BattleMaster > Development

Archer targeting

(1/15) > >>

Schancke:
Among the April changes were the altering of the archer targeting algorithm.

I assume this was a response to tactics in the stalemate war on East Continent.
It appears that archers now distribute randomly amont available targets, and I believe the game would benefit from further tweaking of this algorithm.
As a Lord of a heavily battered city on Beluaterra I daily see stupid and irrational archer behavior due to this change.

- Archers not shooting at units within range.
- Archers ignoring the huge enemy unit at the gates, and rather aiming for weak units further back - with the added the cost of reduced efficiency.

Is it worth considering making the archer targeting a little more intelligent?

Anaris:
I intend to make the archer targeting a bit smarter—I just haven't had the chance yet.

At the very least, I'm going to increase the ratio of archer hits to target CS before which archers stop targeting a given unit.

Zakky:
Not just archers either. MIs are worse due to this change since their range is shorter. Rushing out by themselves only to get crushed XD

GoldPanda:
Archers should potentially target all enemy units within range, with chance based on unit size, perhaps with a moderate preference for those within shorter distance. A large mass of peasant rabble or infantry is going to be a more tempting target than a small, charging cavalry unit, even if the latter might pose a greater threat to the archers.

I understand that the motivation is to stop us from sending on a small unit in front as a "pincushion" unit.

Medron Pryde:
Ah yes.

The pincushion units that have changed warfare.

Another thing to consider is the code that has infantry leave the walls if the attackers don't have infantry.  I've seen nation attacks with ONLY archers so the infantry charge out into massed archer fire and get slaughtered.  Then send in the infantry attackers the following turn to swarm the walls and take the city without any infantry to fight them.  That seems to me to be like a similar...taking advantage of fighting code situation.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version