Author Topic: The Tales of Nemean JeVondair Renodin  (Read 52129 times)

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Tales of Nemean JeVondair Renodin
« Reply #75: October 06, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »

Welcome back, get comfortable. I got two letters for you. One is a pure letter and what follows will be Nemean's response. Its a letter that I wrapped in a bit of RP. Sometimes I like to do that. Give it some more weight, depth or feeling. Just that tiny little bit extra you know. Hope you enjoy.

Letter from Alyssa Kingsley

Sir Nemean,

As the northern armies ransack our lands, I find myself in the difficult position of being unable to defend them from the host that has been massed against us.  Thus, we are trapped behind our walls, and I myself in the Imperator's Tower in the duke's palace, with little to do but read reports of battles and the wanton slaughter and robbery of my people and host tedious meetings with quartermasters and courtier.  My tower while spacious is tucked away in a far corner of the palace and it is unfortunate that it is out of the way of most people's thoughts and minds.  I am sure my predecessor enjoyed the solitude but I miss seeing the faces of the countrymen who I have come to respect and care for dearly.  I take a walk through the gardens or the city and train with the sword when I can, but more often than not I sit at this desk and write letters to generals and pen orders.  It was not exactly the life I expected the Imperator lived but I understand the necessity.

In some ways I miss my time as a simple knight.  I still bore the weight of my realm, but to a lesser degree.  It feels as if all of my people look to me and I must not fail them, for the stakes of my failure now are much higher.  Perhaps you should be glad you were not chosen for such a high position yourself.  Or perhaps being a Prince of your people you feel this weight all the time.

You have a new king in Eponllyn.  Have things improved?  You said you felt lonely before, and ignored.  While I see them less and less, held by the paper chains in this tower, mine own realmmates remain busy and loyal to the defense of our realm.  I have even had the fortune of training some of the newer nobles in swordplay on a few occasions.  I can confirm that our realm breeds talented warriors, and true knights.  They are eager to follow the path of righteousness and honour.  They will go out and do good despite the bleakness of the war and the world around us.

Regards,

Alyssa Kingsley
Imperatrix of Perdan
Dame of Bisciye

An Open Hand

The hue of soft yellow pastel crinkled with lines of biscotti make for a piece of parchment that gives off a well worn complexion. Light stains left where the palm of a hand has rested lazily. A deep and oily oker fingerprint almost presents itself as yellow wax. The vellum is thick and was once quite rich was it not for its repeat use.

Impe..

Alyssa,

You do you not fail your people. In service there is one of the greatest honors you can give. That is why we often look up at those that render great service onto the many that cannot do it themselves. There are many soldiers but they cannot do what the general does. All their eyes look up at the general. Although the soldiers die once, the general dies over and over again. And yet, the soldiers greatly appreciate their general. Despite dying.

When you were a simple knight. The same happened. The soldiers died, willingly. Because they believed in you. You never were a simple knight Alyssa. When I rode up to you the first time. A great southern army stood at your back. There were two warriors at your side. Your warriors. They admired you. And I saw why.

It never gets easier. At least I haven't known it to become less. Expectation is a great and terrible thing. A monster with rows upon rows of teeth. Its bite, burns more remorselessly than pitch. Disappointment and Disillusion. The faltering hope that fades from once believing eyes. The unspoken question, why didn't you make it work, as life leaves their body.

You've risen. Ascended to a place where you are too, lonely. You understand why you do it though. I saw that in you as well. That you care is a great sign of responsibility. That it is heart-wrenching, is a burden you must shoulder. Forever. The moment you no longer feel that weight, you should no longer be a general or a leader. I complained about being lonely and I still am. There are those that know what I was raised for. They do not want it. Others are hopeful and glance but do not dare to look yet, as yours do openly at you. The burden is there still though.

I think of that moment when I first saw you. How your people looked at you. Their desire to protect you. Knowing that they had a treasure that was theirs to protect. Something good. Even if they didn't yet know what kind of good, or what good, would come from it. It wasn't important to them. They felt and that was enough. They were right.

In admiration,

Nemean

Down below the text, the distance of about the width of a hand, a circular stain resides solemnly.