Author Topic: Discussion on Monsters  (Read 33243 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on Monsters
« Reply #45: July 13, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »
I would far rather let realms take regions that have a novel status ("demesne" in a previous feature request, or imperial, or however you want to call it), where it  belongs to a realm, but doesn't count against any caps, with the tradeoff of not yielding much. No lord. Maybe knights, or not. Reduced production.

Denser realms would have an advantage, but the game would not place a hard cap that forces successful realms to stop what they are doing.

And that is the gist of what I am planning, though some details are still TBD until after I finish up the project I'm on now. (Name is one of them.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 14, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
My idea of making takeovers take longer and having regions lose control and go rogue easier was based on the idea that this is a game where lords and nobles are supposed to be powerful.

And visible.  If there are too few nobles in a realm, compared to its size, the realm simply would not look "good" to the peasants.  They would resist being part of the realm.

That might encourage players to band together to make stronger realms.  Or it might not.  Players are notoriously unwilling to give up their small kingdoms and kingships for the greater good.  ;)

I do love Chenier's idea of the Imperial or Protectorate regions.  To make that work, I would suggest that when a region is taken over it become an Imperial region rather than joining a duchy.  And if a region loses its lord and is not given a new lord within...say...a week...it become an Imperial region by default.  The ruler should have the right to hand those out to nobles if he wants, or to keep them as Imperial regions.

I honestly don't know how that would work with the idea of trying to concentrate nobles in a smaller number of closer realms, but I love the idea and think it would be awesome.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 14, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
I honestly don't know how that would work with the idea of trying to concentrate nobles in a smaller number of closer realms, but I love the idea and think it would be awesome.

It goes completely against it, but with the possibility of holding land (however loosely) that you don't need to actually assign Lords and Knights to, it changes the dynamic quite a bit.

I'm hesitant to attempt to apply any particular social/gameplay pressures on top of such a change until we've seen how things start to settle out.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 16, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »
That was the feeling I had as well.

But I still really like the idea.  ;)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 17, 2018, 07:37:49 PM »
Another thing I notice in Madina... people are complaining about being arrested by the monsters. I know, I know... they should just move out and join Luria or watherver... but...

Rogues have no judges. There are no agreements. There is nothing interesting about getting stuck for days (when you do not have gold to pay) and seeing your troops defecting while you lose, in addition to the CS itself, points of honor. I'm already considering pausing my chars in Dwilight/BT and staying only in EC and the Colonies (yes, there the game is better since it's still PvP... the sad part it's that just one turn per day). On top of players leaving, there are some mechanics helping them lose interest in the game.

I also know that all dev's service is voluntary and I don't know anything at all about coding to be able to help, but, well... if there is only one little magic button you can squeeze to frustrate less of those left, that would be a step to keep PvE less infuriating.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 18, 2018, 03:33:32 AM »
I don't agree with the specific request... but I wouldn't mind soldier pay taking into consideration wounds and capture. It is kinda lame, regardless of what prison you are in.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: July 18, 2018, 12:53:38 PM »
You're not even playing against someone... just against a code. What is the reason for being denied three days of play (at least) - in a game with a playerbase that is always decreasing - when you are playing against a code? For me, and for others I've seen in Dwilight, soon people will stay just with Colonies/EC. I can understand it in BT, where we had invasions and demons and whatever... but Dwilight was suposed to be something else.
Serpentis again!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 18, 2018, 09:40:28 PM »
For most of Dwilight's history, it was strongly "human vs monsters".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 19, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
And like when the west was swept, the monsters are always winning. But maybe it's just my nostalgia or the fact that I have to get used that BM is no longer what I used to like. My own problem, it seems.

Moving on.
Serpentis again!

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 19, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
Dwilight was the roleplaying island.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: July 19, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »

That was my impression as well... at least until the western invasion and during my time in Luria while the continent was still more concerned with religious wars than with monsters invading by the sea.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 19, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

That is incorrect.

The Far East was the RP-heavy island; however, that was never properly defined or consistently enforced.

Dwilight is the island of Serious Medieval Atmosphere. This has always been much more clearly defined, and is much less strict than the FEI's. It means that characters are expected to act like they are a) real people, b) nobles, c) in a medieval setting.

Nowadays, this requires much less of a change in mindset compared to the rest of the game, because much of what makes it up spread to the other continents after Dwilight was opened; however, previously, there was a lot more casual use of modernisms, silly behaviour, and other blatant violations of Serious Medieval Atmosphere.
Timothy Collett

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: July 19, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
Ok, but it would not be so bad to have Dwilight as another EC instead of BT.

Tried Madina... time to go back to Astrum, I think. Or any realm involved with PvP.
Serpentis again!

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: July 20, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »
East Continent is the only one doing PVP right now that I know of.

Though I don't have anyone in the Far East.  I couldn't maintain interest at only one turn per day.  I'd forget to check it and just...finally walked away rather than let down the nation I was in.

BT and Dwilight are currently only doing monster fighting because of the new code, with no opportunity to fight each other.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: July 20, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
East Continent is the only one doing PVP right now that I know of.

Though I don't have anyone in the Far East.  I couldn't maintain interest at only one turn per day.  I'd forget to check it and just...finally walked away rather than let down the nation I was in.

BT and Dwilight are currently only doing monster fighting because of the new code, with no opportunity to fight each other.

BT and Dwilight are only doing monster fighting because, despite knowing of the new code, the realms all still continue the same old behaviors that leads to monster invasions. Dwi especially.

Both continents kinda feel on their death throes now, though. It would be nice to see more PvP on at least one non-EC island... but it wouldn't just be a question of removing the monsters, because that wouldn't do any good whatsoever. You'd need to restrict the sizes of the continents... like with the ice age and blight, and we all know how well that went.

Besides, BT and Dwi are both populated by one super-dense realm that have... irregular player numbers. Even if you put Obea in Dyomoque, and all the other realms of BT all around them... they'd probably still dominate the whole island. Same kinda with Luria, minus the part where you can't really surround Luria as it's all sea, deserts and mountains. It's basically the BT and Dwi Greater Xavaxes. Except that those two continents don't have any realms, or collections of realms, that would in any way be able to match them.

I would really not see any fun in  that. I'd rather fight monsters.