Author Topic: Magical Events in Bescanon & Surrounding Regions  (Read 19535 times)

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
Ok, just to make sure everyone's agreeing on several basic points:

• Most of people are unhappy with how magic works on EC
  • Most of people are happy with how it works on BT and DWI

The rationale here is - some people enjoy magic in general, some people don't enjoy magic in general and some want to have experience of both magic-influenced and magic-free gameplay (like me for example). I believe it would be wise to meet the expectation of all those groups. Having two islands left as is (able to be heavily influenced by portal events etc.) and two whith magic/portal gameplay greatly reduced would provide some space for players of all tastes. Thus I believe Gabanus' idea from the OP is a good one.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
While I liked to see my char's name in a game event, the way it works is a little too much and arbitrary.

When I returned to the game and saw Sirion/Nivemus using scrolls like crazy against Garas, I was shocked. I'm getting old, but of all the things that changed in BM, this use of scrolls is the one of the reasons I want my beloved old BM back (PvP). EC was used to see big battles, north against south, etc... even with people being silly about Sirionite elves (I'm among them), this magic stuff is out of hand.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I find it incredibly hypocritical that those who whine the most about this event seem to also be those that take the most pleasure in RPing about their use of magic whenever it's to their own advantage. Also people who have benefited from portal stones in the past, and who have never shied away from using magic under any form whatsoever. These effects weren't even unprecedented.

I agree with reducing magic on EC, but I wholeheartedly disagree with catering to the whining and undoing what was done. I will be very mad if another set of portal stones are used to simply undo what was just done, regardless of how much more RP or scrolls are poured into it. Portal stones aren't a wishing well, whining on the forum shouldn't be either. Using more stones to undo SOME of the effects that occurred can be justified, but not to surgically undo all that was done. Actions which were not surgical to begin with, but random.

So maybe tone down what occurs in the future, and reduce the stone spawn rate. Maybe add IG reports "there are rumors of an adventurer running around with portal stones nearby" to facilitate witch hunts against them. But do not just return things to how they were. No matter how much whining, RPing, or scrolls are given.

I will also add, however, that I'm also greatly annoyed that the Bescanon portal was resolved pretty much immediately, before I even noticed it on the map. The Darfix portal, on the other hand, has been there for as long as I remember. We've had characters parked there for months to see if anything happens. We've had to adjust Westgard's military expeditions out of fear of what it might do. We've asked countless times for a resolution to that portal event. Why were we unworthy there? Just shut it down in a fizzle if you don't care to do anything about it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I've used/had use magic on me thrice for mostly RP purposes, that's it. The first was a healing scroll or smth on Catherine who wasn't even wounded (thus wasting it game mechanics wise) for a RP after Sirion used several scrolls on us. The second was the same but then on Garas to 'counter the black magic inside him' when he was mechanically fine.

The second was the healing scroll on Glory which became a rp event with 5+ characters with very minimal impact on the actual game. She would've healed soon enough anyway.

The key here is minimal impact. Mind you, when Garas was hit with 4 or 5 scrolls of accident in the span of several months, we roleplayed it more than the ones who cast it. Garas was blind for more than a IRL year due to one of those scrolls. I roleplayed the event and tried to turn it into something fun, not because I approve or like excessive use of magic with impact.

I can live with a little bit of super low impact and so far even with big impacts I've both complained about it (read back some other forum topics and irc logs if you don't believe me) and subsequently tried to RP it so there's atleast something good out of it. Don't mean I like it, simply means that's how I play the game. When stuff happens I use it for RP and to create actual stories.

You may find the attitude of complaining yet building rp around stuff like this hypocritical, but what do you want me to do otherwise? Complain and try to ruin the game for others instead?

Now that you have your answer I sincerely hope we can return to a proper cordial tone.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I will also add, however, that I'm also greatly annoyed that the Bescanon portal was resolved pretty much immediately, before I even noticed it on the map. The Darfix portal, on the other hand, has been there for as long as I remember. We've had characters parked there for months to see if anything happens. We've had to adjust Westgard's military expeditions out of fear of what it might do. We've asked countless times for a resolution to that portal event. Why were we unworthy there? Just shut it down in a fizzle if you don't care to do anything about it.

Maybe the different islands are handled by different devs? Portals in East Island usually resolve very quickly. Portals in Dwilight take weeks to resolve, if they ever do resolve.
------
qui audet vincit

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
No, Anaris and I handle all portals. It's pure coincidence as to how quickly they've been responded to.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It doesn't seem that way. The first portal was resolved immediately after it was opened. You seemed really excited at the time.

This time there's no reaction for days despite there being an obvious urgency. Almost as if you wanted to delay controlling the damage you've done.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Seem doesn't equal reality. Surprisingly, I do have a life outside BattleMaster. I resolved the first one quickly as I knew both admins would be less available this week and next week, and I wanted to avoid another unanswered portal. You're reading far too much into things.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
What you mean to do in your own mind and what it appears you are doing from the outside are not always the same.

Appearances do matter.

And while you certainly may not have meant to give preferential treatment to instantly respond to a portal event that gave the Northern Alliance a massive advantage by removing walls and recruitment centers from the Southern Alliance, that is what ended up happening.

And while you certainly may not have meant to give preferential treatment to the Northern Alliance by delaying response to a portal event meant to reverse some of that damage, some people could make the case that is what has ended up happening.

I know the devs are busy, and I know there are not as many devs as there used to be.  I'm honestly not trying to bust your balls or anything, but it is honestly annoying as a player to have it feel as if the weight of the devs is pressing the scales against you as a player.  Whether or not that is actually what is happening.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Speaking of appearing to be unfair, how about letting Perdan move its capital right up to the front lines? That doesn't seem very fair. Perhaps it's completely justified by precedence, but "Appearances do matter", apparently.

What's next? Is Vix Tiramora going to move its capital to Partora? Is Highmarch going to move its capital to Akesh Temple?
------
qui audet vincit

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Being able to observe the Titan's decisions (and we *had* decided to have public case summaries post-Magistrates, even if we haven't done so recently), the perdanite capital decision was judged not to have been moved to recruit closer to front lines.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
What you mean to do in your own mind and what it appears you are doing from the outside are not always the same.

Appearances do matter.

And while you certainly may not have meant to give preferential treatment to instantly respond to a portal event that gave the Northern Alliance a massive advantage by removing walls and recruitment centers from the Southern Alliance, that is what ended up happening.

And while you certainly may not have meant to give preferential treatment to the Northern Alliance by delaying response to a portal event meant to reverse some of that damage, some people could make the case that is what has ended up happening.

I know the devs are busy, and I know there are not as many devs as there used to be.  I'm honestly not trying to bust your balls or anything, but it is honestly annoying as a player to have it feel as if the weight of the devs is pressing the scales against you as a player.  Whether or not that is actually what is happening.
I do not disagree.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Being able to observe the Titan's decisions (and we *had* decided to have public case summaries post-Magistrates, even if we haven't done so recently), the perdanite capital decision was judged not to have been moved to recruit closer to front lines.

Howevere, they will indeed recruit closer to the front lines... maybe it will be unfair for those who cannot enjoy the same fate? It seems more a rule to punish intentions, not sudenly advantages.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It is precisely a rule to punish intentions, which is why we haven’t simply changed the code to prohibit moving the capital while in wartime.

And if other realms were to be moving their capital to the region which gave the realm their name, and which was the realm’s capital for more RL years than most realms in this game have existed, I can assure you that the Titans would look more favorably on them, as well.

However, that said, even that would not be enough to prevent my and/or the Titans’ wrath from falling upon a realm that made such a move with any real indication that it was done with the intention of improving refit times.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Plus, Perdan hasn't had a capital at all this whole time. It might as well be the one named "Perdan". We haven't been able to refit since the shenanigans.