Author Topic: Rejected: Takeover and civil work cannot be done with new player  (Read 4635 times)

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
Title:
Takeover and civil work cannot be done with new player

Summary:
New players cannot have "help take over" or "do civil work" for 30 days

Details:
These are very boring things in gaem. If new player spends first week of game traveling to region, clicking help takeover, clicking do civil work, probably they get bored and quit.

New player should be only given chance to do fun things for first 30 days. Later they can do all the others.

Benefits:
Old players do not simply use new players as drones.
New players do more active fighting things, stay more engaged

Possible Downsides/Exploits:
?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:00:13 PM by Vita »

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
There aren't anything fun about being a knight except join an ongoing war.

Disabling them from doing both for a month won't change anything but take away stuff to do.

If they are not willing to stick around, this game isn't for them. This is a very slow game. You can't expect to have something exciting happen too quickly.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
This is silly answer.

If you want to make new players stay in game, you sit and think how to make new players have fun. (This you can do for other people, too)

Only, "This game is very boring. If you don't like being bored, go away" means you lose all new players and game dies.

If only fun thing is war then find ways for more war. I think this is why players come.

After, you teach them the other fun things that are slow.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
There were many suggestions to try and make being knights more interesting. But most of them require time to be implemented. For now, the best recommendation is to join a realm that has something going on already.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
Again, this is silly answer.

It is not known "something is going" to the new player.

Of course, I do not what the best way to make this is. But I think remove the boring parts is a good start to discuss.

If part of a game is very boring, why do you have it? Think of a new way to make same result.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Again, this is silly answer.

It is not known "something is going" to the new player.

Of course, I do not what the best way to make this is. But I think remove the boring parts is a good start to discuss.

If part of a game is very boring, why do you have it? Think of a new way to make same result.

It is not a silly answer. There are many suggestions to make the game more interesting, there are many plans, but dev time is limited and realistically they are not going to be implemented in the short term. Given that taking away options, no matter how boring they may be, is also detrimental since it leaves them nothing to do but wait for proposed feature coming "soon".
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
You do not have a plan, so how can you "not have time" for a plan you do not know how long to make?

I think from watching for 2 weeks that new players can make their own fun enough, but older players tell them too much "come here, do this".

If new players cannot do that thing, there is no reason they cannot go explore the map and fight monsters and do things to have fun while they learn

Old players need new players, but I think do not want to be spending time to make it fun for new players

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
You do not have a plan, so how can you "not have time" for a plan you do not know how long to make?

I think from watching for 2 weeks that new players can make their own fun enough, but older players tell them too much "come here, do this".

If new players cannot do that thing, there is no reason they cannot go explore the map and fight monsters and do things to have fun while they learn

Old players need new players, but I think do not want to be spending time to make it fun for new players

Why do you say there is no plan? The Devs definitely do have them.

This is a game of hierarchy, it replicated to some extend an idealised feudal world. Of course in such a setting older players are going to give orders, in general they occupy a higher position in the world and have every right to do so. Explore the map? This is not some D&D game, there is precious little reason to march into another realms territory. There are some exceptions for islands like Dwilight where looting rogue regions is a supplemental income stream but other wise not so much. Fighting monsters? Unless you are an talking the advy game it is generally not something a single unit, particularly a single newbie unit can handle. If monsters are threatening a realm then the realm SHOULD be organising an army or task force to handle it.

Exactly what do you think old time knights like me are doing?

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
I think you are not able to separate the characters from the new players.

The new players do not care. There are too many things to do these days. If the game is boring for first three or four days they not come back.

Then what can old players do?

If this is your game, you must make some changes to game, I think.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

The new players do not care. There are too many things to do these days. If the game is boring for first three or four days they not come back.

You are giving new people too much credit. Most of them quit within the first day. If nobody replies within first couple hours, people just move on.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

Yes, something that has been considered for years and has been worked on, and that continues to be worked on. I am not against feature request in general. I am arguing that at THIS time removing them basically leaves new knights with absolutely nothing to do but collect gold, talk and march to war if a war happens to be occurring.

There are not, as it currently stands, magic fighting things for new knights to do. Nor have I ever seen new players/characters be tasked with administration tasks if war is actually occurring. Knight performing civil work and the like is generally a secondart consideration, something done after a battle or for troops that don't need to participate in a general refit.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
I do not think new players care if they are losing battles, only they are in battles. I think this is easy thing to arrange for code at beginning.

Yes, okay - you know the best.

I know I am the new player type probably you want, but I am bored and probably I leave

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Thus far, you've said what you don't want to do, as a new player.

What do you want to do?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
This is excellent question!

I am about to make new idea, I think is easy to make, maybe good help.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I do not think new players care if they are losing battles, only they are in battles. I think this is easy thing to arrange for code at beginning.

Yes, okay - you know the best.

I know I am the new player type probably you want, but I am bored and probably I leave

Don't know, I definitely cared but I was also new in an era when gold was not so abundant and so replacing my losses was a real concern. That said I joined BoM and spent most of my first few weeks accompanying another player when raiding an neighbour.