Author Topic: The State of Beluaterra: Time for an Invasion?  (Read 5685 times)

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The State of Beluaterra: Time for an Invasion?
« Topic Start: December 26, 2018, 01:43:34 AM »
Thanks for the insightful presentation of possibilities to help meet the density concerns for BattleMaster.
It is a tough subject to discuss as most players don't like to be forced into, nor made to choose from, options that they do not like, even though it could, theoretically, lead to a better gaming experience for everyone involved.  Players just don't want to give up that which they have worked for (history, realms, connections, RP's, story lines,...). 
Many of these things have been years in the making for some players. 

Sadly, the current maps are too big and the players, too few. 
How do we force players into a smaller map without loosing more players or disrupting their fun?

I believe that it is time for Humanity to invade the Daimon's realm.
So, where do the Daimons come from and what does their world look like?
I picture their realm to look like BT, but in a much reduced size. 
(Devs can decide which regions exist in the Daimon realm.  Maybe even start with the "original full map" when deciding which regions are to exist in the Daimon realm?)
That's why they keep trying to invade BT, for more space to give them room to expand. 

So, how could we go about this?
Firstly, the next invasion of BT would begin.
The Daimons have finally found a way to open 3-5 stable portals (I suggest mountain regions throughout BT, as most realms have mountains near them) which will allow travel to the opposite world (once a daimon or noble passes through, they can not return to their homelands). 

As each noble passes through one of these portals, they automatically become part of a new, temporary realm, called HUMANITY.
HUMANITY could then work together to clear the Daimon realm of any Daimon's that did not join the invasion forces to BT, while those Daimons that did make it to BT will be unable to return home to reinforce their brethren that remain in the Daimon realm.

HUMANITY will obviously need a foot-hold in the Daimon realm where they can recruit, repair, replace their loss of troops.
Maybe there is a Daimon sympathetic to the cause of HUMANITY that would offer their "city" as a refuge to start from.
Maybe a Human that got "sucked into" the Daimon realm years ago has managed to secure a secluded location for HUMANITY to start their invasion of the Daimons.

The possibilities are endless.  The goal is to reduce the size of the map of BT, to be suitable for the current density of nobles.
This could work with the established history of BT, while reducing the current map size and increasing density.
The realm of HUMANITY would need to work together initially, but would certainly fracture into smaller groups (realms) as the Daimons are defeated. 
Essentially the entire continent will be migrated to a smaller version of the continent.
The realm of HUMANITY will be democratic with monthly elections (can not be adjusted by players).
Once the Daimons are dealt with and HUMANITY has entrenched itself into the "new" world, new realms will start to emerge allowing for players to choose their gov't systems, etc.   

Advantages that I can see:
History of BT continues (big step forward in the story line that already exists).
No "one group" of players will suffer for the enjoyment of everyone (as happens with blights, glaciers, sinking...).
RP possibilities are endless.
Density can be set to meet the needs of the current player base.
Realms may be lost, but religions/guilds/etc. can be brought along by the players.
Lots of political maneuvering possibilities for council positions and lordships.
WE would finally get to take the fight to the Daimons.

A couple of disadvantages I see:
Obviously, not everyone would like the idea.
Tax income for the initial stages of the move would be difficult.