Author Topic: 1 Ruler Per account  (Read 15370 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Ruler Per account
« Reply #30: March 17, 2019, 07:55:26 PM »
Thinking about this, the recent push towards larger realms will see many less realms and therefore most of the game will be ruled by just a few families.  I believe Vita said somewhere there are currently 46 realms total.  If each island ends up with only 4-5 larger realms, that would reduce the ruler population down to around 20 positions.  I am currently one of the 46, but it is unlikely that I would be one of the 20.

We could see 5-20 families "ruling" the game.

Very unlikely to have only 5 ruling 20 realms. Why? Because populous realms always have power hungry players who want to replace the existing ruler.

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 17, 2019, 09:51:41 PM »
And yet, how often does the leadership of Sirion, Obeah, Thal or most of the larger realms change?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 17, 2019, 10:54:28 PM »
And yet, how often does the leadership of Sirion, Obeah, Thal or most of the larger realms change?

Obia'Syelah has had 5 unique rulers in its lifetime (1 year, 10 months).
Sirion has had 2 unique rulers in the same time period.
Thalmarkin has had 6 unique rulers in the same time period.
Westgard has had 1 unique ruler in the same time period.
Avernus has had 2 unique rulers in the same time period (3 months younger than OS).
Nothoi has had 3 unique rulers in the same time period.
Shattered Vales has had 4 unique rulers in the same time period.
Perleone has had 4 unique rulers in the same time period.
Nivemus has had 1 unique ruler in the same time period.
Perdan has had 8 unique rulers in the same time period.

This does not include realm founders, rebellions, and such, just elected unique characters.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 18, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »

Yeah, rulers changed quite a lot in Thalmarkin. Not sure why you include that one...
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 18, 2019, 09:06:38 AM »
Yeah, rulers changed quite a lot in Thalmarkin. Not sure why you include that one...

Yeah, my bad.  I have not payed attention lately, but I was specifically thinking back to the time of Fingolfin. 
I believe he ruled Thal for a very long time.  King of Kings and all. 
Pretty sure he ruled through 2 or 3 different invasions before he finally left.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 18, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
Yeah, my bad.  I have not payed attention lately, but I was specifically thinking back to the time of Fingolfin. 
I believe he ruled Thal for a very long time.  King of Kings and all. 
Pretty sure he ruled through 2 or 3 different invasions before he finally left.

Well my first response would be.. 'So what?'
This probably means he is doing his job well. It is not a democracy where elections are run every month.

People can always rebel, protest, secede, ...
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 18, 2019, 05:07:52 PM »
Well my first response would be.. 'So what?'
This probably means he is doing his job well. It is not a democracy where elections are run every month.

People can always rebel, protest, secede, ...
Oh, I am not complaining.  I do not agree with 1 ruler per account, i was just following up from Zakky's response to an earlier post of mine.

Very unlikely to have only 5 ruling 20 realms. Why? Because populous realms always have power hungry players who want to replace the existing ruler.

Thinking about this, the recent push towards larger realms will see many less realms and therefore most of the game will be ruled by just a few families.  I believe Vita said somewhere there are currently 46 realms total.  If each island ends up with only 4-5 larger realms, that would reduce the ruler population down to around 20 positions.  I am currently one of the 46, but it is unlikely that I would be one of the 20.

We could see 5-20 families "ruling" the game.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 19, 2019, 02:06:16 AM »
Yao Ling did not form Nothoi.  She has been the banker there for most of its history, but she wasn't even a founding member of the realm.  And she only ruled it for a short time during a Daimon Invasion when the previous ruler disappeared.  Once the invasion was over, it was no longer the right time for a priest to lead a nation and she did not run in the next election.

Also, I was tired of being a ruler.

The thing that would stop people from having multiple rulers naturally is that running realms takes a lot of work.

I will note once again that I have ruled numerous realms over the years.  And each time it has been a great honor that the people elected me to do so.  I've never once taken power through a rebellion or a secession.  Every single time I was elected by my fellow realm mates to represent them.

In one case, the realm was destroyed not long after by the Daimons.  And that character was captured and deported to another island.  In the other cases, I got to a point where things were running well, I was getting tired of all the work, and there were other people who wanted to do it.  So I could hand the leadership over to someone else and I did.  Because running a realm takes a long time, and the more people there are in a realm the more time it takes.  I would prefer not to do that for a long time.  So after a time, election time comes, I announce that I'm not running this time, and someone else steps up to take over.  And I'm happy.

The point is that as we reduce the number of realms by getting smaller realms to join larger ones, we will concentrate the number of people willing to spend the time to rule in a smaller number of realms with more players that takes more time to run.   Assuming we hit that happy medium, I will probably not lead another realm again, and I will be very happy indeed.  ;)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 19, 2019, 02:12:42 AM »
A funny thing.

I was just looking at the list of realms with double rulers.  Or people who rule realms on multiple continents.

In almost every case, I am a member of the government of a realm bitterly at war with them on one continent.  And then I'm a member of a government that is bosum allies with them on another continent.

That makes me chuckle.  ;)

I think it is a very good thing that this game emphasizes first names all the time, because it allows for some very interesting mixes across the continents that would otherwise be much harder to maintain.