Author Topic: Under Debate: Free Up Information  (Read 4993 times)

Axton

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Under Debate: Free Up Information
« Topic Start: May 17, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
Title: Day-Night Cycle on Every Page
Summary: Place the whether it is night or day (for relevant continents), the season (for relevant continents), and the time to the next turn in the footer underneath what region one is in.
Details: Add the information from the summary to the footer underneath the current region. Move statuses such as travelling to the right of the current region instead of beneath.
Benefits: Allows players to easily find the information already readily available on some but not all pages.
Possible Downsides or Exploits: None

Title: Linking Pages
Summary: Link information pages to other relevant pages.
Details: Make the name of a realm, duchy, region, or character a link to the realm, duchy, region, or character information page on other information pages as well as in the signatures of messages.
Benefits: Quicker navigation between related information pages.

Title: Expanded Character Pages
Summary: Include already available information on character pages.
Details: Add titles (along with links to the applicable information pages) to Character Pages (the ones that currently are an editable text box and a portrait). Add information on commanded units such as troop numbers and CS if relevant intelligence is available (e.g. being in an army you command, having a scouting report, etc.).
Benefits: Easier locating of information about a specific character.

Title: More Useful Add Recruits Page
Summary: Provide all otherwise readily available information useful for recruitment on the Add Recruits Page
Details: Add a cost analysis for the recruitment showing how much gold will be spent in the purchase (paying your old men + how many * cost per man = cost) to give an estimate before purchasing. Add information on max unit size from Military Adviser page to Add Recruits page.
Benefits: Easier determining of cost and max unit size at moment of recruiting soldiers.

Title: Merging Information Pages
Summary: Merge Your Bans and Fines, Your Duels, Your Guilds, Your Message Groups pages into Your Status Page.
Details: Append information found on Your Bans and Fines, Your Duels, Your Guilds, Your Message Groups pages to Your Status Page. Remove Your Bans and Fines, Your Duels, Your Guilds, Your Message Groups pages
Benefits: More readily accessing of various information and removing need to open multiple pages to gather information.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:55:21 AM by Vita »

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Free Up Information
« Reply #1: May 20, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »

1. The world globe in the navigation frame indicates whether it is day or night for BM.
2. I am interested on making that info more broadly available like you mention.

All good, give me exact pages where you want to see it happen.
I'm not in favour of linking everything (like signatures) though. That will downright look ugly.

Titles have already been added.
I'm not fan of including military information on here actually. It is possible no doubt. But this page is more meant as a biographic kind of page, rather than actively monitor for military ends. At least that was my intention, would like to hear Delvin/Vita on this.
I will add screenshots of the prototype of this page I have currently going on. (see below)

Definitely in favour of this one. Good call.

I'm a little hesitant on this one, for I do not think the benefits are that big.
Right now people can recognize the pages directly from their information screen, while if you put 'Your Status Page' people will not directly know what is clubbed together on this page and what is not.

Either way, on all of the subjects above I will need Delvin/Vita to give their opinion. Some are obviously small works for a big win, while others I'm still hesitant about.
As I told you before, we appreciate all the thought you put into it, a new pair of eyes on things is always good.

https://imgur.com/a/pDZtkSW
https://imgur.com/a/TxN9iFL
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Axton

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 21, 2018, 12:11:40 AM »

1. The world globe in the navigation frame indicates whether it is day or night for BM.
2. I am interested on making that info more broadly available like you mention.

1. Did not see that. Like, at all. It's less than clear.
2. Well, alright then. Like I said, I think the footer is the best location for that.

All good, give me exact pages where you want to see it happen.
I'm not in favour of linking everything (like signatures) though. That will downright look ugly.

Realm Details Page, Duchy Details Page, Region Details Page, Character Page (the one with the portrait), Realm Hierarchy Page, Diplomatic Treaties Page, Realm Government Page, Realm Laws Page, Your Bans and Fines (I don't know if it has links already, mine is empty), Family/Player Details Page, Route Adviser Scribe Notes, Battle Reports

Titles have already been added.
I'm not fan of including military information on here actually. It is possible no doubt. But this page is more meant as a biographic kind of page, rather than actively monitor for military ends. At least that was my intention, would like to hear Delvin/Vita on this.
I will add screenshots of the prototype of this page I have currently going on. (see below)

They look good. I would like some way to rather quickly finding that sort of information beyond going through all the regions. Maybe an addition to the Realm Details page instead that provides all current posesed information had on the locations and strengths of that realms units?

Definitely in favour of this one. Good call.

I make many. I'm also humble. You can tell because I'm telling you.  ;)

I'm a little hesitant on this one, for I do not think the benefits are that big.
Right now people can recognize the pages directly from their information screen, while if you put 'Your Status Page' people will not directly know what is clubbed together on this page and what is not.

This is probably the one that provides the least benefits of my suggestions, admittedly, but I generally favor consolidation, considering it more efficient. If there isn't a reason to really split it out (which I don't really think there is) then I think it should be merged in.

Either way, on all of the subjects above I will need Delvin/Vita to give their opinion. Some are obviously small works for a big win, while others I'm still hesitant about.
As I told you before, we appreciate all the thought you put into it, a new pair of eyes on things is always good.

https://imgur.com/a/pDZtkSW
https://imgur.com/a/TxN9iFL

I like the designs, especially the handsome devil in the portrait.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 21, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
They look good. I would like some way to rather quickly finding that sort of information beyond going through all the regions. Maybe an addition to the Realm Details page instead that provides all current posesed information had on the locations and strengths of that realms units?

If you are Marshal/Vice Marshal you do have access to the 'Command' page where it says 'Army Information'.
This will give you exactly all the details of the units in your army. Men, locations, readiness, strength,..
Aren't you just looking for this?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 21, 2018, 11:55:57 AM »
1. Did not see that. Like, at all. It's less than clear.
2. Well, alright then. Like I said, I think the footer is the best location for that.

To visualize it better, this is what it would look like:

Axton

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 21, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
If you are Marshal/Vice Marshal you do have access to the 'Command' page where it says 'Army Information'.
This will give you exactly all the details of the units in your army. Men, locations, readiness, strength,..
Aren't you just looking for this?
Was more looking to other realms when you had relevant intel on them.

To visualize it better, this is what it would look like:

Why inclusion of server time vice time to next turn?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 21, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
Was more looking to other realms when you had relevant intel on them.

No, that's not coming on there. At least I am not making that.

Why inclusion of server time vice time to next turn?

This is the standard line that's there on playchar.php, play-status.php. Right now it would say:
It is currently Night. Sunrise is in 9 hours, 28 minutes (server time: 20:32 Monday)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 22, 2018, 12:27:57 AM »
Yo Wimpie, that expanded Character page looks BA AF. Top shelf bro.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 22, 2018, 03:04:01 AM »
Further to this, I'd like more information in messages and mails from other characters. Especially if I've moved realms lately, I don't know who anyone is or what their relationship is to me or my nation.

Some simple (maybe customisable?) strings of information regarding their,

Position (Banker, general, title)
Realm (what country are they from?)
Political stance relative to mine (enemy, countryman, ally)

Would be wonderful!

If customisable, add other information like my stance on their religion.  This can only promote roleplaying opportunities.

For example, "Baddy Badman, enemy General of Badvania"
Or "Goody Goodman, allied King of Goodlund"

It homogenised position titles so I don't have to know what a Democritus or a bailiwatsit is to understand, who you are, where you're from, and why I should care that you're messaging me!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 22, 2018, 03:18:41 AM »
Would you feel like having a tooltip of some sort that appears when you hover over a position title, to tell you what the generic version of that title is, would be sufficient for that part?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 22, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
I mean, sure, but what about the rest of it?
I'd like to know what relationship that sender is to me and my realm. I feel like people could enhance their RP reactivity if they knew they were talking to enemies, allies, federated partners, etc. Or maybe not! But simply to know if the sender is from your realm or not is a start; I don't know who everyone by name not necessarily which regions are ours at any given time.

Incidentally, why are some contacts Lady or Sir titled and others not?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 22, 2018, 08:16:20 AM »
Incidentally, why are some contacts Lady or Sir titled and others not?

Because they either donated or are volunteers for the game.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 22, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
Would you feel like having a tooltip of some sort that appears when you hover over a position title, to tell you what the generic version of that title is, would be sufficient for that part?

That would be amazing. Recently, I went probably a couple months thinking "Imperator Kellan" was the ruler of Perdan. Noooope. That is the title for General. That tool tip would be great for when people assign odd names to the positions.

I'd like to know what relationship that sender is to me and my realm. I feel like people could enhance their RP reactivity if they knew they were talking to enemies, allies, federated partners, etc. Or maybe not! But simply to know if the sender is from your realm or not is a start; I don't know who everyone by name not necessarily which regions are ours at any given time.

I feel like this is just part of the learning process. After spending a bit of time on a continent, you get a feel for the regions. And if you come across one that you don't happen to know, it is as simple as opening the Information tab in a new tab for a region list, diplomatic relations, etc...

I just think caution should be taken in packing too much information into one spot. It might be nice the first couple days in a new realm, but that barrage of information will get old and cumbersome quickly, IMO.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 22, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
With the overhaul of messages that I'm working on, I think doing something with the signature to make it easier to tell the diplomatic relations of other realms relative to yours will be somewhat easier.

I can investigate whether coloring the realm name with their diplomatic status (enemy, peace/neutral/own realm, ally, federation) would be feasible and look OK.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 29, 2018, 07:06:18 AM »
> I feel like this is just part of the learning process. After spending a bit of time on a continent, you get a > feel for the regions. And if you come across one that you don't happen to know, it is as simple as
> opening the Information tab in a new tab for a region list, diplomatic relations, etc...

I get that, but I've been playing for nearly six years and I'm still discovering players and realms and regions I've never encountered, and I have characters on every continent!

A tooltip is great, but like many I do the majority of my play on my phone. Playing as a member of the Southern Alliance, there are many realms, knights and government positions of all types and honestly it's difficult to know which realm has which region. I cant even tell if a representative belongs to my nation or not!

Consider how many of your daily messages are from another character directly - not a turn generated message - East Continent might be an exception. I think all it would take is a single line in the header or footer,

"CHARACTER NAME, an (allied/enemy) (knight,lord/lady,councillor, ruler) of (realm)"

and use generic descriptors for the council and regional descriptors.