Author Topic: 15 Nobles! 15!!!!  (Read 17607 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Nobles! 15!!!!
« Reply #15: March 07, 2019, 04:13:32 AM »
I remember the "Grand Old Days" back when we could have two characters on a continent when Tara had 30 to 40 people and were rolling from one war to another.  Things were active.  Lots of talking.  It was fun.

Now I'm a member of three different realms hovering around the 20 character number and it really does feel like we have the minimum number to maintain just basic operations.  I honestly don't know how realms with 5 or 10 people even operate.

The answer is not to raise the bar for founding a realm but to make it harder to sustain one with too few nobles. The thing is that's already taken care of. HD just folded and Morek only survived because SA called a crusade.

On the one hand, I'm against taking away player options through arbitrary rules.

On the other hand, I understand the idea behind this rule and what it is trying to achieve.

It may not be the RIGHT way to do it in my opinion, but I don't know WHAT the right way to do it IS.  It sucks for people who were planning to create new realms.  It really does.  But does it suck for the GAME as a whole?

I would say it does it creates more stagnation and limits opportunities for advancement. A new realm opens up new high ranking positions. Theres no other way to allow as many players to advance at once.

Many of these arguments are disingenuous. Colonies rarely rely on players only from 1 realm, or even 1 continent. ToL is a great example of this. People came to Dwilight to see the colony realised. I am not so sold on having a limit or such a high limit on Duchy succession, depending on circumstance they are self limiting anyway, particularly with recent militia changes.

Based on their wiki histories it sounds like most of these colonies had one primary realm backing them:

Everguard (Springdale)
Astrum (Morek)
Shadovar, the precursor to D'hara (Pian en Luries)
Terran (Caerwyn)
Thulsoma (Virovene)
Iashalur (Astrum)
Tol Goldora

The only pre-blight colony effort I can remember that was truly an inter-realm effort was Niselur. Post blight Westguard was specifically crafted for refugees from the sunken continents, it was not a player effort it was a dev made realm.

Even in the case of Tol Goldora three out of the seven founding members were well established in Sol.

Regardless none of these efforts, to my knowledge, were spearheaded by fifteen or more nobles. So the number is still unrealistic whether it's coming from one realm or several.