Author Topic: Religious Map Mode  (Read 2113 times)

Greybrook

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Religious Map Mode
« Topic Start: March 22, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »
Title: Religious Dynamic Map Overlay

Summary: I was thinking while I was playing last night that it is fairly difficult inside the game to understand the different religions that are on each continent, where their current influence is or what religions are dominant on the continent without searching the wiki. While I have not played the priest game (yet), this is something I would like to know.

Details: Create a map overlay or information tab which nobles can understand the religions that are active or dominant in each continent either by statistical value or see on the map what the dominant religion is in each region. Happy to discuss what the details of this could look like.

Benefits: Make religion more visible to the player base through the use of graphics or other digestible content whom are not priests.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: Could take away the mystery and work that goes into the Priest. I also don't know if this is covered in some way already.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Religious Map Mode
« Reply #1: March 22, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
I think there are specific reasons why it is not available for everyone at all times.
What those are? I don't know. Like you say, maybe it would be too easy and break the little mystic there is.

What I know from much earlier when I did play the priest game is the following:
- Elders are able to do a religion spread (from their own religion). At the time I played, this would give you a horrible looking map. (for example The_Church_of_Sartan/Religious_Spread)
- A way for priests to inspect religion levels (all of them) in a certain region.

Anyone who actively plays or played the priest game, feel free to correct me.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 22, 2019, 02:10:52 PM »
Wimpie is more or less correct.

What you are asking for is to make completely public information that is currently only available through costly actions by limited numbers of characters. I can certainly see your argument for this, but I'm hesitant to simply flip it around and make it all easily accessible to everyone.

I may have to think about this some.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 22, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »
An actual map showing regional spread of religions would probably be a bad idea. I can remember many times when religions have been declared evil and had to play a cat and mouse game with realms that wanted to destroy their temples. The Angels of Ulrith on Dwilight is probably the most recent case of this, but I can think of many others. The Church of Ibladesh, for example, had a long cat and mouse game to stop all its temples from being destroyed.

I'm far from convinced that giving people a map to pinpoint the locations of temples they need to destroy would do much to improve the religious game.

Greybrook

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 22, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
Thanks for everyones input.
Perhaps a map may not be the best idea but what other alternatives could there be to perhaps promote the religion game? Perhaps similar to the realm list without the geographic or specific stats, the religion tab could depict them all and have a description of the main tenants? Similar to the wiki but IC. Or for reasons which I 100% understand, keep religion localised?
I enjoy the concept of religion in the game and would be interested what more could be done to enhance it?

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 23, 2019, 02:16:44 PM »
I fully agree that listing temples would be a bad idea.  It is why I no longer list temples on the Daishi page.  I did before certain individuals used that as a hit list to go and destroy every single temple on that list.  The only reason Daishi survived is that I managed to get to Old Grehk days ahead of the last temple burning and got the lord of their capital to convert for the explicit reason of building a new temple in secret.  That is how close the Daimons got to wiping out Daishi.  One temple.  In secret.

So...yeah.  No listing temples on the map.

Something I might be interested in adding though is an added layer to the dynamic map showing the dominant religion in each region.

It would still leave the elders able to create the detailed religion maps and statistics, for their own use, but none of those are easily shareable with the other players.  Having a simple overlay on the dynamic map would allow all members of a religion to see the spread of their faith and where other faiths are standing against it.