Author Topic: "Troops" adjustment on Dynamic Map  (Read 2158 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: "Troops" adjustment on Dynamic Map
« Topic Start: October 29, 2018, 02:03:15 PM »
Details: I have no idea how hard it would be to code, but it would be nice to have this feature represent fairly accurately army positions. Would make it so much more user friendly for marshals and generals. Maybe the frames are already supposed to indicate how much CS there is... but that's not explained, and that's not very intuitive. Having a greater number of flags (1 per 2500 cs?) display or, even better, a number next to it would be so very nice. For example, if region A has 1337 CS of army B, then there could be the army flag followed by 1.3 (base 1000 CS, 1 decimal).

The major problem is space. There are many places in the game where regions are close enough together that trying to cram any useful amount of information in is just going to overlap and become illegible. That's why I built this feature that way in the first place.

There'd also need to display the non-army troops. Perhaps the general should get to pick a flag for the realm's unassigned troops. Then give it a frame for the militia version.

Hm. I think there's already a display of those, but I don't remember what it uses for a banner.

Potentially adding all foreign troops as well from all of the realm's shared scout reports?

This is a dream of mine (specifically using all the scout reports you yourself possess, whether you or someone else took them originally), but it's currently quite impossible. Scout reports contain no information the game can readily access—they're purely HTML copies of the RegionDetails page at the time the scout report was taken, stored in the DB verbatim.

One of my medium-term projects is to have the game actually store the troop information you see in scout reports in a separate table, so it understands what it's remembering for you and can aggregate it in precisely this form.

With the potency of this info, though, it should be reserved to marshals, vice-marshals, and generals. Perhaps marshals should only see their own army, militia, and their own army's scout report results, and only the general should get the whole picture. Way too easy, otherwise, for a spy to just grab a print screen, and send it to his buddies on their private discord.

As with most such features, the intent is that anyone who has access to the information in other forms can see it here, too. So if you can see the locations and CS of your armies in table form, you'll be able to see them on the dynamic map. (I don't remember offhand who has what level of that information currently.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan