Author Topic: Adventurers No Longer Using Scrolls - Discussion  (Read 13631 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurers No Longer Using Scrolls - Discussion
« Reply #30: September 09, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »
It's just that BM design does not fit it's current playerbase. Especially on BT. And we're all screwed by this but I am certain that taking away from people is only going to make this worse.

This. Currently, BT is slowly stagnating away, a shell of what it was- in my view for a variety of reasons, including the blighted map and lower playerbase- desperately in need of fixing somehow. PvP wars aren't likely to happen for IRL years, if the remaining player base sticks around through the exercise of masochism that is grinding against the "density" monsters and dead- both on BT and Dwilight.

In this case, many dozens of players thus went through the trouble of collecting these scrolls, and created the most significant event that has been seen in months on the continent- since this density invasion began at least. Again, players- not manual intervention through portals, making it that much more important- and yes, the effects were devastating, and the fact that 8-9 advies did the castings can be debated- however this was precisely what was envisioned with the scrolls - I distinctly recall them being referred to as mechanisms to have player controlled invasions.

Instead of recognising these things, both on discord and the forum, the players involved were accused of ooc coordination, exploitation and bug abuse. I am not even going to bother with the coordination BS, but since I heard the bug abuse come up multiple times- and apparently the bug is advies using scrolls- How can there be bug abuse when no one knows this is a bug? How can it be bug abuse when one of the game's chief devs himself doesn't agree it was a bug? Meanwhile, these allegations get thrown around freely and flippantly. I thought that part of the social contract is not to publicly accuse anyone of cheating and abuses?

The underlying problem here is that BT and Dwilight are now nothing more than grinds against monster/undead hordes. I somehow don't think this is part of Tom's vision for the game either- and yes, perhaps that is a symptom of the declining player base, who are all desperately trying to make do in these circumstances. Instead of throwing accusations at folks playing a game, it would be nice if there was a proper discussion on how to fix the game in a way that brings people to it instead of driving them away.

Based on the many discussions on discord, people are not short on ideas on how to do this- I personally think bringing back a resettable SI is the best thing that can happen short term. However, what has happened to BT and Dwi cannot be ignored either- and I think there needs to be an open discussion with the players at large to figure out what we can do together for these two worlds, and what players would be happy to see happen to this islands to make them fun again.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell