Author Topic: Under Debate: Improving World News  (Read 3618 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Under Debate: Improving World News
« Topic Start: August 14, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
Title: Improving World News

Summary: When a noble or adventurer is executed, this information would be shared globally. When a region goes rogue (declares independence), this would be shared globally. When a region changes hands, this information would be shared globally.

Details: I seem to recall the execution of adventurers would send a global island wide message (Maybe on BT during the invasion...?). Was this removed? It was good to receive an Island update at sunrise, which now seems to only include huge battles or ruler elections.

https://battlemaster.org/testing/worldnews.php
This link only seems to include huge battles. It would be nice if it also showed the executions, TOs, and regions declaring independence, and ruler elections as well.

Benefits: Easier, global access to publicly available information

Possible Downsides/Exploits: None that come to mind at the top of my head
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:59:30 AM by Vita »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Improving World News
« Reply #1: August 14, 2018, 04:21:38 PM »
Summary: When a noble or adventurer is executed, this information would be shared globally.

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight.

Every time some random commoner gets himself hanged for some random crime, you want that to be international news?!

That's preposterous. Why, there would be bulletins going out every hour!

When a region goes rogue (declares independence), this would be shared globally. When a region changes hands, this information would be shared globally.

Yeah, those should be widely shared.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 14, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
The news of commoner executions is comforting to many of us. Being able to read them would help me fall asleep better.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 14, 2018, 04:39:57 PM »
Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight.

Every time some random commoner gets himself hanged for some random crime, you want that to be international news?!

That's preposterous. Why, there would be bulletins going out every hour!

;D

Well, perhaps their noble overlords in their realm should be informed for the deaths of the adventurous sorts, so they may demand compensation! They do get updates when they show up in the realm, after all.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 14, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
;D

Well, perhaps their noble overlords in their realm should be informed for the deaths of the adventurous sorts, so they may demand compensation! They do get updates when they show up in the realm, after all.

I'm 80% sure that the Lord of the region an adventurer belongs to does get notified if he's executed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 14, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »
I'm 80% sure that the Lord of the region an adventurer belongs to does get notified if he's executed.

Yes, somebody does for sure-
Commoner Executed   (1 hour, 50 minutes ago)
personal message
A commoner, Alexandre, working on your grounds was executed by the judge of Kingdom of Alara. While just a lowly peasant, he still belonged to you. You should probably demand payment for your loss.

I take the point about it not being reported internationally. However, if you have an advy from your realm repairing an item for you and then next minute he disappears, you are looking for some payback for the lost item- and if there is a judge to blame, why, that sounds like it could generate an incident! In most cases, advies work more with the nobles in their realm than the lord of the region (I presume this is the region they spawn in?). So a realm wide notice would be nice.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 15, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
We don't want to know about every single commoner out there.

Just the adventurers that work with the nobility in caring for strong and powerful artifacts of war and magic.

;)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 15, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
We don't want to know about every single commoner out there.

Just the adventurers that work with the nobility in caring for strong and powerful artifacts of war and magic.

;)

And how do we go about selecting those that you care about and those you don't care about?
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #8: August 15, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
And how do we go about selecting those that you care about and those you don't care about?

Let me break atmosphere here and state the obvious... Player characters vs non-player characters.

Maybe the realm's judge should get a notification when a commoner from the realm is executed? I think in EC we do have the region lord getting the notification, but an advy from my realm who joined from prison (so allegiance would be maybe to my judge char?) didn't generate any warning, I only found out about it because player made a new advy and told me. I also assume that if the region changes realm, the advy doesn't, and then there's no region lord left to hear about that.

So just add one more layer of warning? You gotta say that the realm's judge personally choosing to execute a commoner already elevates the commoner above the rest, no? Or at least sends a political message?
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 15, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
I think nobles and advies are generally way too close as it is already. I'm all in favor of keeping their deaths mostly anonymous.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 16, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
I would like to know when a player character, whether noble or commoner, is killed.

I often get a "so and so has left the guild" message and wonder what happened.  Did they leave?  Or were they killed?  And I never find out.  Which is sad.  I would like to know what happens to all these people.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 16, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
I for one do not care about commoners. They die like flies. Who cares. But nobles don't die often. So their deaths matter.