Author Topic: Starting Unit tweaks : Archers  (Read 5255 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Unit tweaks : Archers
« Topic Start: August 09, 2018, 09:22:26 PM »
Thought you already do more damage in the shorter range?

You do, in linear proportion—twice as much damage at 2 lines as at 4 lines, regardless of max range.

But based on the way people see and use archers, which I think Chénier's post is probably fairly representative of, I think that is likely insufficient to make up for the extra rounds of damage archers do by having longer range. At least in the players' minds.

Even worse for R1. R1 is essentially useless. I don't even know why we are even seeing R1 archer options.

...You are? That's a bug.

I can think of one quick way to change how much damage you do with ranged units. Maybe your overall damage is the same. Let's say you can do 1000 damage across all of your range. If you are range 4, you will do 250 each row. But if your enemies are 4 rows away, you will do 250/4. Maybe you get an option to focus your fire so instead of doing equal 250 damage per row, maybe you can focus 700 damage on row 3 while doing 100 damage per row on your remaining rows.

That doesn't sound quick, or simple ;D

I invite further discussion on this, and I'll see if I can come up with something good (or use something that comes out of the discussion) some time late next week when I'm no longer at a beach house in Florida.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan