Author Topic: Archer targeting  (Read 24687 times)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Archer targeting
« Reply #30: August 02, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
Yeah...I can see an overwhelming army winning.

But..30k defenses versus 30k to maybe 40k attackers does not an overwhelming attacking army make.  Especially when the defenders are behind level 5 walls.

That makes them a suicide squad, not an overwhelming army.

Remember the standard rule of needing DOUBLE the CS to take a city.

If your alliance of four or five nations has to take advantage of weaknesses in the combat AI and rains of magic to wound the defending nobility and stop their players from being able to play the game at all, just to beat a single nation, then you need to find a better way to play the game.

(Though I will grant once again that Oligarch was receiving support from outside which allowed us to work at a higher peak efficiency than a single nation, truly alone, could have.  That did make us much more resilient to the normal attrition of war.  Also, only one of Sirion's allies had a truly impressive mobile force.  The others were also rans which wouldn't have meant much on their own.)

Oligarch was sending a 10k to 20k army into the field during the Sirion Civil War.
Sirion could normally deploy a 10k to 20k army of their own, which Oligarch handily trounced again and again.

Epollyon could do 10k to 20k as I remember when Sirion called them in and made it a more general war.
The rest maybe provided 5k or 6k each.

It was enough to push Oligarch back, but it wasn't an overwhelming advantage when the city walls were factored in.

Now once again, I do agree that militias need to be toned back.  Right now they are handled, and recruited like, standard military units.  They simply don't have leaders.  They cost a similar amount to train and deploy as noble-led units.  They are...the same.  That makes it easy for a very small realm to deploy a lot of militia to hold city walls.

What if, instead of treating them like organized, and trained soldiers that simply act like normal military units, we treated the militia as a more untrained reserve?  Remember that the modern militia idea of trained soldiers with firearms that can fight and win against a trained military is...well...very modern American in style.  But in the medieval world, no peasant had the time to learn how to use a bow and arrow.  Only trained men at arms did.  And they followed a noble, or were lesser nobility themselves.

What if we treated militia units more like peasant armies?  Make them based on the population of the region, with each region lord able to increase or decrease the size of the militia by shifting a setting that would increase or decrease their impact on the economy, but with a finite limit to how large they can be based on that population.  And limit them to more infantry-style tactics.  Like the peasant armies.

Also, we already have the peasant armies in the code, so I'm thinking that might not be too difficult to implement as coding goes.