Author Topic: Under Debate: Estate Descriptions  (Read 2700 times)

Cameron (Pavus)

• Marketing
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Under Debate: Estate Descriptions
« Topic Start: August 14, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
Title: Estate Descriptions
Summary: Similar to character descriptions, the implementation of descriptions for estates would be a great addition - maybe even a picture too, but mostly the writing I find important. I have found there to be a level of struggle when moving (or even just taking up) an estate and wondering - has anyone established anything about this estate before that I should know about it, and use going ahead? It is what we would do with a region description, and this could make estates much better for roleplaying in as there will always be a solid description of it for all to see.
Details: Just the adding of a description box and maybe that of a picture, much like that of the character page. Perhaps also remove the statue and memorial for gold system, though I'm not sure if that has any added benefits beyond saying that it exists in the estate. Such a description would no doubt easily replace it. Additionally, perhaps a similar system could also be added for family estates?
Benefits: It would encourage people to roleplay in their estates with as little hassle as possible. It will help make the world feel more alive, and so when you take up an estate, you know its history when you do so, and is the perfect invitation as when you join a realm and choose an estate, you know there is history there.
Possible Downsides or Exploits: I can't think of any downsides of exploits.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:57:27 AM by Vita »

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Estate Descriptions
« Reply #1: August 15, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
I'd say the obvious downside for this is that Estates come and go. Lords can remove them, rename them, add new ones at a whim.

So putting time and effort in writing an estate description could be deleted by the Lord in 1 second.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 15, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
Yeah. Estates change too often. I don't think this will add much to the game.

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #3: August 15, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
Maybe lords wouldn't be so whimsical about them if they had descriptions attached to them.
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 15, 2018, 04:04:00 PM »
I'm going to take the approach I take with M&F, if it's easy to implement and doesn't actually detract from the game, why not?
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 16, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
I'm going to take the approach I take with M&F, if it's easy to implement and doesn't actually detract from the game, why not?

Because as a concept, I do not agree with estate descriptions. But that's just me.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 17, 2018, 12:57:55 AM »
Empty descriptions kind of detract from the atmosphere, imo. It's like those region descriptions, every time it's empty or really half-assed. Just makes one sigh and go "after all this time, no one could be bothered???".

Also, all estates are reset when a region is lost, so...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #7: August 17, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
The same can be accomplished by editing the region page of the wiki and inserting named links to the regional description in game itself.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 18, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »
The same can be accomplished by editing the region page of the wiki and inserting named links to the regional description in game itself.

Or by asking the lord to write in the description you want for your estate.