Author Topic: Archer targeting  (Read 24717 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Archer targeting
« Reply #30: August 01, 2018, 01:54:32 AM »
I still don't really see "archers drawing out infantry" as being a problem. What else are they to do? If the infantry stays behind the walls, they get hammered without retaliating. But if they reach the archers in melee, they can quickly make ground meat out of them. If you just end the battle there after a turn or two, it doesn't change anything, it just makes the battles take more days instead of battle turns.

But seriously, if 20k CS archers attack a city with 10k CS of archer militia and 10k CS of infantry militia, with lvl 5 walls, I fully expect the militia to win. From what I was described, I'd still expect it to win.

If 50k CS of archers attack a city that has the same composition, though, then yea, the militia should lose. But you know what, if 50k CS of infantry attack the same thing, they should win too.

All in all, though, the main issue was that militia would not rally right away.

If a realm is afraid of enemies drawing out infantry with pure archer armies, there's a number of really simple fixes. First of all is: don't rely on militia so much. Second is: be mindful of your militia composition. Archer militia would shine behind walls in an archery duel. lvl 5 walls reduce incoming damage significantly. A smallish archer garrison could fend off much larger forces.

It's all kind of rock-paper-scissors, though. And thus, in the end, player choices, and mistakes. A purely archer army is in no way invincible.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron