Poll

Should magic be removed from EC and Colonies?

Yes Completely
5 (22.7%)
Greatly reduce it, but keep some around with less impact
12 (54.5%)
No, I love magic
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Under Debate: Remove magic from EC (Stable)  (Read 7087 times)

Scarth

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Remove magic from EC (Stable)
« Reply #15: May 27, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
First of all, I think it is hilarious that EC was chosen as the "low magic" island. I mean, it was always the home of Sirion - land of elves. I don't know if any of those grandfathered elven characters still exist but it is still funny to me.

Secondly, I always recalled BM as being described as a "low-fantasy middle-ages world." At least that's what it says on the home page. If that really is the case then I would suggest bringing the power and frequency of magic down to a bare minimum on every island. Make magical events rare enough to be considered legendary events. If not, consider updating the home page :-)

If there is still a need for an island with lower levels of magic, then I would aim for BM = low-magic with one no-magic island.

Vivalas

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 31, 2018, 06:49:51 AM »
Hm, maybe it still doesn't fit low fantasy but bringing magic in line with religion by having a little tree of occult research or something might be an idea. Instead of magic it's "divine intervention" and all the current magic stuff is reworked and made into things priests / religions can do.

Granted that's also a lot of work for an already stretched dev team.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #17: June 01, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
I had an idea, but I don't know how realistic it is.

What if we coded a new building, lets just call it a TOWER for now. Let's say that it can ONLY be built in the capital and will fall if the capital is moved. This tower gets two functions. The first, when constructed, the player will have an option to dampen or enhance  the likelihood of magical scrolls appearing in the realm via witch burnings and such. The second is that players will be able to exchange their scrolls for bonds, destroying the scroll in the process without using it.

I would imagine the TOWER would also correspondingly effect the advy game in that realm.

This is just a loose concept  of course, but I think it would make for an interesting added layer of EC RP if realms were also divided based on which wants to enhance or dampen magic overall.

In retrospect, I don't see why the Tower can't be built in any region big enough to support one (while limiting its effect to that region only and a lesser effect on adjacent regions...so basically like a temple? Can we use the temple code model for this and make it easy?) That way it comes down to individual lords as opposed to everyone in a realm being forced one way or the other.

Could be fun guys!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 01, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »
Enhance scroll creation in your realm
Exchange scroll for bonds
Profit $$$$$$$$$$$$$

No, I don't think that would work :-)

I just think we need to reduce magic seriously, not add more ways to intereact with or around magic.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 01, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »
Enhance scroll creation in your realm
Exchange scroll for bonds
Profit $$$$$$$$$$$$$

No, I don't think that would work :-)

I just think we need to reduce magic seriously, not add more ways to intereact with or around magic.
Agreed.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 01, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »
Hm, maybe it still doesn't fit low fantasy but bringing magic in line with religion by having a little tree of occult research or something might be an idea. Instead of magic it's "divine intervention" and all the current magic stuff is reworked and made into things priests / religions can do.

Granted that's also a lot of work for an already stretched dev team.
A lot of times, portal roleplays already take this tone.