Author Topic: Under Debate: Adventurers accumulating excess amounts of gold  (Read 3423 times)

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Title: 
Adventurers accumulating excess amounts of gold

Summary: 
In medieval times commoners were very unlikely to amass large amounts of gold (currency).
Those that did manage to get an excess of gold would likely find themselves relieved of their gold by the local lord or other commoners/thieves.

Details: 
It would be hard to look like they were living in poverty when they could afford to feed an entire town. Sooner or later someone would figure out that they have more gold than they should and word would quickly spread to lords, bandits, or other commoners that were so poor that they had nothing to loose by reporting to their lord or trying to take the gold for themselves.

No matter how cautious one is, sooner or later they are likely to slip up and someone would find out.

If the devs are interested in "controlling" the amount of gold that any advy can carry, it may be worth adding a random chance that any advy with more than XXX amount of gold may encounter such bad luck as to be found out. This could lead to a chance of being robbed and/or an even smaller chance of being murdered for their wealth.

It has been a long time since it happened to me, but I recall that I have had nobles robbed by roving bandits when traveling alone with no unit for protection.

A possible example:

An advy with 500 gold has a 30% chance of being found out.
This could increase by 5% for each additional 100 gold they carry.

Once/if found out, they could have a 35% chance of being confronted about their wealth.

If confronted, there could be a 70% chance of being robbed.
If robbed, there could be a 60% chance of only robbery, a 30% chance of being wounded while being robbed, and a 5% chance of being murdered during the robbery.

The amount of gold lost could be variable as well. When a judge takes a nobles gold, they are often left with a few gold pieces that they managed to conceal.

The type of region (rural/mountain/city...) could also increase or decrease the various percentage chances. Too much gold would be less likely noticed in a city, while the chance of being killed for your gold might be increased on a lonely rural road.

Benefits: 
First and foremost it would reduce the amount of gold that an advy is likely to have, making the game a little more realistic.
This would certainly be more realistic than advys being charged 100+ gold in road travel fees/taxes.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: 
A lot of sad adventurers. / I see NO possible exploits to this controlling measure.

It may be possible to work around this by storing gold in guildhouse treasuries, but that in itself is dangerous.
Others have access to the same treasuries and guildhouses may be robbed and or sacked by nobles, making this a gamble as well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:01:05 AM by Vita »

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You already can't carry too much as an advy. You bleed gold like crazy.

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
So long as the typical cost of ale legs hovers around 20gp, I can't imagine limiting the gold adventurers carry being an issue. Tax collection is a regular and scaling drain. A recent item improvement cost 75 gold and I've had it as high as 200. A six hour study in the academy costs 24 gold and is as good as throwing it down the toilet. Considering the risk to commoners (of being arrested and their money taken away at any time) I can't see any reason at all to deprive them of their monies.

Rather, give them.something to spend it on! Make guild houses "expandable" by adventurers in the same way temples can be by priests, would be one suggestion. Building and stocking their own home base cabin or homestead would be another.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
An advy with 500 gold has a 30% chance of being found out.

Please, tell me your secrets! I'm here trying not to die and never get more than 40 gold with and adv before die at the claws of some monsters or undeads. Someday I will learn to play the adv game.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Stop hunting rogues, for a start! You can do it for a while, when your adventurer is new and fresh and disposable but I've found you'll almost certainly die eventually.

After three losses in two months, I put a hunting ban on my remaining favorites. One hunts sages, another wizards and both repair items for the aristocracy. Powerful items can readily sell for hundreds if not thousands to the right market/island.

I've found investigating rogue groups to be fairly safe and tend to give some advance to adventuring skill, but you risk occasionally losing your hours or being hurt if they catch you. I don't know if you can be killed investigating.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You should only hunt until you get your adventuering gears up to 40~60%

Then you can reliably get crafting materials. Hunt sages down and make scrolls. Sell them for hundreds of gold. People love to collect on scrolls. Especially healing scrolls. Those are priceless since you can revive dead heroes with them.

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Sell them for hundreds of gold.

sell for hundreds if not thousands to the right market/island.

I knew you guys were out there somewhere.

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Sure, an adventurer might get lucky and be in the right ace and time to sell a rare and sought after item (+20% swordfighting is Gunna sell!) and make some good money. But I've never had (and it would be stupid) to have more than a few hundred gold on me at a time. Compare that to nobles who make it every week? I'm sure there are royals out there sitting on 10,000 gold not even including family wealth. My family has money but only because I got a handout from Atamara before it sunk.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Why can't advies just use their money to buy or forge a patent of nobility from a noble character?

"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I did that once in a guild RP where I was able to accidentally purchase a noble rank. Recommendations are easy to come by and ancient documents aren't exactly rare.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Because we can only have one noble on an island now...and if we already have a noble on the island, we're going to have to pause one of them immediately after doing this.

;)