Author Topic: Help with OOC Ban  (Read 9346 times)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Help with OOC Ban
« Topic Start: July 19, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »
So, I think this is the right place.

I have a problem in my realm, there is a player/char who pauses and unpauses his char every day (last time he pause was 12h ago, and he unpaused just 1h ago), and travel alone.

He doesn´t answer to any messages I send him, he already joined another realm, stayed for a few weeks and then returned to mine just to pause again right after.

Now he just unpaused and tryed to take on a city of another realm.

I have asked my judge to ban him, but my question is, due to this pausing/unpausing thing can I OOC ban him?
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Help with OOC Ban
« Reply #1: July 19, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
Heh, I'm assuming you mean me. OOC bans, so I understand, are for things about cheating.

While I also disagree about the ability to pause and unpause so easily (I am actually surprised I was able to do it in such short time. Before it used to take a lot longer), in the end, what you have listed: ignoring you, pausing/unpausing as per the game allows it, changing realms, trying to take over a city, none of those are against the rules. Possibly not something that is good for the realm (Dude, I freaking hate Nothoi as should be clear anyway), also not anything wrong.

That all said, I do agree that the pausing mechanics should be looked into. But apart from that, try to handle this issue ICly instead of attempting an OOC ban out of possible player frustration. Believe me, I've had situations where I too wanted to OOC ban someone, but in the end, although it wasn't exactly the best of form, it wasn't wrong.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 19, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »
Pausing/unpausing can NEVER EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be a grounds for banishment, IC or OOC.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 19, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
Heh, I'm assuming you mean me. OOC bans, so I understand, are for things about cheating.

While I also disagree about the ability to pause and unpause so easily (I am actually surprised I was able to do it in such short time. Before it used to take a lot longer), in the end, what you have listed: ignoring you, pausing/unpausing as per the game allows it, changing realms, trying to take over a city, none of those are against the rules. Possibly not something that is good for the realm (Dude, I freaking hate Nothoi as should be clear anyway), also not anything wrong.

That all said, I do agree that the pausing mechanics should be looked into. But apart from that, try to handle this issue ICly instead of attempting an OOC ban out of possible player frustration. Believe me, I've had situations where I too wanted to OOC ban someone, but in the end, although it wasn't exactly the best of form, it wasn't wrong.

I am thinking more of something in the lines of " misbehaving as a player.  This is a ban about player behaviour, not character behaviour." This is, at least for me, abuse of the game pause/unpause  trait, taking advantage of game mechanics for personal gain.

I agree that pause/unpause are not ground for banishment, but such abuse of the game mechanics enters give grounds for it.

I just wish to clarify if this enters on the lines of " misbehaving as a player" or not.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: July 19, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
What I think you failed to mention was how Ramuh had been asking for a ban since last month. Don't even try going into the player misbehavior part, my good friend, as I think you'll open a debate about your own stake as ruler who doesn't want Nothoi to get into war with Fronen due to what my character's doing.

Sure, the pause/unpause thing was a bit unexpected, as I recall that unpausing wasn't possible for at least 2 days. Meh. Even if I didn't pause I still would have done the exact same thing anyway. And what about it? I didn't pause suddenly just to avoid getting caught. In fact you'll notice that the exact opposite is true. At least Fronen now has an entire turn to capture me. Exploiting the system would be if I waited until now to attempt a takeover, then actually got banned, and immediately paused to avoid capture.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 19, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »
Until last month you were in Sint. Not Nothoi. You were their problem not mine.

And this pause, unpause thing goes from months now. Before you moved to Sint, you already pause/unpaused every few days.

Then travelled a little, paused again, unpaused, this comes from months now.

Chance or no, this is abuse of game mechanics.

If it weren´t for the pause/unpause thing a IC ban would be sufficient. But this pause - wait 2 days - unpause - do something harmfull - pause again - wait 12h - unpause again makes me wonder if it is not the time for a ooc ban.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:48:48 PM by Naidraug »

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #6: July 19, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
How about you bring this up with some proof about how my actions were intent on abusing game mechanics, especially when the game does in fact allow me to pause and unpause like that, and it is, may I remind you, an Inalienable Right to pause whenever I wish? (Technically: Because I have real life to attend to. In this case it was more like I was simply bored and wanted to cycle to other characters.)

While there is nothing said about how soon I can unpause, the game already has some sort of timer that prevents too frequent and too recent unpausing.

Here's my take: You're just really invested in your rulership of Nothoi, don't like how I just threw a weird loop that causes trouble for you and your realm. Wake up, smell the nice flowering plants of summer, friend: That stuff's par for the course.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 19, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
Noble returns   (23 days, 12 hours ago)
Jackson Li has unpaused the character Ramuh and rejoined the game.

Noble paused   (23 days, 1 hour ago)
Jackson Li has paused his character Ramuh Artemesia (Priest of Estahsism).

Out-of-Character from ***** *****   (23 days, 1 hour ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (22 recipients)
He has a habit of unpausing, then repausing after a few hours.

R*** ******

Noble returns   (6 days, 16 hours ago)

Noble left the realm   (6 days, 15 hours ago)
Ramuh has abandoned the realm and joined Sint.

Noble joins realm   (3 days, 2 hours ago)
Ramuh Artemesia (Priest of Estahsism) has traveled to your capital and left everything behind, pledging his service to your realm. He is now an unaligned noble in Nothoi.

Noble paused   (13 hours, 27 minutes ago)
Jackson Li has paused his character Ramuh Artemesia (Priest of Estahsism).

Noble returns   (2 hours, 48 minutes ago)

And this is just a log from last month. this is not the first time you abuse this.

I kept out the OOC message sender, because there is no need to say who it is, it is there just to show that this is a common thing for you. Unpause, then a few hours later pause again.

Now I´ll stop replying and will wait for a GameDev, GM or someone not involved to reply to my question

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 19, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
So he tried to swipe a city from another realm (I assume he failed). Ban him IC for that.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: the war situation
« Reply #9: July 19, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »
this is, at least for me, abuse of the game pause/unpause  trait, taking advantage of game mechanics for personal gain.

What is he gaining from it?

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #10: July 19, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
So he tried to swipe a city from another realm (I assume he failed). Ban him IC for that.
A question on the mechanics, but do paused characters show up to be banned?  I never made a note of it when my character was a judge.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 19, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »
The ban shows up on their family page instantly, I believe, if that's what you meant.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 19, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
that's not what he's asking.. he's asking if it's possible for someone to avoid being banned by being paused and thus using pausing/unpausing as a tool for click war between judge and dodgy character.

whilst i know there's an enforced gap between pausing and unpausing (wasn't it days before? haven't really paused stuff before. aside from pausing an advy to make a new noble).. i've no idea if there's one between unpausing and pausing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:05:11 PM by fodder »
firefox

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 19, 2011, 04:06:52 PM »
Sounds like a case for the Titans/Magistrates to me, tbh. If you feel he's violating the game rules and/or social contract, report him.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: July 19, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »
That should have been the step taken in the first place.

Anyway to answer the mechanics question, pausing doesn't protect from bans or executions or...I assume deportations. Such things have been established for a while now you know. A recent example could be seen from the time Vistuvis Adriddae paused while in Netherworld prison and still got fed to minor daemons. It's not an NPC realm-only feature. ALL realms can do that now. What it does protect against is capture, and that's about it. The tradeoff is the inability to do anything.