Author Topic: Rejected: Remove adventurers from the game  (Read 19226 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Remove adventurers from the game
« Topic Start: September 08, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
How many times have I heard that single-region realms should not exist and that people should work together and interact more.

I dunno. You haven't heard it from me.

I don't think it's great to have a realm that can't hold more than a single region for a long period of time, but I'm certainly never going to come down on a realm that has been forced back to their capital and say "they should just up and die without having a chance to come back."

But when they do work together and interact more and the effect is destruction of a single-region realm you punish the entire advy playerbase for it.

Not all "working together" is equal.

In this case, people "worked together" to come up with a novel way to bend things just enough to achieve a spectacularly unpleasant effect that was never intended by the devs.

Taking stuff away from players, stuff players enjoy, due to isolated events is never a good idea.

An event like this won't stay isolated for long. Once people see that it's possible, they're going to want to do it, too, because it's highly effective and extremely difficult to stop.

The other possible reaction to this is for everyone to just start arresting and executing every adventurer they see.

I don't think either of those is something we want to have happen.

Especially since it doesn't fix the part that could be perceived as wrong in this entire event. If several people would decide to wipe out Bara'Khur or Angband or... whatever 1/2 region realms there is on BT - they could still do it, just not by using advies.

The problem isn't that they crippled the realm in itself—it's that it was done in a way that provided no warning, gave no possibility of stopping it, and left all the players involved wounded so they couldn't do anything afterward. Furthermore, it only required, what, about 4 adventurers? and the scrolls they were able to obtain.

If a couple of realms decided to get together and destroy Bara'Khur, I'm sure they could do it. It would require coordinating multiple armies, marching across rogue lands, being very obvious and visible to everyone while they came (though the number of times players insisted that Daimons had "teleported" in recent invasions, just because they forgot to scout regions for a day or two, suggests that might not be quite as obvious as it should be), and when they assaulted the city, the Bara'Khur players would get to participate in battle, probably multiple times, with the benefit of their fortifications, then trash-talk the enemy while they spent the next week or three trying to take it over or loot it rogue.

I hope this makes clear why I see this as being very different from the way nobles can destroy a realm.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan