Author Topic: Discussion on Monsters  (Read 33254 times)

Vivalas

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Discussion on Monsters
« Topic Start: May 31, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
This might be somewhat of a rant, as it basically started as a rant message I threw up in OOC on Dwilight and was surprised to see similar thoughts.

But, I seriously think the monsters aren't very constructive to the game or add much in terms of anything really. In both Dwilight and BT we nearly had RP and conflict starting up before the hordes came back and everyone was confined to fighting monsters again instead of actually interacting. Perhaps it's just the sudden influx of monsters because of the bugs, but even with "normal" monster attack rates, realms like Westgard on Dwilight basically are confined to fighting nothing but monsters, while more eastern realms just get to chill.

I suppose I understand the premise of monsters: to confine realms and add pressure... but it really just feels like it ends up as a grind. Players want to politick and intrigue and exert influence over other realms, not just walk around fighting monsters all the time. It's unfun and uninteresting for me as a military leader, and I don't imagine it is anymore interesting to the people just following my orders and fighting what are basic silent NPCs. Granted this is just my opinion, but I feel some others probably share my thoughts.

Anyways, I am making this thread to just have a general discussion on monsters, their role in BM, player's opinions on monsters, and the dev team's actual reason for putting them in-- since I don't want hearsay on that point.

My various suggestions are as follows:
1. Remove or seriously tone down monster hordes. On Dwilight, maybe just confine them to the west. Allow actual player-generated conflict to brew on continents and possibly think of a different, less time-intensive method of forcing conflict.

2. Seriously buff monster hordes to the point they're not just an annoying grind but an existential threat. Scale monster spawning rates to fit a sort of "imaginary radius" that expands and contracts along with the number of nobles on the island. Regions and realms inside the circle are unaffected, but regions outside are swarmed and very hard to keep defended. Basically turn monsters in to a sort of hard radius in which civilization can practically exist, so it constrains land and resources enough to cause conflict while allowing conflict to actually generate. This is my personal favorite.

3. Make monster hordes a lot more periodical like Daimon invasions so that it's not just this constant wear but sort of major event that can cause much-needed interruption during long periods of conflict.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:02:40 AM by Vivalas »