Author Topic: Under Debate: First fight for new player!  (Read 5041 times)

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
Under Debate: First fight for new player!
« Topic Start: March 12, 2019, 03:05:02 AM »
Title:
First fight for new player!

Summary:
When new player created, make new monster to fight next turn

Details:
- New player appears
   - if already there is fight, there is monsters, whatever, not needed
   - if no enemy in region,
      - make monsters
      - send message "There are monsters here!Your captain says you have Bad | Good chance for win. Do you run, do you fight? "
          - explain again fight will happen in X hours (normal server)
          - give travel page link in message to help find easier

- maybe send massage "New player going to fight monsters here" so can give advices

Benefits:
Immediately new player will be deciding about battles
Immediately others players have good reason to advice
I think not so much new code for this? So can do easily

Possible Downsides/Exploits:
Maybe problems not mixing in others fights already there?

Of coure this is only one first day,  but maybe keeps new player doing something longer whiles others start to talk them. I think only takes 1-2 hrs for make, so "small easy win"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:07:23 AM by Vita »

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: First fight for new player!
« Reply #1: March 12, 2019, 03:08:12 AM »
Actually, this might not be a bad idea.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 12, 2019, 03:13:08 AM »
This is an interesting idea, but is likely to cause problems when players create an account, create a character, poke around for 5 minutes, and decide the game is not for them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 12, 2019, 03:19:23 AM »
I have long campaigned for a "instanced island" for brand new players. Basically I tutorial area that is created at need for a new player character. Once the tutorial is complete the character then goes through the motions of selection a final Continent/realm to join. It would be a way to have an area under direct code control for tutorial explanations and quests, as well as potentially allowing for time to be speed up in order to get a new player exposed to various concepts fast.

It would however be a lot of work.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 12, 2019, 03:24:33 AM »
This is an interesting idea, but is likely to cause problems when players create an account, create a character, poke around for 5 minutes, and decide the game is not for them.

What are the bad?

If delete account, maybe delete monsters or maybe one more small monster group, who cares?

If no delete account but no play more, character still has battle

This is only small monster to fight new character. I think it will not destroy too much.

When you have 100 new players all the days, probably you can turn off :-)

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 12, 2019, 03:25:35 AM »

Yes, this is big work. You need look for small ideas.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 12, 2019, 03:42:35 AM »
What are the bad?

If delete account, maybe delete monsters or maybe one more small monster group, who cares?

If no delete account but no play more, character still has battle

This is only small monster to fight new character. I think it will not destroy too much.

When you have 100 new players all the days, probably you can turn off :-)

Generally when people leave, they don't delete the account, they just leave it to slowly go inactive.

Tourmaline

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 13, 2019, 08:12:00 PM »
I have long campaigned for a "instanced island" for brand new players. Basically I tutorial area that is created at need for a new player character. Once the tutorial is complete the character then goes through the motions of selection a final Continent/realm to join. It would be a way to have an area under direct code control for tutorial explanations and quests, as well as potentially allowing for time to be speed up in order to get a new player exposed to various concepts fast.

Love this idea. A tutorial island in essence. Give players the choice of either going to the tutorial island first or starting off on the main continents. Have the tutorial island be a very simple war island with nothing but people that want to be mentors and only a handful of regions. Perhaps make it reset every month or something to keep it from ever being anything long term.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 13, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
Love this idea. A tutorial island in essence. Give players the choice of either going to the tutorial island first or starting off on the main continents. Have the tutorial island be a very simple war island with nothing but people that want to be mentors and only a handful of regions. Perhaps make it reset every month or something to keep it from ever being anything long term.

That is a slightly different idea again. Adds flexibility to the experience but doesn't address what I see as a key issue with retaining players, that instant and immediate feedback upon signing in. If someone isn't online and has the time to interact with you when you create a character chances are you aren't going to log in again.

Tourmaline

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 14, 2019, 02:16:08 AM »
Hmm I see what you're saying. Yeah it should help if people get some interaction as soon as they join the game.

This makes me think of having an AI account that interacts with new players. But I'm sure that would take a few resources...

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 15, 2019, 12:01:04 PM »
IF we were to do a kind of Tutorial Island, my suggestion would be to make it SMALL.  Say two cities with four townslands between them and some grasslands around all of that.  Maybe two dozen regions at most.  Have a couple nations that are always at war.  No militia allowed at all, so it is just nobles moving around and getting into fights.  We could do a very brief story post from each realm's perspective so people get in a with a brief roleplay that they can jump into.

And let any player have a free character there, with the understanding that they be interacting and helping new players that ask questions.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 15, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »
IF we were to do a kind of Tutorial Island, my suggestion would be to make it SMALL.  Say two cities with four townslands between them and some grasslands around all of that.  Maybe two dozen regions at most.  Have a couple nations that are always at war.  No militia allowed at all, so it is just nobles moving around and getting into fights.  We could do a very brief story post from each realm's perspective so people get in a with a brief roleplay that they can jump into.

And let any player have a free character there, with the understanding that they be interacting and helping new players that ask questions.

The island should be even smaller.

a) 1 city to make everyone travel there.
b) 1 rural region for the first battle
c) 1 stronghold for people to practice siege

lordship, gov positions can be learned in game once they hold those positions.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 15, 2019, 02:02:27 PM »
We're not having a "newbie island" or "tutorial island". This is a frequently requested, frequently rejected feature.

BattleMaster is a game primarily about interaction with other players. We want new players to be able to interact with veteran players from the very start.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected: First fight for new player!
« Reply #13: March 15, 2019, 08:26:34 PM »
And that is exactly what I suggested.

A place where newbies could speak with veterans and instantly have something to do...an ongoing war with lots of fights.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected: First fight for new player!
« Reply #14: March 15, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »
That's the War Island.
Timothy Collett