Author Topic: Angry Peasants - Remove, Keep, or Change?  (Read 5845 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Peasants - Remove, Keep, or Change?
« Topic Start: August 02, 2019, 05:30:27 AM »
I remember this mechanic reaching its current form because people were frustrated with the regular use of total-war tactics. At the time peasant mobs were so puny and weak they just served to help you kill everyone that much faster. It was relatively easy to depopulate an entire region and it could literally take years (real world) to get it back. Now it seems more geared towards shutting down small raiding parties, which were never a problem.

I agree the peasant mobs are out of hand, but we want to avoid a change that would bring back the days of every war being a scorched-earth campaign. The simplest solution would be to just scale them back.

We had an older thread about this with a lot of suggestions that might be worth revisiting.

I've also just come up with a new idea. What if when peasant mobs form they're automatically set as "retreated" and they can't rally on their own. These retreated mobs still prevent looting from taking place, but they don't trigger battles. The idea is the peasants are smart enough not to attack a trained army head on, but they're prepared to fend off looters. Then instead of fighting the peasant partisans in battle the occupying army will have to hunt for them. If they kill them all they can loot again. We could also leave the potential for the defending army to come in and rally the peasants for a battle, after which point they should disperse as normal.