Author Topic: Discussion on Monsters  (Read 33252 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on Monsters
« Reply #15: June 26, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
People hate giving up power. They will rather see BT die than actually move to join others.

If you ask realm A to join realm B then realm A will tell you to tell realm B to join realm A. It just repeats over and over until people get sick of fighting monsters.

Maybe BT should be closed for good.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 28, 2018, 07:48:59 AM »
Let's put it this way.

I joined this game to play war against other thinking foes.  AKA people.  It's called BattleMaster for a reason.

Losing realms to monster swarms and droughts is not the kind of AccountingMaster I enjoy playing.

If you want BT to be an interesting game to play, let us get back to our inter-realm politicking and the wars that were just starting to build after the recovering from the last invasion.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 28, 2018, 07:56:20 AM »
There is EC for that. BT and Dwi are not for PvP. They are for PvE.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 28, 2018, 02:44:35 PM »
I mean, they're not explicitly and solely for PvE.

But when I joined this game, back in 2004, BT (even though it didn't even have that name yet) was already known as the place to go if you wanted to fight against massive, insane hordes of monsters and undead.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 28, 2018, 03:17:34 PM »
If there wasn't the human obsession with taking over every rogue region until realms have more regions than nobles, there wouldn't be a need for the rogues. Inter-realm politicking will be a lot better if humanity isn't so spread out from each other.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 28, 2018, 11:09:01 PM »
If there wasn't the human obsession with taking over every rogue region until realms have more regions than nobles, there wouldn't be a need for the rogues. Inter-realm politicking will be a lot better if humanity isn't so spread out from each other.

It is not just because of humans. Look at placements of realms and cities. They aren't helping much either.

The game was never designed to be played with so few people.

Monsters probably shouldn't attack regions where realm borders touch too.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 29, 2018, 05:36:02 AM »
That's a very true issue right there.

This game was designed back when people could run two characters on a continent, and that loss has greatly reduced the numbers of characters available.

Especially when combined with the reduction in players over the years.

Even sinking islands has only masked the dropping population.

That doesn't mean I think the right answer to the issue is what is happening now.  There have been some interesting ideas that would be cool.  What is happening now is not one of them.  Or so it appears.

Now Dwilight had an interesting idea where the West Continent was overrrun.  I didn't live through it, and have heard horror stories of what it was like, especially since the devs didn't say what they were doing until after the fact, but I think it was a very good idea.  Pick an area and say "here there be monsters.  don't go there."  It forced the human realms to contract into a tighter area to survive.

Perhaps something like that is called for on BT.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 29, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
I didn't live through it, and have heard horror stories of what it was like, especially since the devs didn't say what they were doing until after the fact
I do not recall that being the case.

Scarth

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 02, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »
And here I thought that Dwilight was supposed to be SME but people were turning it into PvE by choosing to fight rogues for unclaimed land instead of fighting each other. Maybe it has changed but the massive hordes of monster/undead are mostly in one half of the continent so going there is something people are choosing to do. If you want to face other players instead of the hordes, stay on the east side and fight other players.

And as far as I recall Beluaterra had always been advertised as a land where one must struggle against the monster/undead masses. You couldn't (can't?) even start there and had to emigrate to Beluaterra. No one forced anyone there so hearing people who chose to go there complain about the monsters/undead just leave me baffled.

Of course, maybe more has changed since I last played then I realize. :-)

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #24: July 02, 2018, 05:57:09 PM »
I understand fighting monsters, whether it is on Beluaterra or Dwilight. It is just part of the game. If you don't like it, don't be on the island.

It just makes me shake my head in confusion.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 03, 2018, 07:59:58 AM »
You can actually start on BT now.

Also, BT has had its invasions. That was the fun part of BT, fighting off rogues and Daimons and have a storyline.

Now it's just down to hordes and hordes of rogues taking over a region as soon as you get it. Noble density plays a key role and I get it. People are being forced out of their realms or locations which they have fought years to achieve.

Also, some pvp action was about to happen right when this code change was introduced, making us overwhelmed with monsters. And that's all we've been doing since.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 03, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
Should probably state that testing islands are mainly for PvE until density is back up.

Or force people to at least create 1 character on EC since that is the only functioning island at the moment.

Hoping to get the noble density up by constantly attacking realms with monsters won't achieve anything. If you want to make people move closer, then either finish realms farther away from the center to force people to move closer or give people a density notification where they can see how many nobles they need to avoid getting hammered by monsters. Maybe if people see a sign, they might think about getting more people.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: July 03, 2018, 10:23:55 AM »
Should probably state that testing islands are mainly for PvE until density is back up.

Or force people to at least create 1 character on EC since that is the only functioning island at the moment.

+1
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 03, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »
I have had the thought of creating a warning on the start takeover page, when a realm's density is too low, like we used to have the golden anti-spam notice for sending messages to the realm encouraging messages to be sent to duchy or army instead.

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: July 11, 2018, 02:24:46 AM »
Why not just disable region take over if density too low?  That will force the hand and make it where people can't expand.