Author Topic: Under Debate: Allow knights to build shrines  (Read 3170 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Summary: Allow landed knights to build a shrine on their estate.

Details: A knight who is a full member of a religion may build a shrine to that religion on their estate. In all respects this shrine functions just like the shrine a priest might build and is counted on the list of total shrines in the region. Should the knight leave the estate the next occupant may tear down the shrine if they wish and build a new one. Estates should be limited in the number of shrines they can build either with a set number of allowed shrines (perhaps just one or one for every 10% of the region allocated) or with the same escalating cost system that keeps priests from spamming shrines. My preference goes to having a set limited number of shrines and a low number at that since that increases the possibility of a knight having to decide if they want to tear down an old shrine of a different faith in order to build one of their own, thus creating more opportunity for player decisions.

Benefits: Allows knights, especially knights played by new players to customize their estates and be more actively involved in the game. Encourages participation in religion. Creates the potential for player to player interaction and conflict (e.g. a player may tear down a shrine on his new estate, angering the religion to which it belongs)

Downsides: Nothing comes to mind. Maybe priests don't want to share one of their abilities?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:47:06 AM by Vita »

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Allow knights to build shrines
« Reply #1: May 25, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »
As a priest, I would love this idea.

Though if if it were implemented, I would want Shrines to no longer drain money from the religion banks.  As is, if too many knights did this it could bankrupt a religion in short order.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 18, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
As a priest, I would love this idea.

Though if if it were implemented, I would want Shrines to no longer drain money from the religion banks.  As is, if too many knights did this it could bankrupt a religion in short order.

Then limiting it to one per estate would help.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 26, 2018, 03:10:36 AM »
I would prefer one shrine per religion per region.

But one per estate could work.  Though what would happen when estates are removed by the lord?

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 11, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
I would prefer one shrine per religion per region.

But one per estate could work.  Though what would happen when estates are removed by the lord?

If it was one per region that would make this more of a lord level decision, which would defeat the purpose as lords can already build temples and the goal was to add more to the "knight game".

I'd say if the estate is destroyed the shrine is just no longer tied to the estate. It becomes no different than a shrine that a priest built.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 26, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
How plausible might this be in terms of coding?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 28, 2018, 12:56:05 AM »
As long as it's not an actual shrine. These things cost a fortune, so easy to send a religion bankrupt if everyone can start spamming them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 29, 2018, 04:31:27 AM »
As long as it's not an actual shrine. These things cost a fortune, so easy to send a religion bankrupt if everyone can start spamming them.

That would only be a problem if they could build unlimited shrines, if it's one each it should be fine. Church of Aaron has twelve shrines right now. Each coasts 1 gold apiece on tax day. There are a total of eleven nobles in the religion. I checked SA as well. I lost count of the shrines but there's close to a hundred. Looks like they cost two gold max. SA has only 35 full members. So one shrine per knight should be sustainable.