Author Topic: Where is the magic? (Why I think game is broken)  (Read 10270 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yes. It's a game. Not reality where you are *actually* putting your life at risk. Players used to take huge risks for the wider story and fun. I'd even say by being so risk-averse and creating a less fun environment over actually doing something as part of a wider story arc, they *are* losing the game.

I think you underestimate the number of people who think otherwise. Many people think they are losing the game by losing their titles. You need to provide people something they should worth risking themselves for. The game has tried to push people toward a certain direction forcefully in the past and it only cost the game players since this is after all a game. You can't force people to take risks. You need to make them want to take more risks.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
The deeper point is you can't win battlemaster in the way one can an rts. Attempting such harms the game. And is playing the wrong game.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
And the even deeper point is BM isn't meant to be won  :P

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
I think now I can see why not much is ever done in this game  ::)

It is suggested to me by someone to try adventurer game before leaving, so I must wait one week and then see. It sounds like maybe what I think will be fun.

The main game has no interest for me

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I think there are also other things you should try if you feel there's something about the game that you like, but you're just not currently getting the experience you hoped.

You mentioned that you like magic at the start of this thread. Well, you could look at Angmar on Beluaterra. That realm is all about magic, and it has nobles and adventurers working closely together. It's been a bit disorganized since it lost its previous ruler, but is trying to get back on course. Of course, in this game, magic means collecting and casting scrolls, as well as prizing unique items. The game as a whole isn't a full on 'hurl a fireball at your enemy' sort of game, but Angmar puts more emphasis on magic than any other realm in the game.

On Dwilight, I'm the ruler of Westgard (which tends to be a very active realm in terms of player interactions - so conversations even for those not in positions of power), and I'd invite you to create a character there and I'll try to find aspects of the game for you to enjoy if you can clearly tell me what you're looking to get out of the game. If, after I've tried to create a role in the game to suit you, you're still not enjoying things, you (and the rest of us) will at least understand that BM just isn't the game for you.

On the other hand, I know that Avernus on Dwilight is a very active and organized military realm and actively seeks out battle. You would definitely get to fight battles there, but probably also have to run or support takeovers (which you seem to hate).

Looking more widely at the game, there are also different character classes that may suit you better. The infiltrator class gives a player much greater freedom to play the game in their own way. If you think that being an assassin and thief could be something that would interest you, that could be a class to try. Although it does take time to train up the skills to become an effective infiltrator.

Looking at the other classes, there's the priest. The priest game is very different to the normal game. It depends a lot on social interaction and communication and is very good for people who like to roleplay. However, it has nothing to do with fighting and battles, and so may not suit you for those reasons. However, there's scope for you to create a new religion almost anywhere in the game (perhaps apart from in the Sanguis Astroism realms on Dwilight).

Finally, remember that you have several different character slots for a reason. You could play one or two characters as warriors to get the war-fighting aspect of the game, then a third character as an infiltrator to get that part of the the game, and a forth character as a priest to try that part of the game (in addition to adventurers). This game has a lot of potential diversity across its playing experience if you choose to seek it out. It also allows you to play several different characters in several different places so that if on place is boring, there's probably something of interest happening in one of the other places where you have a character. The game design itself acknowledges that some areas will be dull at some times, and gives you a way to have another area were something of interest is going on.

Again, assuming there's something about the game that's kept you playing this far when you're not getting satisfaction, think about trying the things I've suggested. But, ultimately, not everyone will enjoy BM. Just as not everyone will enjoy every game.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
Ah!

"the magic" does not mean wizards.

The magic mean "the magical feeling when something is mystical", like when I first time read The Hobbit.

i do not care if game has real magic in it. I want not to feel like I am only checking my morning emails

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Uh... I'd not call that magic. I'd call that charm at most. You are looking to find something that is charming about this game not magical. I think people here misunderstood you due to confusing usage of the word magic.  ;D

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Magic works in the context. It's not the best word to convey the meaning given the presence of actual magic in the game, but it works.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
I am so glad we clear up the good english.

I look at my first post. I see i only say "maps are magic". I never say word about wizards or hocus pocus.

I think these forums are place only where old players go to waste all the time they do not have for making game fun, instead for argue why everything already okay.

If I play, if I not play, I do not. But I waste no more time here

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
I think these forums are place only where old players go to waste all the time they do not have for making game fun, instead for argue why everything already okay.
I don't think you're being very charitable to people's intent here. The forums are one of the community locations for discussing the game, removing yourself from them means your input isn't as available for the game's direction. Its considerably less effort to respond to a post to explain something than it is to complete coding and testing a feature. Sometimes people don't have their dev environments setup in every place from which they can access a forum. I dont think anyone has seriously proposed that everything is already okay and nothing needs to change. Your ideas *are* appreciated, but that doesn't mean every idea is instantly agreed with, approved, or implemented. In BattleMaster, progress takes time. If you'd like to help, we've talked about that before, but again, patience goes a *long* way in BattleMaster - help is in the form of volunteer time.

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The game is what it is.

We have all come to BattleMaster looking for something.

When we get here we can:
Work with what we find available and have fun within the game's existing limits.
Work with others to change the limits that we find, to increase our fun.
Decide that the game is not what we expected and look elsewhere to have fun.

The game is not what I had initially hoped for when I found it almost 10 years ago, but I decided to stick around and enjoy myself within the bounds that the game offered. 
Over the years, I have made suggestions and commented both positively and negatively to other peoples suggestions about making the game better for me and everyone else. 

We are all here for different reasons and if the game is going to work for all of us, we have to consider that not everyone will be happy with every aspect of the game.

Now, on to possibly offend a few people.  :)

For my part, I really have no real interest in most of the RP's that many players post.
Anyone who knows my family will know that I have hardly ever participated in any "roleplay" events.
That is not why I am here, unlike so many others that appear to be here to write story books.
I do play the role of my characters, but I am no story writer.
I don't complain about the players that do tend to write lots of RP's, that may be why they are here and that is how they have fun.
They don't complain (at least not to me) about me not writing/participating in many RP's.

We are all here to have fun and should be allowed to have fun in our own way, within the bounds set out by the game.
Unlike many games, BM gives us this forum and other tools to allow us, as players, to help change/improve the game we play.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Ah!

"the magic" does not mean wizards.

I look at my first post. I see i only say "maps are magic". I never say word about wizards or hocus pocus.

I join knights and sorcery game, I want - explore map. I want fight battles. I want become prince. I want magic sorcerers.

That's why people thought you were talking about 'magic' in the game.

Ocean Yong Kiran

• Knight
    • View Profile
Ah, I see.

Yes, this is my mistake then. But no, I am not concerned so strongly with magic. I am thinking of make game *dynamic* and moving and fun.

Work together is nice, but only work together to do the one boring thing the top person wants is not so much. Must there be no adventure at all? You create wonderful children's fort and then say no one can play in it.

But perhaps yes - I will try adventurer game soon, see how it is

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Adventurer is probably what you are looking for. But remember, adventurers are commoners. If you cross a nobleman, they will crush you and you can't do much to retaliate.

This game is 20 years old and it is anything but dynamic. It isn't the dev's fault however. The game was never designed with a big plan. People just added more stuff on top. If I have to describe BM, I'd describe it as a castle made out of sandbags. Just a lot of features piled on and on over the years.