Author Topic: Archer targeting  (Read 25152 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Archer targeting
« Reply #30: July 31, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »
Oligarch abused no rules.

You abused no rules. They abused no rules. However, you used some broken tactics to keep Oligarch alive long after it should have fallen if the game were more properly balanced. Therefore, when they did break it, it makes sense that it was also with a broken tactic.

The broken tactic they used is one that is easy to see in a single battle, which makes it easy to criticize. However, all the broken tactics described in this thread—on both sides—need to be reined in. Off the top of my head, those are:

• Drawing infantry out from behind walls with an archer-only attacking force
  • Peasant militias being too powerful, too easy to spawn, and too little damaging to the region/realm
  • Militia in general being too strong and too reliable
  • Magic on the EC

I'd be happy to have others remind me of any that I've missed.

I want to be absolutely clear that I do not consider either Oligarch and its allies, nor Sirion and its allies, to have done anything wrong in this. The fault, to the extent that there is fault here, lies with us, the developers, who allowed these imbalances to continue to exist, and the way forward lies not in trying to assign blame or decide whose behaviour was less acceptable, but in determining how we can make things better balanced and more fun for the future.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan