Author Topic: Make Peace Temporary  (Read 2850 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Make Peace Temporary
« Topic Start: January 25, 2019, 01:59:03 AM »
Title: Make Peace Temporary

Summary: Make the diplomatic status 'peace' to be temporary.

Details: After 1~3 months, change peace to neutral.

Benefits: To keep more realms to stay neutral and hopefully make people stay less peaceful from one another.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: Might be annoying for those who wish to stay at peace with their neighbours for long.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Make Peace Temporary
« Reply #1: January 25, 2019, 05:51:27 AM »
That seems a bit pointless. I get the idea of maybe making people think about their diplomatic status, but defaulting it back to neutral occasionally isn't going to make anyone just decide to declare war. People create wars, not a diplomatic default.

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 25, 2019, 10:19:03 AM »
It could be an interesting feature if combined with treaties. Make it so that all diplomatic relations, excluding war/hatred, require the signing of a treaty and the treaty has a set amount of time until expiration. To pick an arbitrary number out of thin air, a 6 month limit. When a treaty is being signed the choices will be something like, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks, etc to 24 weeks.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 25, 2019, 02:05:33 PM »
It could be an interesting feature if combined with treaties. Make it so that all diplomatic relations, excluding war/hatred, require the signing of a treaty and the treaty has a set amount of time until expiration. To pick an arbitrary number out of thin air, a 6 month limit. When a treaty is being signed the choices will be something like, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks, etc to 24 weeks.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea in general, I'm getting rather annoyed with how the game is increasingly trying to force people to play a certain way (what's the next step, handing players a script to play out?).

But this variation of the idea feels like it has the most potential, to me. Especially if you include an "indefinite" option. Right now, a lot of realms are chicken !@#$, and barely anyone dares to throw the first stone and start a war. If their previous peace agreements had been automatically terminated by the game, it could make the next steps much easier in some cases. For example, if two realms agreed to "end their war for the next 4 months", well there'd be a whole lot of pressure against them resuming their war at the end of that, but if the game automatically brought them back to war... that could be a whole other story.

Of course, the main problem is just player laziness in wanting the moral high ground and dogpiling whoever dares to break out of the mold, but that's harder to fix.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #4: January 25, 2019, 08:43:35 PM »
A lot of 4x games have a function that is basically similar to this where diplomatic relations decay over time, forcing players to pay attention or ignore at their own risk. I rather like the idea of a more dynamic diplomatic system. It sure would inhibit the tendency of alliance webs choking off all the fun.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 25, 2019, 09:07:33 PM »
This is basically what the Treaty System was intended to be.

One of the major reasons the Treaty System was scrapped before it ever went fully live is that all it really does on this front is make what people want to do mildly frustrating.

If people want to maintain a permanent alliance—and they do—this just adds extra busywork to that.

if they want to remain neutral/at peace with another realm permanently, this just adds extra busywork to that.

For the most part, diplomatic statuses in the game aren't prescriptive, they're descriptive. The players feel a certain way towards the other realms, and the diplomatic status is their in-game way of representing that. Nothing we do to change the mechanics of the diplomatic statuses will significantly change how the players feel about the other realm.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 25, 2019, 10:00:10 PM »
Right now, a lot of realms are chicken !@#$, and barely anyone dares to throw the first stone and start a war.
Reminded of Tom threatening lightning bolts against EC rulers who didn't go to war after the continent got stuck in Peace after the Great War ended...

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 26, 2019, 12:03:51 AM »
I was originally going to suggest something like being able to declare war from any status at the cost of massive honour and prestige points (for not honouring treaties) then thought making peace temporary would do the same.

Hearing Anaris' explanation on diplomatic statues being descriptive makes a lot of sense. Not sure my original suggestion would have done much.