Author Topic: Shameless Astrum Recruitment Thread  (Read 18669 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Shameless Astrum Recruitment Thread
« Reply #15: December 12, 2018, 02:11:12 PM »
On the other hand, if someone prominent in Astrum holds these as ideals, and people join Astrum expecting them, they can work together to make the things he says true.

If, on the other hand, everyone just says, "Astrum is terrible, don't go there, no one ever does anything," then there's no chance for the realm to improve.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 12, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »
If, on the other hand, everyone just says, "Astrum is terrible, don't go there, no one ever does anything," then there's no chance for the realm to improve.

Yes very true.
Everytime we complain we should realize instead what we can do to change that which we don't like.

My character tried a bit and left eventually, sort of the cowards way out.
But its definitely easier to leave and join realms that are more fun than to put effort in making a boring realm fun.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 12, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »
If Astrum is willing to change which I hope they are planning to, then maybe the realm can be recommended to older players.

But I would never recommend Astrum to a new player who wants to get into the game right away. I'd recommend more active realms for them.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 12, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
On the other hand, if someone prominent in Astrum holds these as ideals, and people join Astrum expecting them, they can work together to make the things he says true.

I've seen too many places fail to deliver on promises... When a realm has not used past opportunities, one should not gamble on it using future opportunities.

Yes, losing a bunch of nobles can create a viscous cycle that's hard to get out of, but attitude remains key. From what I keep hearing, Astrum has a very rigid model it wants to adhere to, and more care is placed to maintain that model, than to try to keep things fun for its nobles. Those two goals don't need to be antagonistic, but that's just an observation of where all of the leadership's energies seem to be going.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 12, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
Not to mention it is a theocracy. Was a good system when SA was strong. Now with SA being so unpopular, it is hard to convince people to join a realm that focuses so much around it.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 12, 2018, 11:08:49 PM »
Not to mention it is a theocracy. Was a good system when SA was strong. Now with SA being so unpopular, it is hard to convince people to join a realm that focuses so much around it.

Not made easier by people talking it down in its thread. People have made their opinion known, continuing it is just hijacking this thread and destroying someones efforts to revitalise a realm. No one would like it if it was their own realm/effort being treated in this way.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 13, 2018, 03:12:50 AM »
Yeah...talk about negative vibes.

From people who aren't even in Astrum and don't even know what's going on in Astrum.

I'd appreciate it if players wouldn't try to sabotage other players like this.

I'd also request an admin come through and cull the obvious haters from this thread so people reading it won't be scared away by those with obvious bias.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:24:51 AM by Medron Pryde »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 13, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »
If we did that there would be no recruitment threads left, bias is not only negative. Otherwise I would be left believing that every realm that has a recruitment thread is the best realm in the game. In my opinion they have been clear about the fact they previously played in Astrum and gave time lines for when they left. Posting once provides differing opinions which many might find helpful in the decision making process. Continuing it past a single statement of opinion of someone game experience though is derailing the thread from its purpose.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: December 14, 2018, 05:32:50 PM »
Yes, and I think some of them have done so more than once in order to do precisely that...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: December 16, 2018, 10:46:26 PM »
You engaged them, what do you expect. Had you just left their original posts alone and continued on your way I doubt they would have continued to respond. When you seek to argue against someone, it is only natural that they respond.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: December 17, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »
Indeed. Though some etiquette about not going to gratuitously bash realms in their threads would be fine, often newbs are lured by completely distorted accounts of how "great" a realm is.

In my experience, claims of greatness to come are usually unfounded, and leave people underwhelmed and disappointed. "Success begets further success." Wishing greatness isn't enough to make it happen. Looking at what a realm did in its last few months is typically a pretty good indicator of what it might do in the months to come. "Change" is a nice slogan, just like in RL politics it sells, but just like in RL... "meet the new boss, same as the old boss", sometimes we really just change in order to stay the same.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Alex333

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: December 18, 2018, 08:10:24 PM »
Sorry to say this but nobody in Astrum really liked Antigone. That's probably why Nosferatus had a bad experience. You are correct that it's been a while since Astrum did some looting but we would like to do more.

Medron didn't create this post so that everyone could point out the flaws of the past. He made this post to point out what's happening now. Nobody has to come back but maybe those new to Astrum would be curious enough to try it and form their own opinions.

I can think of a couple global events over the years that never happen because other events superseded them, most notably a war between Astrum and Arnor. The week it was going to happen was the week of the second monster invasion and that discouraged a couple players enough to leave the game because they worked so hard for that war.

Here's something Astrum has over all the other realms: The time I was ruler, Astrum was in more wars than any other realm during that whole time (7 or 8 ), and we won all of them (Thanks for the couple wins Zakky;)). The wars against Morek, Avernus, Luria Boreal, Westfold, Sol, and Swordfell had a lot of participation and blew up the Sanguis Astroism message channels. Wars in other realms don't happen as frequently.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: December 20, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »
And we are rolling into what looks like another war now that the rogues have mostly gone away.

Now that individual realms are no longer fighting for survival, we're fighting for dominance again.

And it looks like things are rolling towards creating a new Theocracy of the Faith.  We recently liberated Holy Caiyun (location of the first temple of Sanguis Astroism) from the rogues, have rebuilt the temple, given the region to an elder of Sanguis Astroism, and are looking at ways to form a new realm out of it.  Of course it's a townsland and towns can't form realms.  So we need to find another city to help it.

Which means we need either volunteers or voluntolds.

Who wants to join Astrum with the idea of forming a new Theocracy of the Faith through acquiring a new voluntold city for the task?

;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: December 20, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
I totally get the RP appeal of reclaiming Caiyun...

But... really? Really? A new realm?

Realistically, the only way that's going to happen, with the current mechanics, is with a realm out of Donghaiwei... and since I'm assuming you aren't going to give the region to HD...??? Your best case scenario is that you crush HD, and place your own realm there... In other words, you kill a tiny miserable realm, in order to place your own tiny miserable realm. Meanwhile, Astrum loses so many nobles, that you fall under your density cap... so you... give Eidulb AND Libidizedd to Westgard...?

It's all so... ridiculous... Dwi needs less realms, not more.

Alex333

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: December 20, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
Chenier,

That's one reason why were are looking to recruit because we are stuck at our noble cap.

Astrum didn't want Caiyun, taking it was just in response that Morek didn't want it. We are extremely loyal to SA, obviously more so than any other realm.

And Donghaiwei isn't necessarily the only option. ;)
I find your lack of faith disturbing.