Author Topic: Shameless Astrum Recruitment Thread  (Read 18666 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Shameless Astrum Recruitment Thread
« Reply #30: December 20, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
Caiyun is:
3 regions from Donghaiwei
5 regions from Nifelhold
5 regions from Muspelheim
4 regions from Aegir
5 regions from Freke
5 regions from Mimer
4 regions from Uterstrom
5 regions from Balance's Retreat
6 regions from Flowrestown

All regions, except for HD, have at least 1 non-owned region between themselves and the region.

For Astrum, that's 2 rogue regions to reconnect it, but it also already has 2 core regions that are rogue (Moses End and Libiddo). Morek has Nidhoog's Mark that it might reconsider taking. Arnor has Stratford. Sol, assuming it's displaced... you'd need a minimum of 8 colonists just to have the density required to expand all the way to Caiyun. And then you'd have a linear realm that would likely get wrecked by rogues.

Yes, it is feasible for a number of realms to take over Caiyun. But, in my opinion, the only way to hope to actually keep the region, instead of losing it to rogues again and again all the time, would be from Donghaiwei, with at least 12 nobles.

Where will you get those 12 nobles, though? All of the north-eastern realms are already fairly stretched, maybe Arnor could migrate but I doubt that's the plan. Thus, any expansion towards a realm that will have a fair chance of actually keeping Caiyun will require sacrificing lands somewhere else. Is Morek going to give Muspelheim to Arnor or Avernus? Is Astrum going to give Eidulb and Libidizedd to Westgard?

Again, I can appreciate the RP drive to get that region. But mechanically speaking, you can't have it all. There are monsters, density mechanics, and diplomacy at play. Either this new realm will be a miserable tiny realm like HD, that we really shouldn't be striving to multiply, or it will suck the life out of one or many existing realms.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Alex333

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: December 20, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
Right.

Which is a reason why we are recruiting.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Alex333

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: December 20, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »
Something tells me people have a problem with Astrum recruiting and it's giving a bad vibe. The point of this whole thread is to recruit to fix these issues.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: December 20, 2018, 04:52:33 PM »
The point of this whole thread is to recruit to fix these issues.

Which is a great thing. Realms need to be able to change and reinvent themselves. The point of the various recruitment threads on the forum should be for people to point out what they think is good about their realms, but also to be able to say how they think they could improve things. Some realms have a good vibe going that helps them to keep their players amused and entertained. For others, an injection of fresh blood or ideas can create new life in a stale realm. I should point out that I don't know whether Astrum is a stale realm or a lively one, but there's always room for improvement either way.

People being honest about the failings in their own realms, how they'd like to improve things, and trying recruit other players to help them make their realms lively isn't a bad thing. People should channel more positivity when players try to do that rather than the negative comments that I see in a few recruitment threads. People trying to make their realm as entertaining as possible is good for the game and those who try to do that need to be supported and encouraged.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:22:47 PM by Foxglove »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: December 20, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »
Something tells me people have a problem with Astrum recruiting and it's giving a bad vibe. The point of this whole thread is to recruit to fix these issues.

No, not at all. By all means, Astrum could use more nobles.

But you aren't recruiting for Astrum anymore, you are recruiting for a colony. And I don't care who would be making this colony, I'd say the same thing: it's a very, very, very bad idea. I hear there's also another colony project, by other people. I also think THAT's a bad idea. And there's Tol Goldora, and I also think THAT was a bad idea.

I mean, sure, this forum might allow you to recruit an odd noble or two that doesn't already play on Dwilight... but odds are, almost 100% of the nobles that are going to form these colonies already exists on Dwilight. Thus, you are going to be draining realms to make it happen.

Which would be fine, if the continent was flooded with large towering realms. But it isn't. There's not a single realm on Dwilight that could lose a noble and go "meh, we had too many anyways". You are free to try a colony, but I'm almost 100% certain that it will backfire on you.

I mean, as a rule of thumb, I'd say every realm should have 3 nobles per city and 2 nobles per non-city. Add in some unclaimed regions that would kinda be advisable to take, that would mean that Astrum should have like 30 nobles, minimum. 30-35 would be a good number, really. But you have half that, and aiming to cut it further via a colony.

I get the RP importance of Caiyun, it's the first temple, it's holy, and all that. Makes perfect sense for your characters to strive for it. But I'm telling you, if you send nobles that way to make a new realm, a few months down the road, you'll regret having done so.

I don't think any realm with less than 20 regions and 50 nobles should really consider a split. New realms create a rush in activity, and then, in almost every case, the sum of the parts will be way, way, way lesser than the original whole.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: December 20, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
Also, yea, I'll add that, as you said, Astrum has a fairly good track record. Regarding achievements, it's certainly at the top or near the top of the list. It didn't do too much in recent history, but going back a little, there's a fair amount there. Most realms, you can go back to ancient history, and still not find anything worth mention.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: December 20, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »
I fully agree that at our current noble count and size, Astrum cannot support creating a new realm without falling below a minimum operating capacity.

Which means there's a very good chance it won't happen.

But it definitely won't happen if we don't try.

So I figure we might as well consider it and push towards it and see what happens.

If nothing else, it's good RP.  Just like retaking Caiyun was.

And the thing I love about retaking Caiyun, is it brought Astrum and Arnor troops together to fight the rogues out in that area.
It forced us to cooperate out there, a point that I am heartily approving of for many reasons.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: December 20, 2018, 07:02:59 PM »
I think the problem of Astrum wanting to create a new realm is it wants to create only theocracies. SA isn't popular anymore. It is not that it isn't interesting. The problem is people just aren't interested in religions in general. How many religions actually are attracting people at the moment? Maybe disallowing people to stay pagan might solve the issue but until then I don't see people being interested in joining Astrum for the sole purpose of forming another theocracy.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: December 20, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »
SA has become unpopular due to actions it has taken in the past.

There is a reform movement at the moment from within the church that is making some progress.

And there are other efforts afoot as well.

Now if there is not enough interest to form another theocracy, then it probably won't happen.  If there is, and if people choose to work to do it, then it may very well happen.  There is interest at the time.  The only question is whether or not there is ENOUGH interest.

That we will learn in time I think.  :)

In the meantime, it will be one of many things I will play with from an IC pov to have something interesting to do in the game.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: December 29, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »
WAR has come!

Astrum Wants You!

Join our crusade to protect Humanity!

Drive the reckless Easterners out of The West!

They have roused the Daimons from their long slumber!

Now drive them from The West before they annoy the Daimons into full wakefullness!

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: February 07, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »
Ah...another victorious campaign against the vile Lurian Empire has been waged!

We have fought beside our brothers from Arnor and Avernus!

We have vanquished rogue destroyers once and THRICE we have driven the armies of the Lurian Empire from the field!

This is a GLORIOUS victory that we have achieved.

Do you want glory in battle?  Come to Astrum and gain it as we stretch forth our hand and grasp it!

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: May 17, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
I have added a short description to Astrum for new players to read that I think fairly encapsulates the idea of Astrum.

"Theocratic, martial realm, dedicated to protecting Sanguis Astroism"

:)