Author Topic: Scout from map  (Read 10333 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Scout from map
« Reply #15: March 04, 2019, 12:21:17 AM »
system resources.

The political map loads quicker and burns less resources to look at.

The other map I think is probably java based and sucks resources on borderline or non-optimized systems like a squirrel on caffeine...

It uses javascript sure, just like 90% of websites these days. As does the political map for doing things like hiding different icons when you want to.

The dynamic map only loads what you want. So when you select new layers it has to poll the server and retrieve that info. In terms of system resources my system is telling me that the dynamic map page is using a whole 20,000k more memory then this forum and 10,000k more then the political map. Enabling every single layer on Dwilight only adds another 20,000k memory footprint. So even on this ten year old laptop I notice no real issue in terms of performance.

For reference the Dynamic Map makes use of https://openlayers.org/ . This is a very mature and reasonably well coded open source library. M&F uses an old version of the library for a world that consists of many many more regions then any Battlemaster map (my realm alone consists of over 200 regions in M&F and it is not the largest realm in the game, which has more then 400 regions within their borders) and that loads okay even on my old pixel phone.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:23:20 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.