Author Topic: Rejected: In game IC chat  (Read 4456 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: In game IC chat
« Topic Start: October 22, 2018, 04:46:04 AM »
This would be vastly complex to implement from scratch, and I'm very skeptical that it would even do more good than harm, frankly.

I can understand the desire for it, but this is one I'm going to have to reject fairly firmly.
I've seen this being talked about on the Lemuria/M&F Discord and it got brought up a couple times in private messages to me.

I absolutely agree on 'from scratch'. That's way beyond what our development team can handle and should be rejected. But when I imagined this proposal, that wasn't what I pictured. I'm almost certain there are libraries out there that allow generating a real-time chat interface that could fit our needs.

And I don't think its a bad idea either; I'm ambivalent if its a good idea. I'm *not* saying it should be approved and I told Tali and others that privately, but I don't think the concept of an in-game real-time chat should be flatly rejected either. As I understand, M&F might implement this soon and I'm more interested in observing that first than coming to a firm decision for having such a thing in BattleMaster yet. What I did tell Tali and others is that even if I think its not a bad idea, I do not think our development team can reasonably put that on any near-term agenda if we were convinced to approve it.

*If* we were to do it, it seems most sensible for those characters physically in a region, members of a realm, members of a religion, those at a tournament, and prisoners in a dungeon.