Author Topic: Longer shelf life of scribe notes  (Read 3826 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Longer shelf life of scribe notes
« Topic Start: January 16, 2019, 02:55:05 PM »
It would be nice if scout reports and battle reports lived longer. Battle reports are already saved in the message log for a month, it'd be nice for them to last in the scribe notes for the same time.

Scout reports, and other scribe notes, tend not to live very long at all. Not sure if that's a DB memory issue (I think memory is cheap and that they don't use up all that much data?), or what? Would be nice to have them longer too.

The only issue I'd see would be clogging up the new scribe sharing mechanism, I guess, but that one could have a stricter cut-off.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Longer shelf life of scribe notes
« Reply #1: January 16, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »
How useful is it really to have a scout report of a region that's a week old?

By that point, any troops in the region are likely to have moved on.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 16, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »
How useful is it really to have a scout report of a region that's a week old?

By that point, any troops in the region are likely to have moved on.

Depends on the context and for whom.

I more or less regularly look up old reports for insights. "How many troops does X have? Well, Y fought then 20 days ago, and they brought Z troops then..." Cross-checking old reports with various fresher info allows a lot of extrapolation.

Like, right now, I'd REALLY like to look at those battle reports for Unterstrom (12 days ago for the first one). There's a few things I want to check, but can't, because I didn't think of looking at them in time. So instead I have to ask some of the players there to copy-paste it into pastebin or an xls file to send it to me out of game (which I'm not really expecting any of them to do, tbh).

Also it's nice to save some battle reports for posterity, but usually the battles occur in intense moments, when you don't really have time/attention to bother archiving, and by the time you do, they are gone.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 17, 2019, 04:52:43 AM »
Instead of longer life for scrible notes, can we have battle notes to last longer? I think they are worth keeping around longer.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 17, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »
Instead of longer life for scrible notes, can we have battle notes to last longer? I think they are worth keeping around longer.

I don't understand the distinction? Battle Reports are one form of scribe notes?

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 24, 2019, 08:42:31 AM »
Another thing that is nice about scribe reports is that they tell us what stuff is in a region.

Not just troops, but recruiting stations, temples, and lots of other interesting things.

There are many reasons to want to look at them.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 24, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
Yea, RCs, other buildings, walls, militia, faiths, and a bunch of other data are fairly static.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 24, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
If they are important should not your character (ie you) be takinig manual actions to preserve them. Otherwise it is just like RL, if you don't file away important stuff you lose it.

Also it's nice to save some battle reports for posterity, but usually the battles occur in intense moments, when you don't really have time/attention to bother archiving, and by the time you do, they are gone.

The ability to manually archive reports is something I can support, much better then having a folder of copy/pasted notes and reports.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 25, 2019, 01:13:24 AM »
If they are important should not your character (ie you) be takinig manual actions to preserve them. Otherwise it is just like RL, if you don't file away important stuff you lose it.

The ability to manually archive reports is something I can support, much better then having a folder of copy/pasted notes and reports.

Sure, but people usually archive stuff in their downtime. Emails, reports, receipts, whatever, nothing IRL really lasts as little time as BM scout reports do. As it is, one can't even wait to do it on weekends, most reports will be deleted already by then.