Author Topic: Rejected: Remove adventurers from the game  (Read 19238 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Remove adventurers from the game
« Topic Start: September 08, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
Darn it.

That's one interesting game mechanic now denied to those of us who use adventurers.

Why was it determined to be a bug all of a sudden?  And what's with the sudden call for their removal?

Though I don't have any specific quotes to cite on this, I quite distinctly recall Tom's intention for adventurers being that they could not use scrolls.

He stated very clearly on many occasions that he intended the adventurer game and the noble game to be mostly separate. There were many instances where he could easily have added interactions allowing adventurers to participate actively in wars, but did not—or even explicitly prevented them from doing so, like making their ability to investigate the troops in a region not provide a scout report, but rather coding something completely new for them.

At some point, I'm not sure just when, the block on adventurers using scrolls was removed. To my knowledge, this is the first time anyone has made any organized effort to use adventurers in war as anything beyond extremely ineffective scouts (or gold mules, but that was an obvious abuse that has been both forbidden, and nerfed in the code).

If people had not gotten together to use scrolls to, essentially, completely obliterate a realm with no possible chance of blocking it, incidental use of magic by adventurers would have continued to be overlooked.

Basically, look to the people who organised this, because they're why you can't have nice things.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan