Author Topic: NewReader/NewWriter feedback  (Read 12044 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
NewReader/NewWriter feedback
« Topic Start: August 14, 2018, 02:24:41 PM »
Hi all,

Following the announcement Tim made about the recent changes to the Message System (and how it uses scout reports as 'attachments'), he also shared the following:

In about a month (once all the existing messages are finished going through the system), we will also be putting live some of the last code Tom worked on for BattleMaster before moving on to Might & Fealty: updated message-writing and message-reading pages. These are currently still unfinished, but have actually been available for general testing for years now. You can find the New Writer and New Reader in the /experimental/ area and test them out for yourself (you will want to copy those links) and give feedback, but be aware that they are still not fully complete.

I'd like to open this topic so anyone who wishes to give feedback on this new (unfinished!) message system, can post it here.

We thank you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:26:18 PM by Vita »
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
Re: NewReader/NewWriter feedback
« Reply #1: August 19, 2018, 12:36:51 AM »
New Writer:

• Missing the option to message "some" in any of the groups.
  • Location only has "everyone", "all nobles" and "region lord". Not allies or realm mates.
  • Is the "some" supposed to be replaced in the Conversations tab? It's unclear. Also unclear how to select many.
  • Apparently my OOC message to a random few people from my contacts list went out with char name and titles after my own in my signature.
  • Not enough information on each people to Select from in Conversations tab. Need to see titles, guild rank, some other info would be useful, maybe new columns or just added info on rank column.
  • Would like an option to show more (50-100 contacts at once), select all, unselect all, on the selection options of the Conversations tab. Ideally a select all on guild would send to everyone in guild. A select all in realm would send to everyone in realm. I don't know. There are problems like selecting advies in "all realm". However, if you give me the chance, I will only use the conversations tab. It's beautiful and amazing. Only problem with it is how many clicks to get there.
  • I can see Conversations getting pretty cluttered very quickly. Maybe offer us a way to order them or store them, or rename them?
  • Where's the in-realm message groups?

Basically, love the conversations tab.
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 19, 2018, 03:01:04 AM »
It scares me.

The message system is what the game always used... it *is* the game.

I still use Win7.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 19, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »
New Writer:

• Missing the option to message "some" in any of the groups.
  • Location only has "everyone", "all nobles" and "region lord". Not allies or realm mates.
  • Is the "some" supposed to be replaced in the Conversations tab? It's unclear. Also unclear how to select many.
  • Apparently my OOC message to a random few people from my contacts list went out with char name and titles after my own in my signature.
  • Not enough information on each people to Select from in Conversations tab. Need to see titles, guild rank, some other info would be useful, maybe new columns or just added info on rank column.
  • Would like an option to show more (50-100 contacts at once), select all, unselect all, on the selection options of the Conversations tab. Ideally a select all on guild would send to everyone in guild. A select all in realm would send to everyone in realm. I don't know. There are problems like selecting advies in "all realm". However, if you give me the chance, I will only use the conversations tab. It's beautiful and amazing. Only problem with it is how many clicks to get there.
  • I can see Conversations getting pretty cluttered very quickly. Maybe offer us a way to order them or store them, or rename them?
  • Where's the in-realm message groups?

Basically, love the conversations tab.

This is useful feedback.

It scares me.

The message system is what the game always used... it *is* the game.

I still use Win7.

This is not.

Not saying it's not valid—it's just not useful to me.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 19, 2018, 05:24:02 AM »
I'd add that marked messages aren't available yet either. I was delighted to come across a gossip option with the ability to applaud someone, and look forward to that feature getting flshed out.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 02, 2018, 02:51:58 PM »
I just quickly checked it out on my phone but the layout/working on mobile seems to be rather wonky for now.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #6: October 04, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Tim, it wasn't clear if with the new reader I can still see *all* messages in one screen, and only after choose to see messages separated under categories.

This, and also...

How about a fancy "download" button where it instantly converts to .txt the last 30 days of sent/received/both messages?

I would also like to be able to sort from oldest to newest to oldest to newest on any message screen.
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 04, 2018, 09:20:47 PM »
Yes and...

sorting by type: roleplay!
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 11, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
Reviving this topic.

We need more feedback please.

I know everyone is longing for a reply to list option. This is going to be it.

Test it out, provide feedback we can work with.

The more we can get this finalised; the sooner we can implement it.

Thanks.

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 11, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
From discord, posted here to help keep track of feedback.

Jdodger:

my initial reaction is that its going to be much more confusing for new players with those very opaque tab names
the old message system, while imperfect at least is very clear in the intent of the things you need to click on
the new reader is even worse in the same regard
yikes
how is this supposed to improve the game? seems way harder to navigate, much less intuitive

Bronnen:

Excited about the reply to list option

Dodger:

that is definitely a good idea, but one that could be implemented without a bunch of opaque menus and submenus

Tourmaline:

Using it a few time and it makes good sense
I think the order of some tabs should change
like probably Personal should be the first tab
then under Hierarchy I would put Realm and then Military and then rest
What is really missing is a list of everyone in the selection, that is needed
When a message is sent it doesn't say who it was sent to which is weird
What is cool however is now there is a 'Conversation' that was created so I can easily message the same set of people again

jdodger:

New players are not going to use it multiple times in order to figure it out
If myself an only half retarded person who has played this game for years can't look at that and immediately figure out how it works it is way too complicated for new players

Tourmaline:

What do you think would make it more clear or intuitive?

jdodger:

way less submenus
If you're going to have a system where the things you are actually looking for are hidden and you need to click through multiple menus to get to them it requires that the initial clicks are extremely obvious as to their intent which at present they are not
At best when I look at the the initial selection of menus I'm making educated guesses as to what is within those menus. New players aren't even able to make educated guesses so they will be clicking blindly through menus to try to find the appropriate final click to send the message to the person that they want to send it to
The present system, which I do acknowledge is flawed, is not that terrible. at least it puts the Final Destination directly in front of you and while you need to read through a list of things at least it's right there on the same page and you don't need to click multiple times, possibly not even clicking on the correct thing to begin with, to find the Final Destination IE the person or list you actually want to send a message to

Tourmaline:

Well it's like the balance between not enough options visible and too many options visible lol
Like Realm, Council, Duchy, Region can probably be put together
So instead of Hierarchy you have just Realm and Military at the top

jdodger:

I'd rather have everything in front of me where I can see it rather than hidden behind multiple clicks which are not obvious to their intent

Tourmaline:

I really like the tab Organizations however
It's fine for that to be tabulated and more hidden and noobs won't have it anyways
maybe instead of calling it Realm call it General and also put Location under that

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:55:28 AM by Abstract Logic »

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 12, 2019, 02:29:17 AM »
Reviving this topic.

We need more feedback please.

I know everyone is longing for a reply to list option. This is going to be it.

Test it out, provide feedback we can work with.

The more we can get this finalised; the sooner we can implement it.

Thanks.

Wait, we can now reply to custom lists?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 12, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »
Wait, we can now reply to custom lists?

Try out the links at in the first post. See for yourself.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 16, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
Has an option to share messages with certain contacts been considered?
Would be handy to use the new reader to share certain messages based on the catagory options, for example share all messages of guild house A with all realm members or all duchy members.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 23, 2020, 08:46:48 AM »
Already mentioned this in Discord to Tim, but in order to have everything grouped:

I sent messages to entire realm, but apparently no one is getting these in the regular message screen (no sure if you get them by using the 'NewsReader' screen)
So at this moment it's dangerous to try it out.

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #14: June 26, 2021, 05:32:31 PM »
Hey!

First off, love the look of the new reader and the new features are very cool.

I noticed a couple of things just in my cursory glance through.  The first is that marked messages aren't appearing correctly.  There is no tab in the new viewer to easily reach my currently marked messages.  As well, marked messages seem to be removed from the "Today" tab once they are marked.  They re-appear once unmarked.

The other thing that immediately jumped out at me is that the filters "All types - messages - reports - events - orders - OOC" are missing.  This was a super useful tool to quickly find relevant messages and I hope it will be included again soon.

I'll keep looking around and messing with it and update the thread as I find anything else worth mentioning.  Excited for this and the new writer to launch!
No man is an island, unto himself.