Author Topic: Commoner Questions  (Read 9753 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Noble being declared a commoner
« Topic Start: May 03, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »
From Rania's letter, this seems like the relevant bit.

"The faith already has a word for that, written down in the earliest days. Literally by his own hand, Zebidaih Kabrinski has chosen the path of the Infidel: One of those who bear false witness against Obeah, her priesthood, or the teachings of the Faith. For this as well as his bitter, vile disrespect, the grace of my favor is utterly withdrawn. I will no longer protect him from those that mean him ill. I've shielded him too often from the rod, and it seems the child's mind has spoiled. Henceforward, he will be stripped of the title of Lord Templar and busted down to scholar adept, the initiate rank reserved for commoners. However, due to his longstanding debt with the church, he will be afforded one day to return the gold he has taken from the temples otherwise his entry will be entirely stricken from the Book of Names, meaning he will be removed from the faith. If removed, he will be stripped of all his titles, including command of the army as Marshal, and forbidden from holding any lands or offices beyond simple estates. For as long as he remains in disfavor, claiming him as a friend or ally will only tarnish. For now, this is sufficient, and in my opinion mercifully fair, chastisement."

And if that is the passage you are referring to, dustole, nowhere does that state that you are disallowed from being those things because you are a commoner.

You were told that you were being stripped of those privileges due to your political clashes with the powerful in the realm, and being demoted to a church rank normally reserved for commoners due to your clashes with the powerful in the church.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but if you want me to be on your side in this, you need to a) stop wilfully misinterpreting things other people say/do into the worst possible forms, and b) don't make every attempt of mine to get the full story be like pulling teeth. I get it, you feel like you were treated badly and like they're abusing RP rules. But if you're right, then giving me the whole story, clearly and straightforwardly, from the beginning, is the best way to get something done about it. Just posting one more quote as if that's the pièce de résistance that will, by itself, prove your entire point and make everything come completely clear is both ineffective and extremely frustrating from my poiint of view.

So if you disagree with D'Espana here, please post specific quotes, along with the specific reasons they are relevant, to support every one of your points, or admit that, just possibly, you might have overreacted here.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan