Author Topic: Magical Events in Bescanon & Surrounding Regions  (Read 19527 times)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Plus, Perdan hasn't had a capital at all this whole time. It might as well be the one named "Perdan". We haven't been able to refit since the shenanigans.

You don't get preferential treatment from the Titans after shooting yourself in the foot. :)

All I'm saying is, I hope this put to rest any complaints about how the Devs/Titans appear to be biased against Perdan.
------
qui audet vincit

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Goldpanda,

Perdan the realm moved the capital to Perdan City some time ago and it was ruled as legitimate. It was condoned by the Devs as far as I can tell. Additionally, the recent return of Perdan City to Perdan the Realm makes it so that perdan City is still, the capital. It was never moved away from Perdan City.

If you have complaints now, they have no basis as nothing was changed. No preferential treatment, no action pertaining the moving of capitals. If you perceive this as a problem, know that it was dealt with in the past.

If you want confirmation that no capital change occurred in Perdan the realm I suggest you check the message feed ingame, you'll find that there has been no capital change in the last week. I presume that is the timeframe that is relevant to your comments in this thread.

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
You don't get preferential treatment from the Titans after shooting yourself in the foot. :)

All I'm saying is, I hope this put to rest any complaints about how the Devs/Titans appear to be biased against Perdan.

...I'm not even sure what this is meant to mean, as if I had anything to do with where the past or present capital of my realm is, or was!

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It's one of those very ironic things.

Perdan City was the capital of Perdan.

When the former Perdan king took Perdan Duchy out of Perdan, Perdan City remained the capital of Perdan even though it was in Vix.

And when the Vix leader took Perdan City to Highmarch, Perdan City was still the capital of Perdan.  Even though it was in Highmarch.

Seriously.  No joke.  If you looked at the realm summary, the capital was still Perdan City.

So for a month or two, Perdan was unable to recruit any soldiers since the only place you can do that is in the capital.  But since the capital was not in the realm, we couldn't recruit there.

So after Chenier lost the vote to keep Perdan City in Highmarch and the new lord of Perdan City brought it back to Perdan, we did not need to change the capital back to Perdan City.  Because we had never changed it AWAY from Perdan City.

I honestly don't know how the game's code kept all of that straight, and I'm figuring there was probably a bug in there somewhere, but that's how it worked out.  It was a rather mind altering experience to see from the inside, let me tell you.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Why would you assume there was a bug somewhere?

It did everything that is was supposed to do, no?
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It actually made sense. Perdan had never moved their capital institutions away from Perdan thus they remained there. For Perdan not to switch during the entire debacle was a choice.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
My assumption of a "bug" would more properly stated as "not anticipated."

It is impossible for a capital city to leave a realm.  And in the past, the duchy and city were the same.

It used to be that putting a fractious duke in charge of the capital duchy was the safest choice you could make because they literally could not defect.  It anchored them to the realm with their only way to leave being to resign first.

We now have duchies separate from cities, and in this case the duchy left, taking the capital with it.

This was simply not anticipated in the original code so the game never thought to strip "capital" status from the city.  And it never thought to stop the secession of the capital city because it was the DUCHY leaving...that happened to have the capital in it.

We would have had to purposefully change it because the game did not do it.  It is an interesting shift in what is possible and how things go when certain small changes result in shifts that nobody expected.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
While that's a logical chain of deduction, it ignores some very important facts.

First of all, it has always been possible (though very rare) for a capital to go rogue or defect to another realm all on its own.

Second, it has always been possible (though difficult) for another realm to run a successful takeover of your capital.

In both of these situations, the region remains the realm's capital, even though it is not in their control, and they must manually move the capital to another region.

While I don't recall specifically whether we considered this situation when we were making the changes that decoupled cities from duchies, that was many years ago now, and we have seen situations like this come up multiple times since then. We are very comfortable with having the realm's capital outside the realm when this occurs. We have even added code to ensure that when that happens, people returning to the capital (such as when released from prison) are not sent to enemy lands, but rather are told that their realm no longer controls its capital, and they must choose a new realm to "return" to, as if they were rogues.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I don't remember how it was before duchies, but capitals have been able to change allegiance, under certain conditions, since a very long time.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Capitals cannot secede. They can change allegiance.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Interesting.  So not quite the bug I thought it was.

I myself have never seen it, and it was still amazing to play through it.

The look of consternation on some of the players' faces as they realized that yes we did actually still have a capital was a wonder to behold.  It just wasn't in our realm.  It's one of those leaps of logic that make brains crack.  And was honestly one of the more funny things to see as we went through that.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Well, just think of it as all of your capital buildings, and documents, and public servants and whatnot just being out of reach, hunkered down in an occupied location.

It's all still there... you just can't access any of it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Oh yeah.

That was very much the case.