Author Topic: Additional Line Settings  (Read 3916 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Additional Line Settings
« Topic Start: September 19, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »

Title: Additional Line Settings

Summary: As much as we are given to Roleplay, this game and all the plots within it revolve around a single aspect of play: Warfare. I want to expand game tactics by Adding a new dimension to combat in battlemaster by upgrading the line settings to include Left, Right, and Center. Flanking. Commanding Officer Morale bonus with associated Honor/Prestige benefits. Adds Flanking to battle calculations/report with associated +/- for units involved.

Details:
This is an idea to enhance one of the primary focuses of this game: battles. As it stands, we roleplay our place on the battlefield and imagine how we lead or units to victory or suffered defeat. We can improve this by adding a new dimension to combat in battlemaster by upgrading the line settings to include Left, Right, and Center alignments for units. This would be in addition to and located with the Front/Middle/Back/Rear settings we already have. In considering this feature, we’d also have to add the status of FLANKE(R/D). For example, take a scenario where a single unit of Rogues are being attacked by three human units (Groups A-C). For the sake of argument (and perhaps implementation) let’s say that the Rogues are default aligned to Center opposite Group B. Both sides proceed toward the other. At contact, Group B will have encountered the Rogues and begun fighting. Group A and C, however, being in different Rows, would continue to proceed forward until their sides contact the Rogue Group. The Rogue Group will then be considered FLANKED and be given minuses to morale. Groups A and C will be considered FLANKERS and be granted bonuses to Attack. HOWEVER, say the Rogues had 3 groups to match the humans, then upon contact neither group would be able to flank until on group on the opposite side was forced to withdraw. See where I’m going with this?

With this dynamic, I would argue that Honor/Prestige for battles needs to be looked at as well. It’s not hard to find examples in history where those on the front lines received the most honor, while those in the rear (usually the higher-ups) would gain more prestige. Arguably, this could be a separate post, but since I’m on the subject, the current BM system does not work this way and I believe that players should be able to vie for the positions they want based on whether they want more honor or more prestige for their characters. Naturally, units that do manage to flank other units should be (and historically were) awarded more honor and prestige. For example, in big battles, a noble commanding an infantry unit can expect to get up to +2 Honor/Prestige. Now, if that same unit managed to flank an enemy, I think they should get an additional A/P award. I also believe that should stack to better adequately express the coolness of one unit managing to flank multiple others in a single battle, but I digress.

Finally, I would say that if wherever a Ruler, General, Marshal, Or Vice-Marshal are arrayed (Left/Right/Center) in the line of battle (Front/Mid/Back?Rear) That any other units sharing that alignment should receive a morale bonus corresponding to the symbolic officer rank. Further, i would tweek these same algorithms so that enemy units are more likely to target units that are commanded by a titled officer or ruling council member. In war, this was often the case. While I'm at it, i would award players additional H/P for wounding a titled officer, but again, I digress.

In Conclusion, adding Left/Right/Center and associating attack as well as H/P bonuses for flanking units would enrich this game in a plethora of ways. With this feature, even the standard way that generals think about line settings will be revolutionized. Battles would require longitudinal planning and having a player that is a great general could be worth more on the battlefield than, say, having a wealthy stronghold or great recruiting centers. A small force can overwhelm a big one not simply by having better equipment, but better tactics. This addition would emphasize fighting smarter in this game.

Benefits: Marshals will be able to greatly increase their control of the battle. Grant players more control of the honor/prestige they can expect from a battle. Adds greater depth for tactically-minded players and more cinematic action descriptors for our roleplay-minded players. It would also make spying a lot more important, and a lot more difficult to rely upon. There are so many ways that this addition could enhance our game.

Possible Downsides or Exploits: I am uncertain with how this would conflict with the Marshal settings. From what I can see, it really should not have any impact on them at all? Regardless, I imagine that this would be a massive project to code. Technical difficulties aside, there is no way for players to abuse this feature that aren’t already established parts of the game (like intentionally sabotaging your own side by ignoring line settings and such). In addition, I don’t know how unit targeting algorithms are determined during battle so I am assuming its just random. So we would have to define if a unit is considered flanked simply by having an additional enemy unit in its same Line (front,mid,back,rear) Or if they are only considered flanked when engaged by two or more melee units. Presently, it seems like any melee unit in the same line can attack any other melee unit in the same line. If the Right/Left/Center change is implemented, that would have to redefined as well.

"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"