Author Topic: Best kept secret in BM?  (Read 20022 times)

Noble family

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Best kept secret in BM?
« Topic Start: March 03, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Yep, it is the colonies.  Been nothing but fun and intrigue for many years now!

egamma

Re: Best kept secret in BM?
« Reply #1: March 03, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
Quite true--there has been a war on the continent since 2007, so it's not a place to sit idly by.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 03, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »
Yeah, but with one turn per day, that's like any other realm having a war running since 2009.  :P
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 05, 2011, 04:00:21 AM »
Zing!

egamma

« Reply #4: March 05, 2011, 05:02:40 AM »
Do any of the other continents have a war running since 2009? I know that Atamara and Dwilight don't.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 05, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
Fontan/SOA vs Sirion has been running for a LONG time, not quite sure if from 2009
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 06, 2011, 02:23:32 AM »
I love the colonies.

Yes, it's slow but that just makes it a bit more realistic IMHO*

There are two types of characters/players in the colonies..
1) The patient, intelligent and reserved who play the game like a 18th century game of chess by mail between kings.
2) The reprobates, troublemakers, assasins, rebels, misfits, duellists and schemers sent to the colonies as punishment.

This demographic often leads to trouble and fun.

* there is no such thing as an HO.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 06, 2011, 06:38:30 AM »
Do any of the other continents have a war running since 2009? I know that Atamara and Dwilight don't.

Beluaterra? The invasions are total cockblocks for that, but the wars never take all that long to resume after the rebuilding starts. And it's not as if you sit idle during most parts of the invasions.

As for the Colonies, I really tried. I really, really did. Though half the turn change with travel times twice as long really were a turnoff, I just found the rest of it all, the wars and the RP, to be rather overrated.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #8: March 06, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
The colonies aren't designated a heavy RP area. If that's what you want, then you really, REALLY, need to go to Outer Tilog. I love to hate them, my character plots to destroy them, and yet as a player, I would hate to see them go.

And you're right about the wars--it's not like there's a battle every week. Once a month is more like it, if you're lucky.

The main problem in the Colonies is that the Lukon-Oriolton alliance ensures that whatever side of a war those two powerful realms are on, is the winning side of the war. If they would attack each other...the world would become a much more interesting place.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 06, 2011, 07:25:46 PM »
The colonies aren't designated a heavy RP area. If that's what you want, then you really, REALLY, need to go to Outer Tilog. I love to hate them, my character plots to destroy them, and yet as a player, I would hate to see them go.

I stand by what I said. Indeed, I'd even add that Outer Tilog is the most overrated realm of the game.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 06, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »
Fontan/SOA vs Sirion has been running for a LONG time, not quite sure if from 2009

The war started around autumn 2007, and it's still ongoing.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 07, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »
I stand by what I said. Indeed, I'd even add that Outer Tilog is the most overrated realm of the game.

Dominic is right. Outer Tilog is not really an RP realm... just a place to joke around. If I were planning to join a seriously evil realm, I would want much deeper RP than what goes in Outer Tilog. I do apologize to any OT player I may have offended, but it is just a bit of fun. Not what I'd call an RP hotspot.

Which by the way I am planning to create an evil realm on Dwilight, a truly repressed realm.... yum..  ;)
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 07, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
The Colonies were immense in 05/06. Back when all of BattleMaster was more of a wellspring of RP and activity. I really enjoyed all the skulduggery of Giblot and watching Anomalous confound all Alowca's enemies. Colonies was my favourite continent for a long time, despite the single turns. Not sure it's the same atmosphere now, but I'm hardly a wellspring of RP and activity myself these days so who am I to judge? >.<

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 07, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Dominic is right. Outer Tilog is not really an RP realm... just a place to joke around. If I were planning to join a seriously evil realm, I would want much deeper RP than what goes in Outer Tilog. I do apologize to any OT player I may have offended, but it is just a bit of fun. Not what I'd call an RP hotspot.

Which by the way I am planning to create an evil realm on Dwilight, a truly repressed realm.... yum..  ;)

Precisely. They do "evil" things for the laughs... In a way akin to trolls on the internet do things for the "lulz". I have no doubt at all it used to be glorious, in the early days, but my multiple experiences with it revealed to me a rather stale realm where nobody takes anything seriously, and where every "RP" is nothing but a series of absurdities.

Personally, that's the result I've seen in everyone professing themselves to be "evil". Though I personally find the concept of "good" and "evil" to be rather silly, evil just won't consider itself evil. Evil is the marginal. They are the ones who consider themselves to be pure, and everyone else is be inferior to them and that it is therefore alright to do whatever they want to them. The only kind of evil people who can work together are those with strong (if twisted) codes of ethics and morals, allowing them to bind themselves together in order to complete common aspirations. The result is then basically like every other realm.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 07, 2011, 05:40:01 PM »
Colonies are wonderful...  A completely different concept then the other islands.  The long travel times and slow turns just mean you have to adjust your play style and thinking from what you may do in other realms.

And while the RP may not be very heavy, I feel that the character development can be very strong.  I have had characters from the colonies that have gone on to do big things on other islands while staying true to how they were developed.

Great place