Author Topic: Archer targeting  (Read 25307 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Archer targeting
« Reply #45: August 07, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »
In the medium-to-long-term, I'd like to buff both walls and siege engines.

This is all still very nebulous, but I have Ideas about changes to the system that would make it effectively impossible to take a defended city without a significant number of siege engines. One is to make the height of the walls affect archer fire—in both directions. So, for instance, every 2 levels of wall would increase the range of archers atop the wall by 1 line, and reduce the effective range of archers shooting up it by 1 line. This would mean that with range 4 archers on both sides, in a city with level 5 walls, the archers on top of the wall would be able to hit the archers below 4 lines before they'd be able to hit the defenders.

But as I say, that's all still very nebulous, and none of it is in my short-term plans.

I don't mind seeing walls granting extra range but SEs definitely need to compensate for their crappiness. I think infantry should have built in SE that will allow them to scale walls but actually buying one should increase the effectiveness by a lot. Maybe explosive charges should be changed a bit so units carrying those can punch a hole or something. Or at least add a way to damage the walls from a range with trebuchets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIeAXKAAKv4