Author Topic: Question about sub-classes and unit recruitment.  (Read 2775 times)

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
I know it is in the inalienable rights that a player cannot be told what kind of unit to recruit. I also know there is some level of expectation that if your character has the warrior class you are expected to command a unit of your choosing. Is there any documentation or stance on if you are a Warrior/Infiltrator or Warrior/diplomat (or any other class/sub-class combo that might impact how your character is played) about not being forced to recruit a unit? The question was risen and I am curious if there is anything out there about not being forced to recruit a unit or punished for not based on what your class is.

A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
That's...an interesting situation. It's a bit weird with how it interacts with Inalienable Rights, and I don't believe we've ever had a precedent for that, so I'd like to discuss it with the Titans before I give a solid answer.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
Thanks, appreciate the quick feedback and look forward to hearing their thoughts as well!
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
After discussion with the Titans, we have come to the following conclusions:

The IR guarantee you can choose your unit type and your class. They do not guarantee that you are free from orders to recruit a unit, whether this is an order directed at your character personally, or at all characters in the realm of a given class.

Furthermore, there is no protection against being ordered to do things that you feel conflict with your current class. Just because you want to be an infiltrator, or a diplomat, does not mean that your realm must accept you taking actions of your choice specific to that class; indeed, there may frequently be very good political reasons not to permit such things.

Personally, I would strongly encourage any realm leaders to work with realm members who wish to be in classes that do not specialize in combat to make good use of the abilities of those classes, but not doing so does not violate the Inalienable Rights.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
Appreciate the response.
Thanks!