Author Topic: Wiki Formatting Tips, Tricks, Assistance & Peer Review  (Read 11617 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
It occurred to me that those of us who are interested in actively documenting our adventures and histories should have a place to come together, share knowledge, and assist one another in our various projects. I know that I, personally, am perpetually in need of help from wiki-wizards who are more knowledgeable than I.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
That being said, i need help formatting a table. I recently created a newspaper for SOS and I don't understand how to alter the table's syntax to better-display the information I want up there. if anyone can assist or direct me, I'd appreciate the help!

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Obia%27Syela/Newspaper_-_The_Mute_Herald

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'd like to tell you that you can use the preview button whenever you're changing a page.

No need to push 45 changes through ;-) Just preview and push once.

That being said, for editing tables:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Table
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
I'd like to tell you that you can use the preview button whenever you're changing a page.

No need to push 45 changes through ;-) Just preview and push once.
I didn't look myself, but this times a thousand.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Lol thanks, I know how bad I am.

Will review that link asap, I appreciate the assist!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
I've made a script a while back to make it very easy to put battle reports on the wiki to save them for all times. A few things to mention1) It's in VBA, so you need to have microsoft word on your computer. If you don't, sorry. 2) I've described step by step how to use it, but if anything is unclear just hit me up here or on Discord:
https://discordapp.com/channels/386317706158276610/386317706695016462

The script to do it and step by step guide:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Battle_Reports#Code_to_paste_in_module:

*Updated version, the battle report now also autofills most of a military infobox to make it even cooler. ** Still plan to autofill the last remaining categories as well, but that requires some more extensive code. So still to be done

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I did not have time to write much else yesterday, but here's basically what I'm doing when editing wiki:

Either I find a page which is using this feature (tables, templates,..) and copy code from there
or I just go to google and do 'wiki editing [tables]' (insert your specific question there) and you'll definitely find your answer as well.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
I noticed that the Realm and Religion lists for the different continents doesn't appear to be updating correctly. Some sort of syntax problem perhaps? Anyone have any ideas?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I noticed that the Realm and Religion lists for the different continents doesn't appear to be updating correctly. Some sort of syntax problem perhaps? Anyone have any ideas?

Which page? I'll take a look at the markup and see if I can spot what's wrong.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Sorry for the late reply. I don't hit the forums as much as I used to.

Dwilight's Realms and Religions is outdated.

EC's Realms is outdated. Not sure about the Religions.

BT's Realms and Religions is outdated.

It looks like a common to all problem.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Active realms should have the Realm Box template (which you see on most Realm page) and this one automatically adds the category for that continent.

The Continent pages look at what realm pages have this Category and adds it to the list.

Now, if this last thing is not happening (the system should take care of this), then that is a bug.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I've made a few changes in the wiki to add page stubs for realms where they don't exist and to ensure pages missing from the Realms and Lost Realms lists have the appropriate template. I've also checked that erroneous realms are marked in the appropriate continent category and as either Realms or Lost Realms.

There are a few anomalies in the lists so I'll check again in a couple of days to see if this is down to caching.

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I've made a few changes in the wiki to add page stubs for realms where they don't exist and to ensure pages missing from the Realms and Lost Realms lists have the appropriate template. I've also checked that erroneous realms are marked in the appropriate continent category and as either Realms or Lost Realms.

There are a few anomalies in the lists so I'll check again in a couple of days to see if this is down to caching.

Thank you so much.  I am wiki dumb and have rarely even edited a page let alone made one.
I had noticed that Caelint had no page a while back and even asked the players of the realm if anyone would be willing to set it up.  Sadly no one stepped up.  The page looks accurate.  with the base in place, I may even try to fill in a little more.  As I said, wiki dumb.   :(

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile

Thank you for this. I've given you some Goodies as thanks. I'd note that dead realms shouldn't have RealmBoxes, only living realms; RealmBoxes also assign the categories of Realms and the continent they are on, which is why the realms remained in the living realms list.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Thanks for the goodies :)

I've added a category Old Templates which will for now link to every realm page using templates other than the standard Realm Box so that these can be updated later.

I'll also add some additional subcategories to Lost Realms to better organise by continent as I update pages erroneously showing in Realms and might implement a Template:Lost Realm at some point to add some consistency (if I have a sudden need to procrastinate).