Author Topic: Scout from map  (Read 10310 times)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Scout from map
« Reply #15: March 16, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
You don't mean to offensive, and then you go total offensive.

I cut my teeth doing computer programming when both java and javascript were being implemented.

I remember well the introduction of both and what they made it possible to do across the computer landscape.  Mindblowing options across every computer platform that changed computing.

I also know very well how inefficient and insecure both can be when it comes to computer resources and computer security.  Javascript is one of the primary ways of distributing viruses, for example.

Hence why I do not install java on most of the computers in my network, and why I install javascript blockers to keep scripts from running unless I specifically enable them.

I have strong opinions on anything that uses the name java in any way.  Yes, I recognize that they are amazingly powerful, and I recognize that they can do things nothing else can do.  But they are my last resort when it comes to doing things, not my first.  Because I care about the system resources and security of the people who visit my websites.

As for the political map...yeah.  That's exactly the point I've been making.  The political map is an excellent example of a page that uses minimal system resources and gets maximal benefit out of it.  It runs perfectly on any machine built in the last twenty years without any hiccups.

The dynamic map when it first came out worked well on systems that were modern at the time, but brought five or ten year old systems to their knees because they didn't have enough memory or processing power.  Most of those older machines have now been retired, even by computer professionals who know how to keep them working, because computers built in the 20teens are generally superior.  Or because the spare parts to keep the older machines working are getting harder to find.  Take your pick.

The dynamic map no longer bothers my current computer systems like it did when it first came out.  Because I've upgraded over the years and newer machines just don't slog down on it.  But I remember well when it did, and continue to use the political map as my goto resource because it works well and does what I need.