Author Topic: Dwilight Anthropology Project  (Read 40492 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Anthropology Project
« Reply #75: July 27, 2011, 04:11:59 AM »
Mariners sounds good to me.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: July 27, 2011, 04:41:48 AM »
Funny that Mariners was also used by a sub-culture in the Everguardian lore. Oh well..
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: July 27, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »
Ethnically-speaking, Terran is mostly Pirate, with lesser Colonist influence.  :P

Will try to find another term as Pirate, though not that crass. If anyone gets an idea, it would be quite appreciated.

Privateer :) Or maybe Corsair.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: July 27, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
Wouldn't those names have the exact same problem as Pirate?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: July 27, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »
Privateers are officially chartered by the crown. They are not pirates. There's a world of difference. Privateers were often funded by businessmen looking to turn a profit. That's really the point of privateers, to get someone other than the crown to pay for it.

Now to the people on the other side of the conflict, there's really not much difference between privateers and pirates. Except that privateers are probably better funded and better equipped, so more dangerous. But still, they do the same thing.

I think that Corsair is just the French version of privateers. But it may be a more accurate term. According to my quick check of Wikipedia privateer is a more modern term, started somewhere around the 1600s, while corsair is much older. Or maybe I'm just reading something into it that isn't there.

Anyway, "pirate" is the completely wrong term. Pirates are outlaws, subject to being hung by whoever catches them. If you're a realm, and your realm engages in a certain practice, it's not illegal in your realm. So you can't be a pirate, because piracy is an illegal act. From your own point of view, it's commerce raiding, privateering, or legitimate warfare. It may be semantics, but it an important distinction.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: July 27, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
For nobles whose familys started in Dwilight (IE first toon is there) would they be considered natives or?...

My family RP up to now has been ship wreck generations ago basically... Long enough to be considered a native by natives in Ciarin Tut but with obvious colonial connections. So Mr Sacha, would I be a Colonists or would I be a Native? :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #81: July 27, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
I don't think there are any true natives that are player characters. When Dwilight first opened, it was populated, at least by the players, through emigration (I think, and I believe only a select few were at first invited to move there). Afterwards, the families that started on Dwilight may be either a new family of colonists that formed, or the most recent branch of an old noble family that came elsewhere.

Think of it like this: You are living in the 17th century. You and your ancestors who bear your name have always lived in America. But you are of British descent. You are not from any Native American group. Get the picture? (Not nobles here, but whatever it works as an example of how a family established on a new continent can both claim its origins at the location but not be ethnically native to the region.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:47:17 PM by Artemesia »

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: July 27, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
Indirik, I am not saying they are Pirates or anything else. I am asking for a way these peoples are called. In the same way the Easterners are the people from the East, the Dwili are the people from Dwilight, and the Lurians are the people from the Lurias.

Seamen perhaps? If not, Privateers, though it sounds like an odd name for an ethnicity/culture. Any Madineans or Fissoans to bring forward a name they'd like to bear?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #83: July 27, 2011, 10:19:25 PM »
S-s-seamen?!

Good gosh, are you looking for a reason to have vulgarity reports and SMA complaints sprout from misunderstandings and/or immature players/characters using such a name in adolescent ways?

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: July 28, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
Glaumring is native born Dwilli, he was born in Raviel. The rest of my characters were made after him. So that makes him a non-immigrant!
We live lives in beautiful lies...

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: July 28, 2011, 02:42:48 AM »
Why can't Seamen get deep into your territory to fertilize it, so you can grow the future of your nation?  :P

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: July 28, 2011, 03:49:30 AM »
You can call'em whatever you want for your project... but you better include, "AKA 'Pirates' ". Because, in Terran, we call'em pirates. And will continue to do so until proper reparations are made for their many villainies.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: July 28, 2011, 03:57:51 AM »
I bet 99% of them have not sailed longer than the gap between Tower Fatmilak and Candiels for the last few years. I refuse they be called anything in relation to the seas. They just live on their island and never leave it anymore. They should just be called the insulars. Or insulari, or the like. Fits 'em well.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sabrier

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: July 28, 2011, 04:34:37 AM »
Buccaneers would likely suit you, it cover their alleged villainy and their landlubberliness.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: July 28, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »
Will take a note on that. It would be interesting to know their own preferred denomination, though.