That is very kind of you my Emperor, it is a pleasure to finally see you again. I wish to congratulate thee on the well earned station. Long may you reign!"

Xavier and Rueben remained at the foot of the stairs, and too knelt on their right knee and echoed "Long may you reign!".

Leif stood up, and brushed off his knee. "Many have come to see you, I hope the throne is comfortable!" he smiled.

Knight temporarily absent
Sevastian was seriously wounded in a duel against Myr today.

Roleplay from Matthew Coffey

"Holding court are we?" Matthew rubbed his chin, having heard the news from a nearby herald in the inner walls of the city. Having crossed the urbs before his retinue, the stout young man had been looking for more personal items. After all, his armour needed refitting after four years of gathering dust, and a better weapon he could now afford. "I'll return for the armour by tomorrow, I expect it to be finished." The armourer sighed, waving the noble off to continue his work. Matthew knew the gold couldn't be turned aside, nobles always pay well, but the time they expect such work to be fashioned was always a headache.

The guards of Askileon numbered many more than his home, and there were banners to boot of many more martial nobles still. Let alone how many might be here without retinue. It didn't matter much to him, he had no time for soldiery at the moment. Approaching up the marble steps to the Imperial palace, that place where Renodin had sat for much of his adult life in Luria, Matthew recalled when he had last made this ascent. That was when he was a Viscount and Aldrakar had been made Emperor. How time flies by, he grinned to himself.

"I'm here to see our Suzerain," he announced curtly to the guards, not breaking his stride, "I will not be barred." The guards at first seemed hesitant, perhaps even resistant to such claim, but the Imperial defenders knew their heraldry better than run-of-the-mill warriors. As he got close, the heraldry of house Coffey became apparent, and the way was unblocked. Now, let's see how ridiculous Nicholas looks in the Imperial attire.

The hall was packed, as always. Second heirs and wizened bureaucrats plied the court for favours and boons. There were a few notables in their midst, however. Wilkins, de Chevalier, and a few new ones... Mouthing the names as he slowed to a plod, Matthew found himself meandering haplessly into the crowd gathered about the base of the Imperial seat. No doubt his large presence, both literally and metaphorically had drawn a few looks. However he was contented to be an observer for now, he had not seen the new Imperial Magistrate in their function yet, and still wondered what his former peer thought of him and his realm.

Leif stood up, and brushed off his knee. "Many have come to see you, I hope the throne is comfortable!" he smiled.

A smirk found Nicholas' lips at that. "Less comfortable than I had hoped, but more than I had feared," he answered, before inclining his head a second time. "I will be looking forward to that game of chess later this afternoon."

With that, he motioned for Marjorie to step forward and present herself. He appraised her attire for a moment - such fine armour was expected of his new array of guards, but not of the aristocrats who they watched over. Though, as she approached, he spied a waddling figure making his way through the crowds and throngs. Though no words were spoken, he sought to catch Matthew's eye, in order to give him a short, imperceptible nod of recognition.

"Honestly, Alma, can you not tie the straps? How long will it take?"

"If you stopped fidgeting, it would be faster... my Lord." - Alma eyed the young knight carefully.

"Apologies." - Myr calmed down a little - "I can't even recall when was the last time I worn a cape. Must've been when Aldrakar was sitting the throne. Things were simpler back then. And I certainly needed not to announce myself back then, Renodinian lion opened the gates of Imperial Halls just as well as Emperor's direct order."

"Surely His Imperial Highness will be glad to see you. Weren't you friends?" - asked the captain trying yet another knot on the straps of the cape.

"We still are! I should hope so. Frankly I'm certain I will feel much more at ease in Emperor Nicholas' presence than I did in Aldrakar's. He is yet to become legendary and even then it won't wipe the memories of camraderie between the two Lion Knights." - Myr dove deeper into memories -"Good old Aldrakar, have I disappointed him? I stood true to my vows, even in face of threat and infamy, I shown courage, even when I felt none, I fought for honour and good name, I hope I filled the boots of a knight quite well... I can only hope I am now worthy to wear my name with pride. Even though I am no longer in the second decade of my age I still can't help but think if I am truly ready..." - Myr thought out loud.

"Ready!" - said the captain.

"Oh, thank you Alma, that's very..." - but Alma interrupted him, saying:

"I mean the cape. It's ready."

"Oh." - Myr hid the flush of embarrassment by summoning a servant with a mirror.

What he saw was not a boy playing a knight but a man, clad in pristinely polished full plate armour, shining with silvery gleam. The chestplate was hidden behind the long tabard depicting red lion of Arnickles branch of House Renodin. The golden lion of Ordo Leonis adorned his shoulderguards, partly covered by the red cape gently flowing behind his back all the way to the floor. How different was this image from the one from three years ago, when he walked into this very hall, with an armour he bought from a widow after a cavalry officer, an armour that was to heavy to walk through the entire city in it - and yet he did - an armour that was too old and rusty to polish all the imperfections away - and yet he did, he walked right into the Imperial Hall, with the face of someone who's about to have a godhood bestowed upon him, as if he would stand among the heroes of marble and granite from the tales he heard in his youth and walk among them as an equal...

"Hmm..." - he growled.

Three years of strife on the battlefield and - less willingly - in the courts of politics did matured him but did not change him. He was still the knight of the same conviction and the same resolve. And of course - the same youthful glee for his friend's imperial ascension...

Myr approached the gate and three heavy knocks of halberds on the granite floor followed by opening of the gates announced his entry. He walked inside confidentnly, only through peripheral vision he acknowledged all the noble guests: roundish shape of King Matthew was there, the Imperial Magistrate could not be mistaken with anyone else, noble Goriad of Swordfell stood in a secluded spot by the wall, several other nobles he did not recognize flocked around the Emperor. He also noted the absences, most porminently Sir Emyhr and Countess Tyra, one presence would be most reassuring, the other most infurtiating... there is balance for all things in life - he though, or was it chaos? He approached Nicholas Archival and bowed in the most ceremonial fashion he could manage. Straightening back up he bellowed with a strong voice and melodic accent:

"Your Imperial Highness!" - the title was a request for permission to continue, the look of Nicholas' eyes was consent, so Myr did continue - "I greet thee Suzerein Emperor Nicholas Archival! Long may you reign!" - he looked up at Nicholas, immediately noticing the elevation of the throne, the only two people he would ever need to look up at were Sir William and King Karibash. A smirk painted Myr's face, one that added friendliness and familiarity but didn't subtract respect owed to the ruler.

Dame Marjorie strode forth with purpose, with her plated boots signalling her approach. As she reached the steps of the throne, some small smirk had appeared on her face, with a glint in her eyes betraying her thoughts. How quickly one's luck can change, she might have said, had they been alone. Instead, she drew her blade - fine steel, of no extraordinary design - and thrusted its tip into the ostentatious floor of the throne room, and knelt.

"Once, I pledged my allegiance to you, Your Imperial Majesty. Then you did not want it, for you served Aldrakar Renodin loyally as his Magistrate. Now that the tyrant has been ousted, I offer my allegiance again - and hope that you will accept my blade, my house and my service. House de Chevalier stands with the rightful Emperor of Luria, Nicholas of House Archival."

As Nicholas waved Marjorie forward, another came forth with the sure-footed stride of a knight. Myr and Marjorie arrived at the base of the dais concurrently, and in response he quirked a brow at the former's abrupt entry - though there was no displeasure in it. There were a few whispered words amidst the court, in response to Marjorie's words of tyranny, but Nicholas himself appeared to leave any response he might have unsaid.

"Dame Marjorie, Sir Myr," he answered, projecting his voice so that it might carry throughout the lofty confines of the hall, "I bid you both welcome to the Imperial Palace."

With that, he allowed another smile to reach his lips. He beckoned for the Dame to stand once again, before allowing his initial focus to remain upon her.

"I accept your blade and your service, Dame Marjorie de Chevalier. For so long as you remain true to your pledge and to your fealty, you shall ever have a home and succour within my halls. Continue to prove your talent and your skill, and know that you will be rewarded."

Nicholas nodded at that, largely to himself. Aldrakar had favoured lengthy words of fealty, but the new emperor appeared to have decided against it for his own reign, despite the grandeur of the ceremony and the palace themselves. Then, his gaze shifted to Myr, with a wry look in his eye.

"Sir Myr, I thought you would have departed by now - though I am glad for the chance to see you at court at least once. We shall have to ensure you yearn for what you miss after your departure, hm?"

At the words of the Emperor Myr almost chuckled out loud: "Dear Ni... uhm, Your Imperial Highness, I would've already been far north if not for a... certain matter." - he hid the blood-stained gauntlet behind his hip and instantly scolded himself mentally - He already knows you were dueling, you idiot!

"I will stay for the ceremony and embark immediately afterwards." - he added in a bit more solemn mood - "However I am Lurian at heart and Lurian at heart I shall remain, I will one day return, to better serve the Empire... and of course His Most Esteemed Imperial Majesty..." - he feigned grandiloquent tone.

Marjorie rose to stand again, quickly sheathing her weapon before returning her full focus to the man on the throne. "I will do so. Immediately, with His Imperial Majesty's leave. I intend to travel to Ciarin Tut to join our efforts in reclaiming this province."

Marjorie's facial expression was strained, and it was further accentuated whenever Sir Myr, the baboon that had stolen her audience, spoke, but she otherwise maintained a cool and deferential tone when addressing the Emperor of Luria.

Nicholas set upon Myr a knowing look, making it clear - even without words spoken upon the topic - that he was aware of what the knight briefly attempted to hide. But a second later, he turned his attention to Marjorie, to whom he offered a firm nod, though he had also apparently taken note of her consternation.

"Ride well, Dame Marjorie. Know that you go with the blessing of the Imperial Throne. Lady Kaguya is a good friend, and I would have her region restored to her forthwith."

Once the dame had departed, he turned to answer the remainder of Myr's words.

"I know well your patriotism, and I will let none deny it. For as far as you travel, you will remain Lurian in the eyes of your homeland. Though I would sooner see that you remain, I understand your desire to spread your wings. Had fate not aligned for me in this manner, I may have been the one travelling far afield."

At that, he made a brief scan of the hall, to see if any others intended to step up to speak; King Matthew was nearby, as was the shy noblewoman and perhaps even Lord Goriad was present - though if he was, Nicholas would not have recognised him.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:32:43 AM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: July 31, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »

It was clear he had noticed Nicholas' prying eyes on the crowd he stood among, but Matthew was content to await the two knights before the Emperor. Once they had seemingly finished, then emerged the young King rather unsubtly from the throng of nobles. As usual of these unannounced visits, he lacked the royal attire for a formal ceremony, instead attending in a thick gambeson coloured in his family heraldry.

"I won't be stopping for long, but, I figured I should pay a visit whilst you were present." Matthew cut in from the group, giving the new Suzerain a good look over on his throne. "I would say it suits you, but you don't nearly have the bulk to fill out that enormous seat. You should work on that." He refrained from grinning, instead taking on a more serious tone for his jibe, accompanied by a sweeping and imperious glance at the court.

"Nevertheless, the realm calls and it seems I will not be travelling the road to Ciarin Tut alone anymore. I would join the ceremonious oaths and what have you, but it might be a bit short lived given my record on the field of battle. Perhaps after we've dealt with the beasts?" His gaze shifted toward Marjorie for just a moment, as if to grab her attention. "I expect that the armies of northern Luria to be feasted on our return, out of your magnanimous and deep pockets." He finally let out a grin, bowing with a flourish. "Suzerain Emperor, Nicholas."

Myr nodded politely to the Emperor and quitely stepped aside, allowing other nobles to present themselves. He looked around the room for someone to keep company when he spied the foreign emissary mingling with some lesser nobility by the far end of the hall. The man oddly enough would go completely unnoticed by Myr if not for a sheer fluke. Myr strode towards him and could not shake the feeling that the man spotted him the second he started walking, perhaps even recognized his intent before he even moved.

Coming near the emissary Myr uttered his greeting - "Sir Goriad. How fine to finally have a chance to meet our foreign guest in a situation that allows for a little chat. Is it Sir Goriad or Lord Goriad? I wouldn't want to make a mistake."

Myr knew Goriad's face since he saw it during Isabella's rebellion, he also knew of him - Fellish noble's name was uttered with respect and admiration usually reserved for heroes from the epic tales Myr was so fond of during his childhood, yet no tales were told of that man.

"From what I've heard you are a well-travelled individual, and I myself am about to embark upon an adventure... forgive the curiosity but I wanted to enquire if you would have any wise counsel?" - Myr offered an innocent grin with his question, young knight would not pass up any occasion to learn from those more experienced than himself.

Dame Marjorie had remained in the throne room after concluding her audience with the Emperor. As she forged through this sea of silks, jewels and perfumes, sickness had overcome her and she felt it necessary to stand as close to the room's exit as possible while she awaited her King. She cast a quick glance to a passing Sir Myr, and he might have noticed a darkness to her eyes that likely give a hint as to how she feels towards this man.

As King Matthew shifted his gaze to Marjorie, she bowed her head in understanding and some smile of relief was brought to her lips. They would leave soon.

Imperial Court

Veronica slowly made her rounds through the throng of Nobles in attendance. Her eyes followed Dame Marjorie as she moved away from the Emperor and situated herself close to the exit. Veronica found her fascinating, well at least now that she was at the other side of the throne room from her.

Her eyes shifted to the Knight that was with her, he had noticed another Noble among the throng and had approached him. Veronica was a bit closer to the front of the Throne room that she would have like to be, but as the Emperor continued holding court her heart flustered less and she was slowly becoming more relaxed.

With the two knights departing a heavy set man stepped out to speak to the Emperor, Veronica halted as she heard him speak to the Emperor in such familiarity.

"I won't be stopping for long, but, I figured I should pay a visit whilst you were present. I would say it suits you, but you don't nearly have the bulk to fill out that enormous seat. You should work on that."

Veronica was taken aback, looking around she didn’t notice anyone else show concern at his words. Who was this man who could speak to an Emperor so casually almost as an equal?

She wanted to have a closer look at him, slowly making her way closer she felt a jolt. A Jolt, someone had stepped on the hem of her dress, with a bit of irritation she pulled at her dress and the person standing on it must have felt because he or she lifted his or her foot and the force of the pull made her stumble. Finally getting her dress under control she noticed that she was about a foot and a half clear from the other Nobles, all eyes were on her.

Veronica closed her eyes and whispered, "Oh my god". Did her heart stop? Was she dead? It seemed so. Taking a deep breath she opened her eyes, turned and noticed she was in the open and there sitting on his throne the Emperor had of course noticed her.

She slowly crossed her hands and with a slight curtsy lowered her head to break eye contact.

Goriad had closely watched one noble after another coming to the emperor. For the duration of the event he had yet to see a noble of greater years. Even the man who announced himself as King Matthew was but a young boy.

Then suddenly one of the nobles approached him, Sir Myr. These last days he had read some about the young knight and his arguments with Sevastian. "Sir Myr, titles are of little importance to me. You may address me as you deem appropriate."

At the realization that they have been speaking to a foreign emissary some of the merchants looked in shock but did not dare interrupt either of the higher nobles.

"I have been everywhere on these lands yes, but each place is different than the next my young friend. Where exactly are you headed?"

As the young noblewoman stumbled into the corner of his eye, Matthew could only anticipate the tension that followed. With a wry smile he retreated with surprising grace on his feet. If it weren't Nicholas, perhaps he would have done something to draw the eyes of the collective court, but he was a tame soul, so saw nothing of it. "I take my leave then, your Imperial highness. In truth and glory." He was about half way through the crowd when he swiveled about, making his way across the hall toward Marjorie. Beckoning for her to join him as he left the grandiose palace.

"It is good to hear from you again, you look well. Unfortunate you had to join us during all of this." He chuckled, looking over the city walls as they made their way down the Imperial palaces steps. "It seems you're about to see one of Luria's most famous warriors on the front lines, you should be honoured. I have quite the reputation. I'm glad I won't be sharing the journey to our army alone."

The court held their breath at Matthew's jape. In the years of Aldrakar, no doubt it would have been seen as a grave insult, worthy of a harsh response - or so Nicholas presumed. His predecessor had always been prideful, so it was little surprise to see the nervous anticipation in the air. But, to their relief, the emperor simply rolled his eyes, with a grin that matched Matthew's eventual own.

"Matthew Coffey, King of Earth's Hall, you and your wit are both welcome at the Imperial Court," he said, albeit swiftly, as though to get through the necessary formalities for both of their sake. "I shall hope for your good fortune on the battlefield. Retake Ciarin Tut and that feast is yours."

... and then the shy noblewoman fell, straight into the centre of the court. Nicholas watched her with raised brows, surprised - and a little amused - by what had happened. His ever-present steward walked toward him once again, with an aloof displeasure at the break from procedure, before whispering the identity of the woman in his ear. The emperor nodded knowingly, as though it now made sense.

"Welcome to the Imperial Court, Lady Veronica. Come, step forward," he beckoned with a wave of his hand, directing her to approach the dais.

Imperial Court

Her heart was racing; her face felt like it was on fire. She dared not look up. But now what, the Emperor had beckoned her to approach.

Taking a deep breath she put on her best smile, and lifted her head. She caught his eyes. It took all of her willpower to not look away and she took a step and another and soon she was as if gliding moving towards to the throne.

She could feel hundreds of eyes on her every movement.

Coming to a stop in front of the Throne, she bowed low and spread her Emerald Green dress around her, bowing her head her golden locks almost touched the ground.

She dared not look up as she said; "Your Imperial Majesty, as beckoned I have come. On behalf of House Gardarr, I Veronica Gardarr bring you tidings from my family situated in the Realm of Highmarch, East Island." taking a shallow breath she continued.

"I have come to strengthen bonds and give support where needed from me and that of my house to you, the Emperor and in turn Luria Nova."

She still did not dare look up as she waited with abated breath. Why was it so quiet?

"Well, Sir Goriad then..." - Myr smiled - "Just upon the conclusion of this reception I will embark for..."

The commotion at the center of the room drawn Myr's attention. There was a young noblewoman facing the Emperor, her face adorned with healthy blush, her shape like one of a doe caught in the middle of the road by nightly caravan blazing light with torches and lanterns. He chuckled a bit kindheartedly, up until his eyes briefly locked with that of Dame Marjorie, her gaze was unbearably intense - "does she fancy me?" - Myr thought before he turned to Goriad to finish his sentence:

"Astrum, I embark for Astrum."

She's shaking like a leaf, Nicholas noted to himself. It was not an uncommon thing, he surmised. A fresh-faced aristocrat, at the court of an emperor for the first time. He remembered possessing similar nerves when he first attended Aldrakar's court, though he had done a better job of keeping it to himself - though there was a vague memory of Earl Benedict, then just a knight, swaying after an inordinate amount of alcohol.

He awaited her approach patiently; it would be interesting to see how she would take to the spotlight.

"I have heard of this Highmarch," he mused aloud. "My cousin once served there as one of its knights... though now she fights in the name of the Kingdom of Perdan."

Nicholas affixed her with a curious stare. He knew the significance of that particular revelation, but did she?

"Though, Rhiannon's fights are not my own," he eventually shrugged. "Allow me to welcome you formally to the Hegemony of Luria Nova. For so long as you remain House Gardarr's representative in this land, and for so long as you remain a true and honest vassal, you shall always find the warmth of succour and hospitality within these halls. The court will be following your career from hereon with avid interest."

Thereafter, he leaned back once more against the throne, observing her response. It was rather plain to see that he was taking her measure.

Goriad smiled as he saw the stumbling noblewomen and the looks between her and Sir Myr. "To Astrum he replied."

Goriad nodded thoughtfully, "Interesting. Lately several in Astrum ventured here, yet you wish to reverse the travel?"

He paused for a moment, before he continued again: "There is much to do in Astrum and the north, it depends on what you seek over there."

Imperial Court

Two thoughts ran through Veronica's mind as she was kneeling in front of the Emperor.

One, will she die of embarrassment now or later and two, she should really have not worn this dress, it was fit for a banquet or a ball not court, and so she found herself  in a situation. She couldn’t get up.

The folds of the dress had gone everywhere when she bowed so low and she could not get the right footing to get up. So engrossed was she with this problem, she only caught some of his Majesty’s words to her until “she fights in the name of the Kingdom of Perdan” reached her ears.

Slowly lifting her head she made eye contact with the Emperor, some strand of her red hair hanging over her eye, she tried to blow it away but it just settled in the same place. The Emperor was leaning back in his throne waiting her response.

Putting some steel behind her words she said “The Perdan issue your Majesty I will leave in the capable hands of by brother and that of the North.”

Veronica narrowed her eyes as she glared at the Emperor, she had the feint inkling that he knew she couldn't actually rise by herself. He did seem to have a sly smile on his face.

"I seek to learn, Sir Goriad." - Myr crossed his arms, beaming - "Most legendary warrior of the continent has been kind enough to take me into his tutelage of martial matters. Other than that there are different experiences in the north than there are here. Man ought to gather as much experience in his life as he can, wouldn't you agree?"

Dame Marjorie was visibly relieved as she retreated from the battlefront that was the throne room with her liege lord, King Matthew. As they were once more breathing the free air, she made certain that she would always walk half a step behind the King of Earth Hall; in recognition of his station and of hers, regardless of her liege's egalitarian ideas. "It will be my honour, indeed," Marjorie affirmed, with such a sincerity to her voice that one might think she had not understood that Matthew was jesting at all. "I hope that I will learn much through my travels with you, my liege."

"I recieved words that I had been reassigned from the Emperor's Will to another army, the Iuvenilis Attingas Parvulorum. It is not my place to ask, and please forgive me for doing so, but I wonder: why?"

Marjorie nodded silent greetings to the passing guards of the palace as the duo made for the streets of Askileon, but beyond that her attention was firmly fixed on King Matthew.

"The most legendary warrior of the continent," Goriad repeated "There are but a few who could ever fit such a description, but given the current situation I would assume Lord Karibash will return to Astrum then with you?"

He smiled for a moment "The north will have different challenges in part, although they too suffer from the invasions of monsters. It will be good for you to visit foreign lands and learn of their culture. Upon entry I would speak to Dragomir, he is known to be just and kind."

"Dragomir..." - Myr repeated - "I will take your advice, good Sir. And yes, King Karibash is on his way already, I believe."

Myr looked around and saw several of the guests already departed. "If you don't mind, Sir Goriad, I will be on my way. Nightly ships are not as easy to catch as one would think - darkness gets in the way." - Young knight bowed slightly and steadily walked towards the door.

Goriad nodded to the young knight "Give King Karibash my regards and stay safe on your journeys. Perhaps we shall meet again."

As Myr walked away Goriad looked through the room again and he saw that most of highest station had left the room and mostly merchants and lower nobility remained. He had seen enough for today and as such he left almost as silently as he had entered, accompanied by two wealthier merchants as he had asked them for a ship to travel west and they saw an opportunity for more profit.

So there is a bit of fire behind the timidity, he noted. His words had been an open provocation, and she had taken to it without any hesitation. She was even glaring at him; now that was certainly a first, since he had taken to the throne.

"Perdan is an ocean away from Luria. As are Highmarch and all its other enemies," he began calmly. "I have no personal investment in their war, nor should I. This is Dwilight, and we have our own concerns - something I trust you will understand while you are here."

Thereafter, he cocked a brow openly at her attempts to regain an even footing, which appeared to influence the direction of his next words.

"In Luria, Lady Veronica, we all rise or fall based on our own merits. Whether you are Lurian by birth, or some the democracy of Highmarch, or anywhere else, what you do and how you serve will define you here. Though we will all pave the path to our future together, we must - all of us - stand on our own two feet."

Though he had begun to slip into a monologue, it was readily apparent that he had a clear belief in the words he spoke.

Roleplay from Bennet Selemnir

Bennet walked through the doors of the Suzerain's palace. Several knights passed by on their way out. He did not know their faces. They all bowed in deference, which was appropriate.

He crossed the hall, as silence descended. The tension in the air was as palpable as it was unnecessary. He looked at his boots, and at the trail begind him. So much mud. He should have checked that. An embarrassment to be apologized for later. But the front was muddy, and at least it was not blood.

Suzerain Emperor Nicholas sat the throne. He crossed slowly, the man was being whispered to by an attendant, and had not noticed him. He noted the man looked a little tired. Not an unfamiliar look, his duties had drawn him to the here and there for months, and the weight of the crown could not be easy. It suited him though. In a way Bennet did not anticipate. He hid his smile, as he always did.

A hush fell over the court. Bennet was aware his lack of declaration for one party or another in the upheavals had made him popular to some, and less so to others.

He made eye contact with his friend. There were few he considered that, but this was one. They both knew that; whatever else.

The gaze lingered. The breath in the hall was held. Bennet put his hand on his sword.

A gasp from the attendants.

He paused.... and laid it on his knee as he knelt.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:01:48 AM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 01, 2018, 08:33:00 AM »
Imperial Court

She knew it, he had known she couldn’t get up and he had made it quite clear with his words. It seemed to Emperor like to add subtle nuisances to his droning speeches.

She was still glaring at him when a hush fell over the Court. She could hear footsteps approaching from behind, but she locked her gaze on the Emperor. His eyes shifted momentarily towards someone behind her and then back to her.

Veronica smiled slyly.

A Noble had come beside her and knelt in front of the Emperor, he had withdrawn his sword and even though it caused a hush in the court the Emperor didn’t seem concerned. The new arrival had placed the sword on his knee as he awaited a response from the Emperor.

“You Majesty is of course right in some sense, most of us has to stand on our own two feet, but even an Emperor can’t stand alone all the time, and a Lady like myself even less without support of good friends and allies”.

Veronica tugged at her dress until she could get some sort of traction and reaching out she placed her hand on the shoulder of the noble kneeling beside her. Using him for leverage she pushed herself up still glaring at the Empire, she then focused on the kneeling Noble and looking down upon him smiled and gave a small nod of thanks.

Looking back at the Emperor she said, “I enjoyed our chat you’re Majesty, until we meet again” she still held his gaze as she made a small curtsy before she whirled around and headed to the exit of the Imperial Palace.

Let him stew on that she thought to herself as she headed home.

Roleplay from Sturm Attano

Better late than never Sturm thought to himself as he approached the throne room. He wore a deep purple tunic, a black fur coat and grey fur trimmed boots and gloves. It was just his luck to be stuck in a hole long enough to miss the coronation of an Emperor. At this rate he’d wake up to find Luria split in two.

He noted the crowd was thinning. “Fashionably late, I hope.” He muttered into his moustache as he entered the throne room. He stopped to the back of the room, awaiting the conclusion of Lord Selemnir’s audience.

He absentmindedly rubbed his wrists, still sore from the chains the beasts had used.

Nicholas inclined his head in response to Veronica. She will do fine, he decided. There was more strength to her than the first letters and introductions had suggested, though it needed to be drawn out of her. But there was little time to muse on it, for Bennet had knelt to offer his sword.

In response, he rose to his feet and strode across to meet him. The meaning and importance of the gesture was not lost upon him, and he would dignify it as Bennet was due.

"Marshal Bennet Selemnir, Margrave of Askileon Purlieus," he announced, so that there could be no mistake. "I accept your sword and your service; for so long as I am emperor, your rights and rank shall be championed and defended. You are among Luria's very finest and let all hear this and know it to be true. All the Throne asks of you is that you continue your proud commitment to the realm and to leading those under your command; we can demand no more."

With that, he reached down to rest one hand upon the flat of Bennet's blade, a small and brief physical gesture of acceptance. Then, the imperious tone of the emperor shifted and he flashed a smile, while his hand shifted to be offered to the Marshal.

"Stand, Bennet. The hospitality of the Imperial Palace is yours."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:44:33 PM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 02, 2018, 11:14:37 AM »
Askileon Purlieus
Now

Veronica knew her temper caused her more problems than she needed in her life. Oh that smug Emperor, sitting on his high and mighty thrown … he did have a nice roguish look to him though … no Veronica shook her head, she was still furious at him.

Yes, and she would show him. Except now she found herself in the “Wilderness” , she was riding a lovely white mare she had named Cloud, the only problem was she hurt all over, her legs hurt her arms hurt her entire body hurt even her nether regions.

Previous Day

Veronica was in a foul mood as she stepped out of the Carriage as it arrived at Chateau Pinean, her day had court had been a Nightmare. The Emperors not so subtle hints infuriated her. She would show him, she was a strong independent woman.

Snapping at one of the guards she said “Get me Captain Mikael, tell him to meet me in the study!”  The guard gave her a quick salute and jogged of to find the Captain.

“Don’t do anything hasty child”, Tess called after her while still getting out of the carriage. “Veronica? Are you listening to me?”

Tess found Veronica pacing in the study. “There you are child, stop sulking” Veronica glared at Tess “He thinks me weak Tess, and he all but came out and said so in front of everyone at court. Oh but I will show him, the pompous, loud mouth silly peach wearing Emperor.”  She kept pacing and took out her frustration on a waste basket, with one swift kick she send it flying and then the pain shot up her leg.

So that’s how Captain Mikael came to find the Lady Veronica jumping on one foot and uttering the most foul language that would even make a sailor blush.

“Veronica!” Tess shouted, “That’s no way for a lady to talk”

Veronica hobbled to a chair and dropped into it, massaging her foot. She looked up at Mikael. “Captain, ready the men we are going on a trip”

Mikael frowned as he looked at her “A trip Milady?”

“Yes a trip, we will head to this Askileon Purlieu so I can see these Monsters for myself.”

Mikael breathed a sign of relieve “Alas Milady, latest report shows no monster activity in Askileon Purlieu, so there is no need for you to make a trip, it would be but a waste of your time”

Veronica tilted her head as she thought “Oh, well then, we will just have to go looking somewhere else then until we find some. But we are going Captain. I will need a horse of course and provisions and something comfortable to wear”

“Veronica dear, don’t be silly. The Wilds is not place for a Lady of the Court …” That was a mistake, and Tess realized it too late. “Court? Who’s Court? That Snobby Emperor … I’ll show him.”

“No more talking I am in charge here and I decide what we do. Captain we leave at dawn”

Tess just watched as Veronica left the study “Captain, thoughts?” she asked Mikael.

Looking at Tess he said “The safest place for the Lady Veronica would be Ciarin Tut, the road from Askileon through Askileon Purlieu towards Ciarin Tut has been cleared of any monsters as per previous scout reports. It is also the gathering ground for the armies of the Moon Court. It would be an uneventful trip and once we arrive, any local threats should have been taken care of.”

“Very well Captain, you know your duty and it seems you where right about getting her acclimated to the situation in Dwilight. This should be a good starting point. But at any sign of trouble her safety comes first, understood?” 

“Understood Milady”

“We better get the Child a Horse … a fast one if you can manage.”

Mikael gave her a quick nod and went to make arrangements.

Now

Askileon Purlieu, she hated this foul place. She shifted her weight around in the saddle, it didn’t help. A cold wind started blowing from the ocean, she sighed as she hugged her hooded cloak closer to her. The Light leather padded armour she wore kept most of the cold out but she still felt a chill. It was getting late and dark and she was hungry.

“HOLD! WE MAKE CAMP!” Captain Mikael bellowed out as the men on March went about their routine of setting up the camp.

Veronica was so relieved she could almost cry. Captain Miakel had dismounted and walking over to her he waited as she swung her leg over the saddle, gently he lowered her from the horse.

She thought she would die.

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 03, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »
Ciarin Tut

It was a cold winter morning that greeted the troops of House Gardarr as they approached the mustering grounds in Ciarin Tut. The locals came out and stared at the marching men, some in celebration others with skeptic looks on their faces.

Veronica didn’t notice, her hood was pulled up and her head bowed, she was in a daze. Her red hair was slick with sweat and clinging to her face, the occasional cough escaping from her hooded cowl.

Mikael kept glancing to her as her horse kept pace with his. He was worried, they had not made arrangements for a healer to accompany them on this trip, it didn’t seem necessary at the time, but that decision now came back to haunt him.

Mikael noticed his scout galloping closer, pulling his horse up him gave a quick salute “Captain, orders and dispatches from command” he gave Mikael a sealed pouch. “I have also been informed of our camp site, it not too far”

Mikeal glanced at Veronica again, her head was still down and she was swaying lightly in her saddle.

“Lead the way then”

Mikeal spurred his horse and the men silently marched on. The Scout led them through the amassed men and banners at the mustering grounds. Mikael didn’t have to time to look closely, but the camps where set up in an orderly fashion, each displaying banners indicating the Lord or Lady in command.

“Captain, from what I am to understand the army’s of Luria Nova are split in the camps, our camp ground is with the Emperors Will division. Ah here we are now it’s just up ahead” the scout told him.

“Take ten men and get the Lady Gardarr’s tent up fast” he told him. The scout gave a quick salute and spurring his horse forward he motioned some men to follow him; they broke off in a jog and followed after.

The men where efficient when it came to setting camp, by the time Mikael arrived with Veronica, her tent and the command tent had both been set up. The men split and started their duties, a latrine area being dug, cooking fires set up, sentry duties assigned and so on. Mikael let them to it; he had more pressing matters to concern him.

Dismounting he led Veronica’s Horse closer to her tent. She had not made a lot of sound except the occasional cough, handing the reins to a guard at the tent; he slowly reached up and carefully pulled her out of the saddle, gently cradling her in his arms he carried her in and laid her on her cot covering her with some blankets.

Stepping out of tent he motioned to one of her guards. “I want you to discreetly ask around for a healer and escort them here, tell them they will be greatly rewarded.”

The guard nodded and set off, Mikael went back into the tent pulled up a chair and waited. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:26:49 AM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 06, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »
Ciarin Tut

It had been a tension filled few days for Mikael, he was pacing outside Veronica's tent waiting on a report from the healer they had acquired from the Camp of Kiran Mir-Ashtan, Knight of Poryatu. The healer had approached his Lord with the request and the Knight had immediately ordered the healer to take on the care of the Lady Gardarr.

Mikael kept pacing, the guards eyes following him, they gave him a wide berth. He came to a stop at the rustle of the tent flap; the healer ducked out caught his eye and approached him.

“She is over the worst of it, the fever broke last night” Mikael drew a sigh of relieve. “She will need to stay in bed for a few more days at least, but I will still make my rounds until I am sure there is no chance for a relapse.”

Mikael clasped the healers shoulder gave it a slight squeeze and stepped past him into the tent.

The healer watched the Captain step into the tent, picking up his supplies he headed back to his Camp to report to his Lord. 

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 11, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
Luria Nova
Dantooine

Veronica was passing through Danturn Town, it was at most what she expected from a rural region. She had a small escort with her, after leaving most of her troops in Lupa Lapu.

Mikael had passed command to one of his subordinates, and insisted on accompanying her. Veronica pulled her cloak tighter around her. She was starting to dislike the ocean, the cold wind tugged and pulled at her and she felt the chill right to her core, Winter didn't seem to want to dissipate with the coming of Spring.

She was over the worst of her bought of sickness, though she still felt sluggish. So when she heard about the invitation to attend festivities at Sea Cliff Keep, she knew she had to get out of the cold miserable camps she found herself in. The more she thought about it the more she realized she was not made for the front line.

And really all this talk of monsters she has yet to see one face to face, they couldn't be such a menace if none was ever sighted. So she would order her troops to do what needed to be done, but she would go where she pleased, she was a Noble after all.

As the small party approached the Keep, Veronica's eye caught the cliff drop leaning to the ocean, she felt a chill again. A great watchtower could be seen and she noticed movement on top of it, her approach had been noticed.

Mikael spurred his horse closer to her as a guard stepped out to bar their way. Veronica pulled up her horse as she glanced at the guard making his way towards them.

"Hold, you approach the Sea Cliff Keep, state your business!"

Veronica turned to Mikael and then realized that they had not actually displayed her banners on approach.

Pulling down the cowl of her hood she brushed some of her hair out of her face and smiled down at the guard.

"I am the Lady Gardarr of House Gardarr hailing from Askileon on invitation from the Earl of Dantooine, Solomon Greybrook."

Veronica noticed another guard behind him talk to a young boy who immediately set of at running speed.

The guard lowered his head and spoke "Milady forgive my tone.." Veronica cut him off.

"There is nothing to forgive, you are doing your duty as you should, but if you would be so kind it has been a long trip and I would like to get out of the cold, please make arrangements for an escort to take us to our accommodations." 

Veronica pulled up her hood again as she slowly spurred her horse on and followed the guard as he made arrangements for an escort.

Roleplay from Emyhr le Craint

Yesterday Evening:
After the evening meeting had passed, once the questions had been answered and the first course of food same through, Emyhr enjoyed talking with people of different backgrounds about the fundamentals of faith. However, time had caught up on the young knight and he had to leave the gathering for his other duties.

Emyhr gave his thanks to the priest and bid farwell to Sir Donald and the gathered minor nobles. Emyhr stepped out into the cold evening, jovial from the food and wine, he made his way to the main gate bidding farwell to the city of Askileon.

The Following Morning:

As the sun crested over the hilltops of the border regions of Nid Tek and Dantooine, Emyhr now warn out from the journeying that he had undertake that previous night with very little rest. Before long, the sight of the sea cliff keep came into view. It seems Emyhr was not the only one to arrive early as a small party led by a female noble was waiting at the gate, Emyhr did not recognize the crest of the noble that was waiting at the gate but none the less would approach with the normal formalities.

As Emyhr neared the gate, he could over hear slightly what was being said nearer the front.

"I am the Lady Gardarr of House Gardarr hailing from Askileon on invitation from the Earl of Dantooine, Solomon Greybrook."

Emyhr pondered over that name, he had heard of this recent arrival however had yet been able to meet here. Hopefully, Emyhr would be able to introduce himself before or during the event. For now, he allowed the dame to continue with entering before Emyhr would approach the gate.

"Earl Emyhr le Craint, here at the invitation of Earl Solomon. I have arrived early after requesting it of the Earl."

The guard looked the noble up and down before turning and shouting at the guards behind the gate. He waved Emyhr through the gate, unlike the previous noble, Emyhr was without a retinue bringing only his horse with him. Stepping through the gate, Emyhr looked around admiring the work that had been done by the earl since his succession, the keep that had been in ruins when the land was reclaimed was now beautifully rebuilt with grey stone.

Emyhr guided his horse to the stables that had been built within the courtyards, brushing it slightly before tying it up and leaving it within the hands of the stable boy. The Dame was now gone from his sight, Emyhr made his way out into the courtyard finding a place to sit and take the weight of his legs. Emyhr sat and waited for the earl, allowing the dame the first introductions, he admired the work that had been undertaken by Earl Solomon.

Roleplay from Solomon Greybrook

Two New Arrivals - Sea Cliff Keep Ball (Dantooine)

Veronica pulled up her hood again as she slowly spurred her horse on and followed the guard as he made arrangements for an escort.

Solomon was sitting at his desk, working through some necessary paperwork when a guard came in and informed him that Lady Gardarr had arrived.

Excellent.

With a spring in his step, Solomon put on his cloak and headed to the front gate of the Keep. For the ball, Solomon had his beard trimmed again back to the sharp stubble and slicked back hair. Furthermore, his black doublet with a grey linen shirt were complementary to the subtle but ultimately fashionable appearance - there wasn't too many occasion military noblemen such as he had opportunities to look their best outside of court. He had ensured previously that his outfit for the ball was prepared by numerous peoples in Giask and refined in Dantooine.

Approaching the gate, Solomon saw the Lady stand guard alongside one of the watchmen and another soldier that he did not know. Probably left command to a subordinate in Lupa Lapu. When within speaking distance of the Lady, Solomon stopped short and made a slight bow:

"Welcome Lady Gardarr to Dantooine! I hope the travelling was not too harsh. With the end of Winter, the weather should be easier to handle. However, the sharp chill from the sea breeze may take some getting to used to! I do not believe we have directly met before on a social basis, I am Solomon Greybrook, Lord of Dantooine and Marshal of Luria's Wrath. You are the first guest from the higher aristocracy to arrive for the ball on Monday. I believe there will be many more to come and that Luria will enjoy some rest-bite - at least for a few days. Your accommodation will be in the Guesthouses to either the right or left of the Keep. Please just make sure that you inform a scribe which one you are staying in. Each room is fit for purpose with thick rugs and duvets as well. There is a common room for each Guesthouse - which is only for aristocracy. There may already by some local nobles as well in the lodgings - there is plenty of room. Please feel free to explore the estate. If there is anything that you need assistance with, please just ask me personally or hail a local servant. The Greybrook Guard to my right will escort you. I look forward to talking to you more in the coming days my lady."

The Dame was now gone from his sight, Emyhr made his way out into the courtyard finding a place to sit and take the weight of his legs. Emyhr sat and waited for the earl, allowing the dame the first introductions, he admired the work that had been undertaken by Earl Solomon.

As Solomon was talking to his new arrival, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Earl Emyhr ride to the stables. Solomon walked and talked to Lady Gardarr for maybe a minute before excusing himself. Seeing the Vice-Marshal in the courtyard, Solomon walked towards him with a slight grin on his face and embraced his friend:

'Earl Emhyr! I am so glad that you have arrived. Come, walk with me around the estate. Tell me about your adventures or events that have occurred since we last spoke!"

Dantooine

Solomon walked and talked to Lady Gardarr for maybe a minute before excusing himself.

Veronica tilted her head and glanced at the earl as he walked with her.

"Earl Greybrook, I thank you for the welcome, and i would like it if we spoke some more later, it has been a long trip and I believe I will retire for the day."

Veronica noticed the Earls attention waver to a man riding towards the stable's. She felt a little bit irritated with that, but she smiled none the less as he left her to attend to the new arrival.

Following the guard she decided on one of the guest houses on the left.

Captain Mikael made arrangements for her baggage to be taken to her room and her guards stationed themselves in the common room. Once in the room she dropped onto the bed and pulled a thick duvet over her, it was quite chilly still.

Roleplay from Emyhr le Craint

Not a moment passed by when Emyhr once again spotted the Dame however this time she was being guided by a familiar face. Watching them walk, Emyhr could see the refinement in the clothing between the two, for the first time meeting nobles who were dressed for a fanciful occasion rather than battle was soothing to the young knight. The two separated and Earl Solomon who was guiding the lady headed towards Emyhr.

'Earl Emhyr! I am so glad that you have arrived. Come, walk with me around the estate. Tell me about your adventures or events that have occurred since we last spoke!"

"Earl Solomon, it is good to see you again my Friend. I would love to join you, to be able to see the work you have put into this fine place would be an honour. I must apologies for my outfit, I have not had time to return home however I have sent word for my attendant to bring my outfit for the ball and he should arrive this evening."

Emyhr held out a hand in greeting, the two firmly shaking. Having their last meeting been their swordsmanship match, the atmosphere had a more refined feel with the preparations for the ball completed.

"It has been some time since our last meeting, matters have kept me busy and well traveled I must say. Just yesterday I stumbled upon the meeting organised the Priest Turin Eriksson, I accompanied Sir Donald as curiosity got the better of me. Now that the influx of beast is calming down, it gives me a chance to commit to these social occasions to which I am glad to be able to attend."

Emyhr looked over to the direction that the lady had headed towards before his eye caught a glimpse of the view created by the keeps placement.

"It seem I am not the first to arrive, I had not met Dame Veronica since she arrived however she has made quite a name for herself, I am sure she has some interesting tales to tell. I am impressed at your design capabilities, should I need an architect in the near future I know who to ask it seems. The keep is remarkable, a veritable impregnable fortress while keeping to the beauty of the area. Once the other nobles arrive for the ball I am sure this place will create a wondrous atmopshere."

Emyhr stopped for a second, now coming towards the entrance into the main building, he turned around to catch a glimpse of the entire courtyard.

"I must admit I am quite excited for this ball, never before have I attended such formal event. I even looked up a dance teacher during my visit to Askileon to prepare myself. Like you said, this will be a gathering of the finest men and women of the realm, it would be a disaster should I have not prepared. Enough about me though, how fares yourself? We are on the verge of great changes this season, as Earls ourselves we must be at the forefront of these changes to maintain our lands."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:56:13 PM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 16, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
Luria Nova
Dantooine Ball

Veronica was late, without an attendant she had a hell of a time to get into her dress; she would make a note to in future always make sure one of her attendants would accompany her.

Finally done she ascended the stairs of the accommodations made available to her. Her Captain of the guard was waiting for her in his dress uniform and would escort her to the keep ballroom; he was flanked by her two personal guards.

Approaching him Veronica smiled “You look dashing tonight Captain” Mikael bowed his head “Milady, might I say your dress is most complementing”

Veronica twirled as she responded, “Oh it is beautiful isn’t it”, after the twirl she hooked her arm in his and said “Well lead the way”

He nodded as they set off towards the Ball

It was a cool night as they made their way towards the ballroom. Merriment, laughter and wine flowed in the courtyard leading to the keep. Veronica was elated to finally have some fun and not be stuck in a dirty war camp, she shuddered at that thought.

Veronica was so engrossed with the merriment she didn’t notice the couple ahead of them entering the ball room until they were announced.

"May I present the Messer and Madonna de Medici!"

Veronica’s head snapped back as she heard de Medici, the last time she saw him was at the Emperors court, thinking back to that day riled her up even more. Her eyes followed him as he descended the stairs into the ballroom. She did receive a letter from him not soon after which softened his actions towards her, but she was still irked.

Mikael approached the herald and whispering to him he stepped back and took her arm.

The Herald stepped forward “May I announce the Lady Veronica Gardarr of Askileon”

Veronica made her way down the stairs. She had decided to wear the dress she had made for the kings ball, a sapphire blue gown, with black lace trim, her red hair was cascading down the front of the dress and she was wearing the necklace the King had given her.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs Mikael withdrew his arm and bowed to her slightly before stepping away. Veronica stepped into the ball room proper.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs Mikael withdrew his arm and bowed to her slightly before stepping away. Veronica stepped into the ball room proper.

Scrying the newcomer, Alessio strides towards Veronica, wearing a smile.

"Hello there," he says, offering a gentle head bow. "It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Alessio de Medici, and this is my gorgeous wife, Andrea. She finds your dress beautiful. What might your name be?"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:08:21 PM by Jored »

Jored

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 17, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
Dantooine Ball

Veronica came to a stop as she noticed Knight de Medici approach her. This was the first time she had the chance to really take him in, previously she had only glanced him from a distance at court.

He was accompanied by who she assumed was his wife, Veronica felt a blush as she remembered sending him a letter once stating that courting her would take more than just words, only to realize after the fact that he was in fact married.

["Hello there," he says, offering a gentle head bow. "It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Alessio de Medici, and this is my gorgeous wife, Andrea. She finds your dress beautiful. What might your name be?"]

Veronica beamed at the complement, “Milady’ de Medici … Andrea if I may be so bold, I thank you on the complement.”  Veronica took a glass of wine from a passing servant. “As for my name Sir Alessio, I believe we have met … in writing so to say.”

“I am Veronica, Veronica Gardarr …”

Veronica was waiting on a response, when she heard the Herald pronounce some new arrivals.

[‘Sir William Fitz Roberts and family’ the herald called out]

“…Fitz Roberts …” she whispered as she turned and looked at the new arrivals.

Mikael had also made a move closer towards Veronica; he was not too far off mingling with the lesser nobility, he came beside Veronica and whispered in her ear, his hand on his sword.

The Ball

“I am Veronica, Veronica Gardarr …”

As Veronica was interrupted, Alessio paused waiting for the herald to finish, paying little attention to anything. Andrea, however, had observed Mikael's hand on his sword, perking an eyebrow, before looking over to the herald. Most curious.

After letting the hushed whispers pass, Alessio speaks up once more:

"Ah, so you are the Dame Veronica. It is a pleasure to meet you in the flesh - you truly have been graced. My darling wife wanted to tell you how wonderful she thinks your dress is. Can we ask who made it - we would like to get in touch with the craftsman and-"

Promptly, he is cut off by Andrea. "Sorry for his endless ramblings, my sweet. It drives me mad with him taking ages to get his point across. He wishes to invite you to the opening of the Lurian Herald's main facility in Giask in the coming weeks. If you would like, that is." she smiles, taking her husband's hand. She gives one final look over to Mikael, not saying anything.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:28:06 AM by Jored »