Author Topic: Imperial/Hinterland Regions  (Read 5335 times)

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial/Hinterland Regions
« Topic Start: January 11, 2019, 07:38:42 AM »
And just as we must remember that fun is the final goal, and not war, so must we do so with density. Density was historically correlated with fun. But that correlation weakens considerably once we enter forced density. Which is really forced partial density, since the underlying problem it seeks to address is that "everyone having a title tends to make realms passive", while only considering what is increasingly a smaller and smaller share of titles available. Bara'Khur, for example, is among the densest realms in the game. Possibly the densest realm in the game, with 3 nobles per region. Is the goal to make the whole game a bunch of Bara'Khurs? Because we've got 7 titles to share around those 3 folks, not to mention lesser titles like religious ranks or ambassadorship. That's over 3 titles per noble on average.

Compare with the most hollow realm I can think of, where there are regions without lords: Nivemus. They've got 19 regions for 15 nobles in 4 duchies. That's 29 titles. That's less than 2 titles per noble, or 66% of the title density BK has.

I've always agreed that realms with more nobles than regions was a problem, but I can't agree with solutions that put a huge block on wars.

Throw in the forced density limit for normal regions once hinterlands is finished and Nivemus will drop way down in titles. With the current limit, 1.7, they will be able to have 8 region lords. I assume duchies are only going to be possible with normal regions so that will drop. Since the regions will cut in half we'll go with cutting the duchies in half too for sake of argument. That is 10 titles plus the standard 6 titles (4 council and 2 military per army). That is 16 titles for the 15 nobles. Still not great but getting better. Now let's say the density limit is increased from this 1.7 mark, which is the plan. The plan I assume is to get the density limit to 3. This is where the warning first comes in so that is why I'm assuming the future limit will be three. That means the number of region titles will drop down from 8 to 5. That means a total of 13 titles (if they keep two duchies) for the 15 nobles. That leaves at least two people without a title. The only way they will get a title is to compete for it internally.

As for BK, density is not the only factor in the game, it is just one of them. BK doesn't have a density problem, they have a lack of nobles problem. You can say the same thing for many realms but BK is one of the worse realms in regards to noble count.

The only way I see the density limit working is either "sinking" a large portion of the islands in order to decrease the number of regions or hinterlands which lets realms take more regions but not have more titles. Since the former isn't happening all we can do is wait for the latter. I'm going to assume the justification for not removing the density limit until hinterlands is because it will be a step backwards. I doubt people would be happy to be able to increase in size just to be forced back down yet again. If not forced to lose the regions then forced to lose lordships. There will certainly be players that aren't happy with that. The alternative is grandfathering in the normal regions that have a lord. This would then lead back into the removal of the limit as a step backwards. Realms that currently meet the limit would be allowed to expand beyond the limit and those that are already bad would possibly get even worse. The point of density further decreasing also ties into the severity of any force used.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:40:42 AM by Abstract Logic »