Author Topic: Brainstorming: Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns  (Read 5430 times)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
Brainstorming: Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns
« Topic Start: February 14, 2019, 03:44:13 AM »
Title: Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns

Summary: Have a proper means to add callsigns, nicknames, monikers, or whatever you want to call them to character names.

Details: This would add a method by which a player can customize the nickname or 'callsign' of their character, having it appear in single quotes between the character and family names.

Benefits: People can add some more flavor to their name, letting them express themselves more.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: People can add some flavor to their name, not necessarily what others call them. It'd also take some coding work, though looking at how names are generated, I don't think it'd be *too* bad. It may allow non-SMA things in SMA environs, not that that can't be fixed with an SMA complaint to the titans. It'd be fairly simple to lock this behind a character lifespan requirement or an honor/prestige requirement or something too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:02:46 PM by Vita »
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns
« Reply #1: February 14, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »
Eh, nicknames and such aren't self given, and to allow anyone to give themselves whatever they please would serve to cheapen it. How many "the Greats" or what have you, do we want running around?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:03:05 AM by Stabbity »
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 14, 2019, 05:18:58 AM »
Eh, nicknames and such aren't self given, and follow anyone to give themselves whatever they please would serve to cheapen it. How many "the Greats" or what have you, do we want running around?

Agreed, we have this as "known by" with M&F. Very rarely do I see it well used.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 14, 2019, 06:22:02 AM »
This was requested before but was refused. At best, I can think of this being used on only one occasion.

On previous rulers by the current ruler but even then it isn't the best use.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #4: February 15, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
Eh, nicknames and such aren't self given, and follow anyone to give themselves whatever they please would serve to cheapen it. How many "the Greats" or what have you, do we want running around?

I had the same reaction. I'm still kicking it around, but so far I don't see a reasonable way to make this a feature besides making it a power of one our all of the ruling council, jointly. Like a bestowed title that stays with the character even if they leave the realm and would appear, as in the OP, in quotations.

That being said, I'm still waiting on religion and guild titles being recognized in messages outside of said religion or guild, so maybe that one first...
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Cameron (Pavus)

• Marketing
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 15, 2019, 06:56:08 PM »
I'd like Regnal names, at best. For a ruler to take on a different 'name' for as long as he rules, maybe with the choice to keep it after. But anything else, as far as titles go, I think the playerbase aptly decides in recording history!

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 03, 2019, 06:33:31 PM »
That being said, I'm still waiting on religion and guild titles being recognized in messages outside of said religion or guild, so maybe that one first...
Inside has been fixed. Outside I don't think is ever going to happen?

Here's the results of some discord brainstorming on nicknames/epithets:
Between 'character details' and 'give medals' on the links below messages, add a Support/Propose Nickname link. This takes you to a page to propose a nickname for the other character, or to support an existing proposal. There can be multiple nickname proposals for every character in existence. Each character only gets to make one support-vote or proposal per other character. That is, Keplerman can either propose a new nickname for Evilman or support on an existing proposal, not both. Keplerman's support can be changed. When proposing a new nickname, a reason for that nickname must be provided, viewable to other voters. Which proposal a character proposes or supports is not public. There would be an ordered ranking of those with most to least support.

A nickname will be displayed in the format GivenName 'Nickname' Surname. A nickname will not be displayed until a minimum threshold of support is achieved. When there are multiple proposals for character nicknames, the proposal with the most support will be displayed (presuming it has achieved the minimum display threshold). No multiple nicknames, only one nickname displayed at any given point in time. No identical nicknames, only one particular nickname at any given point per island. If Evilman and Naughtyman both have proposals to be 'the Ugly', then only the one who has more support will be allowed to use it. However, if Evilman has more support for 'the Ugly' than Naughtyman, but Evilman has even more support for being 'the Evil' for himself than 'the Ugly', then Naughtyman will be allowed to use 'the Ugly' because its not in active usage. If support for Evilman being 'the Ugly' surpassed support for 'the Evil', that would change. The current working idea for determining support is percentage of total prestige of active characters on the island, with a minimum threshold of 10%? 20%? to activate a nickname.

Characters will have a 'refuse all nicknames' option that will opt out of all nickname displays, if someone doesn't want their character to have any nickname. Either accept the popularly-supported nickname or have no nickname at all.

Nicknames will be subject to some rules to ensure appropriateness for BM (and SMA), as judged by the Titans.

Some potential concerns are dealing with griefers and similar-but-not-identical nicknames, say 'the Great' and 'the Greatest', there should only be one form of such varieties.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 04, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »

Is that even logged as an Approved Feature Request?

If not, you could be waiting for a very long time.
As Vita said, I don't think it's even wanted.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 06, 2019, 03:31:36 AM »
I'd like Regnal names, at best. For a ruler to take on a different 'name' for as long as he rules, maybe with the choice to keep it after. But anything else, as far as titles go, I think the playerbase aptly decides in recording history!

I like this idea... And will make a note of it for multiple things, but I'd do a separate request on this. It'd be nice to get governments to be more than "we vote on these positions".

Vita, I don't think the nickname voting concept would be that hard to implement, for what it's worth. A couple tables at worst, I think. M&F might even have one or two separate things you could rip the logic from for it... Remind me to take a look this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:34:46 AM by Andrew »
Like my programming? Become my patron!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #9: March 07, 2019, 01:04:27 AM »

Inside has been fixed. Outside I don't think is ever going to happen?
*shrugs* I guess its a bit inconsequential now that I've seen the logic behind the nicknames

Between 'character details' and 'give medals' on the links below messages, add a Support/Propose Nickname link. This takes you to a page to propose a nickname for the other character, or to support an existing proposal. There can be multiple nickname proposals for every character in existence. Each character only gets to make one support-vote or proposal per other character. That is, Keplerman can either propose a new nickname for Evilman or support on an existing proposal, not both. Keplerman's support can be changed. When proposing a new nickname, a reason for that nickname must be provided, viewable to other voters. Which proposal a character proposes or supports is not public. There would be an ordered ranking of those with most to least support.A nickname will be displayed in the format GivenName 'Nickname' Surname. A nickname will not be displayed until a minimum threshold of support is achieved. When there are multiple proposals for character nicknames, the proposal with the most support will be displayed (presuming it has achieved the minimum display threshold). No multiple nicknames, only one nickname displayed at any given point in time. No identical nicknames, only one particular nickname at any given point per island. If Evilman and Naughtyman both have proposals to be 'the Ugly', then only the one who has more support will be allowed to use it. However, if Evilman has more support for 'the Ugly' than Naughtyman, but Evilman has even more support for being 'the Evil' for himself than 'the Ugly', then Naughtyman will be allowed to use 'the Ugly' because its not in active usage. If support for Evilman being 'the Ugly' surpassed support for 'the Evil', that would change. The current working idea for determining support is percentage of total prestige of active characters on the island, with a minimum threshold of 10%? 20%? to activate a nickname.Characters will have a 'refuse all nicknames' option that will opt out of all nickname displays, if someone doesn't want their character to have any nickname. Either accept the popularly-supported nickname or have no nickname at all.Nicknames will be subject to some rules to ensure appropriateness for BM (and SMA), as judged by the Titans.Some potential concerns are dealing with griefers and similar-but-not-identical nicknames, say 'the Great' and 'the Greatest', there should only be one form of such varieties.

I like this layout a lot. Seems to plug all the holes.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Tourmaline

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 13, 2019, 08:16:39 PM »
Having a formal system for titles nicknames monikers callsigns would be the best! Hence my proposal.

These should mean things based on game mechanics, not be arbitrary.

If people can give themselves their own nicknames, it will end up with a lot of OOC and wishy washy names that won't add much to the game.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 15, 2019, 11:38:41 AM »
Medron "The Kegsmasher" Pryde.

:)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Bump.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
I agree with Stabbity in the idea that people can't give themselves nicknames. It just shouldn't work that way.

The quote Vita quoted a while back I think is an amazing idea, with the option to propose and support nicknames. And the ability to opt out of having your nickname displayed.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The proposal quoted by Vita sounds appropriate.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)