Author Topic: Against the rules?  (Read 10034 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Against the rules?
« Topic Start: February 17, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
I started a Mercenary Guild.  We move to each realm when we take a contract there.   Contracts are a minimum 3 months extendable to 5 months total.  One of our payments is a lordship in order to build and expand our guildhouse network. 

Is it against the rules to take a lordship I know I am going to abandon in 3-5 months when I go to the next mercenary contract?
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Against the rules?
« Reply #1: February 17, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
holding it for 6 months is okay I think. 3 months might be pushing it. I'd suggest not taking a lordship to begin with. But then again, if you are moving to other realms, not too sure.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 18, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »
Tom was pretty firm years ago about nobles not being mercenaries, full stop.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 18, 2019, 08:38:59 PM »
For real? Why did he let Darka be around then?  ???

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 18, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »
For real? Why did he let Darka be around then?  ???

More or less grandfathered. This was...I forget exactly, but probably in the neighbourhood of 2010, so mercenary-Darka had been around for a long time by then.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 18, 2019, 11:39:58 PM »
Why was Tom against the idea? Did something happen around the time he decided against it?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 19, 2019, 12:30:42 AM »
Basically, that high nobility—which all of our non-adventurer characters are—would not have lowered themselves to such things. Some lesser nobility might have, but not the upper echelons.
Timothy Collett

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 19, 2019, 03:44:00 AM »
Aren't knights pretty much lesser nobility? I wouldn't consider any non-landed noble to be high nobility. Unless you think all playable nobles should be the firstborn... Even sons of some kings ran mercenary companies.

I mean I see how allowing people to make a mercenary guild may lead to people forming a clan which is frowned upon but I don't see any harm in people making another Darka.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:50:53 AM by Zakky »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 19, 2019, 04:26:08 AM »
There's a big difference between running a mercenary company, and being a foot commander in a mercenary company.

Every noble in BattleMaster is considered to be high nobility, the cream of the crop, the people to know.

Look at it this way: The difference between the high nobility—the player characters—and the lesser nobility—part of the faceless masses of NPCs—is that no one would ever even think it possible that an NPC could be elected Ruler. Just as no one would ever think it possible that a lesser noble could be King.
Timothy Collett

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 19, 2019, 06:15:23 AM »
There's a big difference between running a mercenary company, and being a foot commander in a mercenary company.

Every noble in BattleMaster is considered to be high nobility, the cream of the crop, the people to know.

Look at it this way: The difference between the high nobility—the player characters—and the lesser nobility—part of the faceless masses of NPCs—is that no one would ever even think it possible that an NPC could be elected Ruler. Just as no one would ever think it possible that a lesser noble could be King.

That is a good way of putting it.

So if someone tries to recreate Darka, you would be against it these days right?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 19, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
Probably. It might depend upon how it was structured and how it was presented in RP, but in general, yes, I'd be against creating a mercenary realm at present.
Timothy Collett

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 19, 2019, 04:03:21 PM »
Fwiw, darka was never destroyed on atamara, so if we ever had the playerbase to bring back atamara, darka would be back too.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 19, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
So you're saying that not only is it against the rules for temporary lordships it's against the rules to have a Mercenary group?
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 19, 2019, 08:04:26 PM »
Yes.
Timothy Collett

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 19, 2019, 09:05:08 PM »
Wasn't Arcaea a mercenary realm for a while as well?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela