Author Topic: Feature Request Guidelines  (Read 4180 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Feature Request Guidelines
« Topic Start: March 01, 2019, 01:52:15 AM »
Summary:
No more game changes that are only discussed on Discord.

Details:
Discord is not,and SHOULD NOT, be an acceptable place where game change features can go from concept to implementation. As it stands, major game changes can be railroaded through without the knowledge, or input, of the player base. Especially considering the nature of Discord and how swiftly even topics in shared channels can get lost.

Benefits:
See above. This is self-evident. Who thought that was a good idea?

Possible Downsides/Exploits:
None. None at all.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request Guidelines
« Reply #1: March 01, 2019, 02:32:02 AM »
Rejected.

While the forum is absolutely the primary place for feature requests because it is a more static, slow-form channel, if something comes up elsewhere, I'm not going to ignore it. The response varies depending. Some things are simple enough to approve immediately. Others, I do send to the forum for further consideration and feedback. I've even posted on behalf of Discorders for this reason.

Also, I would suspect that there is more participation amongst the community within Discord than on the forum. And those I see on the forum tend to be on Discord anyway.

I'm not opposed to making more effort to bring major changes to forum for feedback, but thats not the same as overly bureaucratic policies like requiring every single item to be discussed on forum before approval.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 01, 2019, 05:02:14 AM »
Maybe a list of approved features that are waiting to be implemented would probably be better than just making feature requests restricted here?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 01, 2019, 05:55:35 AM »
The most authoritative source for that is the feature requests lists of the bugtracker, which is where all approved feature requests should go. But there are still TODO comments and other notes that dont always get added to bugtracker first.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 01, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »
Maybe a list of approved features that are waiting to be implemented would probably be better than just making feature requests restricted here?

http://tinyurl.com/yy2lskl4

That is the link to all Feature Requests on the bugtracker.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #5: March 01, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »

I'm not opposed to making more effort to bring major changes to forum for feedback, but thats not the same as overly bureaucratic policies like requiring every single item to be discussed on forum before approval.

The reason I am so upset is because, overnight, dukes now need FIFTEEN knights in their duchy to seceded. That changes a LOT.

Tweaks are one thing, but changes that with more wide-sweeping consequences for how the game is changed should not  just be dropped on us like it was yesterday. There should have been some sort of announcement somewhere and there was not. It may not have effected everyone like it did me, but it straight up ruined IRL months of planning and effort that, had I know the game mechanics were changing, I wouldnt have wasted all that time and energy on. Usually the roadmap announcements had this covered, yesterday it did not and that's the issue I'd like to see addressed.

For major changes like that, leaving the information buried in the bug tracker is insufficient. Even less players go there than the forums. If you want to use the discord, fine, but post it somewhere that doesn't get 50 new messages in an hour. This is hardly an "overly bureaucratic" request.

"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 01, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
I don't think that would change much. At best you'd learn that this is in the works a couple of weeks earlier.

I for one recall it being common knowledge that there is intent on placing noblecount restriction on realms/new realms. Or it just seemed common knowledge to me.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 02, 2019, 07:52:56 AM »
While it did not affect me, I wasn't aware of this change either.
And I check Discord, Forum and Bugtracker intensively.

I understand the frustration here, but not entirely sure what the best solution here would be.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 03, 2019, 08:06:22 AM »
I do agree that there should be some form of warning somewhere when truly game changing rules are in the works.

And I agree that the bugtracker has never been used for such in the past.

Discordian changes that come out of the blue are...disturbing to say the least...

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 03, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »
The bugtracker has been the authoritative source for feature requests for years.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 03, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
I think maybe Discord is like Slack at work, and that no one who is not there when something is spoken ever knows about it

I think the forum even is optional.

I think if a big change is made to game, a message should be made to game itself. There are so many useless messages, a useful one is an easy thing to make
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:17:47 PM by Ocean Yong Kiran »

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 03, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »
In this case, thanks to the change that just hit with no warning, I had to spend 2,000 gold to keep the capital of a powerful realm from instantly going bankrupt.

The cost of militia went up from 1,800 total to a singe one of ten or so units demanding nearly 1,000 gold.  With several others demanding 500 or more.

And I had to pay a portion of the NEW PUNISHING cost just to release them.  So, 2,000 gold later, the militia of Reeds is 1/3rd the power that it once was and the carefully horded gold held to support nobles in need of funds to rebuild is gone.

This kind of GAME CHANGING change should not come in the dark of night.  It should be warned about.

This kind of change without warning is not cool.  And would have been catastrophic if I did not have gold on hand to fix the problem you created.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 03, 2019, 11:28:24 PM »
This kind of GAME CHANGING change should not come in the dark of night.  It should be warned about.

This kind of change without warning is not cool.  And would have been catastrophic if I did not have gold on hand to fix the problem you created.

Welcome to Battlemaster buddy. Cmon this isn't even the first time happening XD

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 04, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »
That's true.

It isn't the first time.

I didn't like it before, and I don't like it now.